Derek Mock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi

GT fishing out of port douglas for 4 days in two weeks time.
Wondering if anyone has reports of GT's, coral trout etc?

Thanks in advance

Derek

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
I just did a night trip and the fishing was extremely quiet but it was bad tides. We didn't chase GTs but did see some good areas heading out where there was current and the fusilier schools we're up.
Are you doing a charter and how far would you travel? I have a few areas up that way where GTs hold.

Derek Mock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I am doing a charter/guide.
Adam from "FaFun" sportfishing I used last year for some good results.

Ben Zamo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I was south of that area (noggin reef) a couple of weeks ago before the new moon and the fishing was good, free swimming macks and GT's in abundance, fusiliers thick as I've ever seen them before. The lead up to the new moon this time of the year is when the fish are spawning and it's red hot, don't forget the Coral reef fin fish closures, this year it's from the 12 October to 16 October and 11 November to 15 November.
Fish for the Future

Derek Mock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for that information, luckily I booked week of the 29th but didn't realize there was a closure on the reef.

Cheers

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Derek mate,how you keeping ?

Are we hooked on GTs now ?

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Derek,
The "Reef Closures" only stop the taking of coral reef finfish species. (go to fishweb or similar for list) So GT's mackerel etc are not affected, nor is catch and release fishing (within reason) as the idea is to let the reef fish do their thing for spawning.