Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reel Capacity for big YFT
October 10, 2012, 08:08:00 PM
I am wondering if i need to change my GT spools to a lighter line for more capacity to target big YFT in very deep waters.

Here in Kona, most of the big YFT are found beneath schools of porpoise around the 2000m deep mark. Typically the YFT's in the "Porpoise School" are between 70 and 100 kilos.
For my GT rigs I have 18000 stella spools with PE8 line, and 20000 spools with PE12 line. I am concerned that a big YFT will strip all the line off of the 20000 spool with PE12. Should i convert the 20K spool to PE8 line for the capacity
Will a large fish run straight down without stopping, or do they stop at a certain depth and start their circling? I have only caught small ones before under the 10 kilo size range, so i have no idea at what i should expect for the big ones.
This is all assuming that i even hook one of these things ::)  Between the massive fleet of trollers, hand liners, and charter boats that chase the Porpoise School, i think my chances are pretty slim!!! 
Does anyone have any advice for jumbo yft in water this deep?
Thanks! 

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Reel Capacity for big YFT
October 10, 2012, 08:33:39 PM
Nathan,

If the fish are that big and running down into cool water it can allow them to go harder. Safest would be 350m of PE8 on the 20k for the big cows. I am sure the Blue Fin hands can add some definitive advice. I have a 20k filled with 425m of PE7 though I think it overkill.

Good luck, I am going to try pandoro's in similar circumstances to what you describe later this year on hopefully similar sized YFT in Indonesia, if they don't come up top to feed.
Set the ray to GeeT

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 11, 2012, 05:23:30 PM
Nathan,

I think you could knock em' over on your GT gear bro... I received a phone call the other month from a very skilled fishing show host here in NZ about his trip to Panama chasing YFT. Like most of us here in NZ we aren't old enough to have seen the YFT in our own waters but have all heard the stories... So he was there catching YFT and he was to be honest disappointed with the lack of "fight"... Maybe it was all the stories but he thought a decent YTK here in NZ puts up more of an account for itself.

Guys here are using 20K Max with PE8 for 300+kg Bluefin, I think you will stop one of those YFT... Get pic's too  ;)

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 02, 2013, 01:29:38 PM
Hi Nathan,

2 seasons ago a mate and I hooked a couple of very chunky YTF at the back of the boat on cubes. The fish were in the vicinity of 80kgs (probably a tad less), and on the first run managed to take around 100-120m off us - but really no more than that. we were using a PE5, 70lb braid and never looked like running out on a spool of 380/400m.

If you're going to be hooking them down at a dept of 200m, and they're up to 100kgs, i reckon you're going to want at least 400m on your spool.

I personally wouldn't be concerned about using 70lb as they fight clean but long - capacity would be the key for me I guess. I'd be tying ont he best quality leader money can buy as well. pulling one of those things up from 200 metres is bound to put everything to the test.

I'd be very interested to see how you go mate!

Jeff Buttemer

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 04, 2013, 10:20:28 AM
Dang!  I don't know what it is about the cow YFT you guys are catching, but the ones I catch off the long range boats outs of Southern California that go down to the big YFT grounds off the tip of Baja can run out 700 yards of 100# braid.  I guess the difference is we are on anchor and can't chase them down.  I have seen 200-350 lb YFT's on these trips spool reels with over 800 yards of 100# braid and watched some peoples gear get thrown in the water (rod & reel) attached to a back-up rod/reel only to hope they get it back (with the fish attached).