Tommy Du

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If Fluro carbon worth the money???
November 22, 2012, 08:00:54 PM
Hi guys
 After using Fluro most life I decided to turn back to mono , I'm
Not sure if it really worth the extra cash as here in Sydney we have major leather jacket problems and even thou it claims to be invisible they still find it. My favorite line was the Daiwa shock leader but they no longer sell it and now I'm paying about $2 buck a meter and going through 50 meters a fishing trip so just can't justify it any more.
 What brand and cost is everyone else using or do you just use mono
Used to drop now onto pop

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: If Fluro carbon worth the money???
November 22, 2012, 10:34:23 PM
Hi Tommy,
What purpose you are using fluro for? In case it is for jigging, I am for fluro more than nylon, mainly because of its higher abrasion resistance and soaking resistance (nylon loses a lot of strengh after several hours in water). But I know some experienced anglers who use nylon for jigging successfully.
What one should remember when using fluoro for jigging shock leader is that its thickness should correlate with the type and weight of the jig in order not to spoil its action.

As for brands , I used Duel, Varivas, YGK fluro for shock leaders for jigging and they all are pretty fine, though I like Duel Shock Leader Powecarbon most of all because of its softness. YGK Galis FC Absorber is also very good with the greatest "strengh to thickness" ratio among above said models.

DMV+ Nylon from YGK is also interesting for jogging, because it is said to have almost the same abrasion resistance as fluoro, but at the same time it is very supple thanks to its nylon nature, so not so bad for jig action.
Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:36:54 PM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 06:59:27 AM
Hi Tommy

A few little tip for you to save some $bucks$: Get to know your sounder like the back of your hand.
                                                                        Get to know the difference between leather jackets and kingfish on the sounder.
                                                                        Find out where the kingfish are holding up on the reef on any given day. By using the sounder.

WoW you go through 50 meter a trip you must have more money than senses.

Cheers Rob

Cheers,
Rob

Tommy Du

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 07:55:28 AM
That's for reply boys, I'm not to bad at fish finder and can tell what jackets are from kings ,  for some reason they are always together when fishing out of Sydney . It is really hard to ever have kingfish holding on reefs here, were as when I fish swr and other places you can see kingfish holding sl.
Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:11:05 AM by Tommy+Du
Used to drop now onto pop

Dave Kreutz

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 09:13:09 AM
 one should remmember that Fluro carbon does not degrade ever :( having said that Mono takes around 600 years  perhaps this is another consideration

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 01:15:39 PM
The sinking rate of fluorocarbon leader differs to that of mono/nylon leader due to the heavier molecular of PVdF molecules , fluorocarbon leader is preferred in jigging than mono/nylon leader .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 09:06:43 PM
The sinking rate of fluorocarbon leader differs to that of mono/nylon leader due to the heavier molecular of PVdF molecules , fluorocarbon leader is preferred in jigging than mono/nylon leader .

Jon .

Yes, John, fluoro is heavier, but I can not see any advantages of this for saltwater jigging. In case you use fluoro as a mainline in freshwater with sinking hard baits or spoons in 10-20g range, yes, it has a sence, but when using 200g jig or more in the sea, I do not think fluoro helps it sink... and moreover, I noticed that heavy fluoro spoils the action of the jig very much. So, when I have to use more than 130Lb shock leader for jigging, I tend to use only nylon.... I do not know if I am right, but this is my understanding...

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 10:59:33 PM
Dmitrii ,

I am not much of a jigger but for us here in Indonesia , we use fluorocarbon leader more often than not when jigging , perhaps this is due to our tendency to follow the Japanese friends who use fluorocarbon leader and have reasonable successes than when using nylon .
Their reasonings are vary from thinner leader to less stretch as well as less visible to fish due to closer refractive index of fluorocarbon to water .

Jon .

Jon .

Yes, John, fluoro is heavier, but I can not see any advantages of this for saltwater jigging. In case you use fluoro as a mainline in freshwater with sinking hard baits or spoons in 10-20g range, yes, it has a sence, but when using 200g jig or more in the sea, I do not think fluoro helps it sink... and moreover, I noticed that heavy fluoro spoils the action of the jig very much. So, when I have to use more than 130Lb shock leader for jigging, I tend to use only nylon.... I do not know if I am right, but this is my understanding...
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2013, 06:35:27 PM
We don't use it on GT's but everything else.Squid,snapper,JohnDory, Gurnard,
Sea salmon,Kingies,and yes when I go chasing doggies it is a must.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!