Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Stella
November 06, 2012, 07:50:39 PM
Andy has a good point.

Also there is a gap between the 5000 and 8000 (PE3/4 ish) that needs filling.

Regards,

Trevor 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 06, 2012, 07:58:59 PM
A size 14000 or 16000 Stella would be top of my list - it's a glaring gap which Shimano must be aware of give the huge popularity of 16000 after-market spools.
Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:35:45 PM by Mark Harris

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 01:24:44 PM
A size 14000 or 16000 Stella would be top of my list - it's a glaring gap which Shimano must be aware of give the huge popularity of 16000 after-market spools.

^^ oh yes, that would be sweet.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 01:48:48 PM
If they did that, it would be no different to what they currently do with the 2500/3000, 5000/6000 and 8000/10000. It would simply be a Shimano 16000 spool on a 8000/10000 sized body.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 01:52:08 PM
Yep that would be perfect Brandon, and save us all loads of money.  After-market spool manufacturers might not be quite so happy  :P .

In that gap you mention Trevor, there is already a Stella and Twinpower SW 6000, in both fast and slow gearing versions.
Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:57:09 PM by Mark Harris

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 02:18:54 PM
Yep that would be perfect Brandon, and save us all loads of money.  After-market spool manufacturers might not be quite so happy  :P .

In that gap you mention Trevor, there is already a Stella and Twinpower SW 6000, in both fast and slow gearing versions.

I think you are missing Brandon's point Mark?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 03:32:24 PM
I might be. What is Brandon's point?

My original point was that a size 14000 or 16000 Stella would be great.  If it was a 10000 body with a 14000 or 16000 size spool on it, that would also be fine as it would save folks the $200-300 they now have to spend on a spool to make the reel usable for GT fishing.
Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:30:16 PM by Mark Harris

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 03:54:11 PM
I guess it makes sense for the them to utilize one main body across a couple of sizes...

The SW 4000 we have here is the 5000 body with a smaller rotor and spool (makes for a relatively strong 4000). I use a 6k spool on my 5000 which feels perfect in the PE3-5 range...

The only concern I have, just based on what I have seen when servicing... is the number of bent spool shafts on 10k body's (compared to 20k). The 20k shaft is approx 20% thicker than the 10k shaft, but both have the same drag ratings. Replacing the OEM spool with an alternative one can place a significant amount of additional pressure to the internals (depending on the drag rating of the new spool)...just need to be aware

I like the idea of a 20k body with a 10k rotor and 16k spool... :)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 04:09:44 PM
Are they going to make a new 30k real body?, it seems that 400m of PE8 on a shimano yumeya max spool would cover most of the average mans capabilities, unless you were large marlin hunting on a spinning out fit or blue fin off south NZ or PEI. Interesting as the market niche seems very small.

I was wishing for an inbetween 14 to 16k body rather than the larger shimano spool, that would be a real nice reel ;).
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 04:38:39 PM
Clem, your point on the relative diameters of the spool shaft is a good one and someone told me this before - probably at GTPopping but I can't remember!

Since then I have always consciously tried to fish a 10000 (regardless of spool size) with no more than 12 kg of drag (inside Shimano's recommended ideal drag). That's fine for GT fishing in deepish water but in gnarly terrain and/or shallow water it is far from ideal. For example, I remember standing next to Andy fishing the back reef at Soda and we both agreed we were scared to cast a 10000 with a 16000 spool there!

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 04:46:59 PM
I was looking more in terms of body size than spool.

Say a 6500 (between a 5000 and 8000) for PE 3-5, 14000 for 5-8, 20000 for 8-10, and 25000 for 10-12,

Each standard spool capable of holding 300 metres of line at the usable PE rating (PE 4, PE6, PE 8, PE 10)

Just a thought.

Regards,

Trevor   

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 05:31:16 PM
I think my point is we already have that now so even if Simano were to build it, it doesn't actually make any difference to us! The only difference is we would have a Shimano branded spool.

I am sure that the new reel will have some improvements but to be perfectly frank, what improvements are there going to be that will really make a difference to how you fish? I can't say that the 08 Stella really made any difference to me over the FA that it replaced. I do like the line lay system but outside of that, nothing has been noticeable to me.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 05:52:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification Brandon. It would still save us a lot of money though would it not?  Always assuming the temptations of blinging up are resisted :) .

I think your most recent post opens up the idea of what changes would people like to see on a new Stella?

Aside from what has already been written on sizes, I would throw in:

1. A solid, one piece handle which matches the quality of the rest of the reel.  I have never liked the Shimano folding handle design (over-intricate with masses of parts and it can sometimes be a complete swine to attach to the reel). 

2. No more automatic bail arms.

As you say though, none of those would really change the way we fish.

It is hard to think of things that would.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 07:23:42 PM
Well, it won't save you any money if you rush out and buy it considering you've already got the 10000 and aftermarket spools!!

On changes, I would love to see a one piece handle like the MC Works handle although I would settle for a better knob than the current septon knob.

Outside of that, well, this is a more general view outside of the Stella itself and that is I would really like to see the manufacturers build stronger reels. I am destroying my mid-sized reels and it is hardly because I am a particularly strong angler.

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 10:27:08 PM
Below is a quote from Alan about what he has found out so far, not confirmed.

I've been fishing hard for bits and pieces of information over the past few days, and here is what I got so far:

New finishing process that's supposed to increase corrosion resistance dramatically.
New spool and lip design, and new coating process- Apparently Shimano received an increasing number of complaints about pitting appearing where the lip meets the spool on current SW reels.
CI4+ rotor! That's Shimano's version of Daiwa's Zaion composite.
New stronger oscillation gears - Probably they can afford the extra heft with the weight they cut on the rotor.
Better positioned drive gear that's less offset for better efficiency.

These are from more than one source, based on prototypes, with varied degrees of credibility. I'd say all in all it's 85% credible, so take it for what it's worth. I initially thought I should just keep to myself until I get something that's 100% credible, but then I said what the heck, I'll just share it because it's all about our fun tackle addiction and no one will die if the actual production reels eventually had different features 

I'll keep my ears wide open and if you know or hear something, you know how to reach me!

The whole link.

http://jignpopforum.com/topic/649-next-generation-stella-sw/