Corey Howell

• Fusilier
  • R E L E A S E that G T
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: leader for big jig dogs
November 07, 2012, 03:30:10 PM
Stu - hows the ciguatera out there in the Chesterfields - big pelagics OK?

Corey Howell

• Fusilier
  • R E L E A S E that G T
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 03:31:44 PM
i mean big doggies / spanish et al ? safe to eat out there ?

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 04:53:53 PM
We ate wahoo and one doggie with no obvious ill effects. I understand the pelegics are all safe so kept a yellowfin and a mahimahi. Released everything else including coral trout and of course the GT's, although the sharks got some of these and the released dogtooths.

Corey Howell

• Fusilier
  • R E L E A S E that G T
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 05:16:54 PM
sounds like trip of a lifetime mate - great effort!

Lars Nielsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: the doggie and the deep blue sea
December 09, 2012, 07:23:22 AM
sobering stuff reading thru the posts rgds jigging XL doggies, and the broad consensus that most-if-not-all of em r simply going to just blow you away. no contest. despite all the technology in yr $ gear investment, travel expenditure and effort, practice, experience etc etc. and not to forget time spent on forums ;)

thats one helluva summation of the doggie as a worthy opponent. and after being repeatedly [0 from 12 encounters and counting] blown away on 100lb braid and Z6500, well.......i'm not about to refute that conclusion

to take the discussion into realms i most likely cant afford - and prob not physically handle [and without taking all the fun out of it like the 130lb-chair-outfit-in-the-covering-board tactics the Van guys resort to] what happens when you go all out with gear and try stopping the bastards with 200lb braid on custom ultra heavy spin gear? is anyone managing to bully their way beyond the simple laws of physics as laid down by XL doggies?

gym memberships? roids? amphetamines ?

good luck!

Corey
Solomon Islands

I am not talking out of personal experience here, as I have yet to encounter doggies in this size range.

But I know for some guys the key to succes when hooking up unstoppable dogtooth tuna has been to flick the bail and take the boat to deeper water to fight the fish from there. Apparently the fish tend to flee to deep water - away from the reef. And obviously it is more difficult for the fish to cut a semi-slack line on the rocks.

Like I said, some have had great success with this method but seem to keep it to themselves. You might give it a try.

Lars

Corey Howell

• Fusilier
  • R E L E A S E that G T
  • Liked:
December 09, 2012, 12:42:35 PM
gracias for that info Lars!

have used the "give em freespool to change their mind" approach with success in other big fish situations but have to admit havent been game to use it on dogs [counterintuitive as it is  :o ]

since prev posts i've been getting the hang of the 'hook em hold em drag em' approach - gunning the boat out into the blue the second we get connected, with hand on the spool for extra drag and on the bail to stop it lifting, big improvement over just sitting parked on the edge whilst they take you to the cleanes, but unfor so far they're still making it to the bottom before we can get em out to the 200 metre mark

will take a leap of faith and try flipping the bail instead of stomping it

luck!

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2013, 06:27:57 PM
Why isn't anyone talking about Fluorocarbon Leader.????Yo-Zuri H.D.knots well to the main line as it's considered a supple leader be it your FG knot would need to be double the length of a popping one.The Disappearing Pink is all but invisible in water,has twice the scratch resistance as mono and every good Kingie fisher I now won't use anything else as they can be very leader shy also.It goes up to 400 lb.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!