Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Socotra Island Yemen - The Last Frontier
October 22, 2012, 05:10:31 PM
For many years there has been rumors, some basic reports and a few pictures of monster fish in Socotra Island Yemen. I have also spoken to a few local Emaratis in Dubai that have been to the island diving and the stories are amazing almost on a mystical level of strange species of fauna and flora, almost a Galapagas Al Arab! A lot of clients and friends have also asked about Socotra and I have always replied that one day we would go and see this amazing island for ourselves. But with all of the mainstream news painting a very dangerous picture it has always been pushed back and the trip has never materialized until now.

Over the last year we have been talking about Socotra and started to put the trip together. Initially there was a large group of guys interested in the trip but over time the team got reduced due to various reasons from safety concerns to dates to getting visas but eventually we had a team of 4 which consisted of Luke Wystra, Barry Kurten, Sami Ghandour and myself. Barry took the lead for the trip and put in a lot of research and time to put the trip together and did a fantastic job which far exceeded all of our expectations! Over the months we discussed the trip at length from what equipment to take to safety issues, medical concerns, logistics but finally the day arrived and we were ready to fly to Socotra to start an epic adventure which will certainly live on in my memory for a very long time for a lot of reasons from monster fish to spectacular scenery to great company and comradery. This report is from the 4 of us including pictures and accounts from the team.

We all met up in the Ocean Active Shop in Dubai the day before d-day (departure day) and put together the final details and planning from getting GPSs to charts to medical supplies. There was definately a nervous buzz in the group as we were embarking on a journey into the unknown, almost felt like one of the early explorers leaving to find new continents. Saying goodbye to the family, friends and not knowing what to expect or in fact if we would make it back in one piece!

Our destination, Socotra! Nautical Charts to check what and were to fish!

The team of intrepid travelers, Myself, Sami, Luke and Barry

Sami with some new Siren 300 Prototypes, beasts!

Sami at my place busy choosing and packing the final gear! What oh what to choose!

Finally the day arrived to start our journey and from the start we had obstacles, a heavy fog rolled into the United Arab Emirates bringing traffic and planes to a stand still. We were flying out of Sharjah on an airline I had never heard of and did not really want to find out to much about especially there safety record, but Barry seemed confident we were in safe hands......... We made it to the airport but then had a long delay of about 2 hours. Sharjah is a very different type of airport and we stood out like sore thumbs and this is how it was going to be for the rest of the trip. There was nothing we could really do so we sat on the floor waiting for the plane to arrive. We were still a bunch of nervous travelers and the only westerners waiting for the plane to Socotra via Yemen mainland! We got asked several times by airport officials if we were lost or in the correct line, we said yes we were going to Socotra and got anoer strange look, but after a while we got a few friendly smiles and one of the Socotrians came and spoke to us and put our minds at ease and this is when the whole trip started to change into one of the best adventures ever! Abdul the guy we met in the airport worked for the Yemeni Tourism Board and answered our queries as quick as we fired them, "are there pirates", " will we be safe" " can we drink the water" "are "there doctors on the island" etc. in te end he said that Socotra was a very safe place and the people were very friendly which we came to find out was very true. So with renewed excitement we started to think that this trip was actually going to be all we were hoping for!

Luke with all the gear in the fishing bug! A moving tackle store!

We eventually boarded the flight to Socotra via mainland Yemen and the first leg of the flight went well and one of the highlights was flying over Hallaniyat Islands as it was a perfect clear day and we could see all the islands! I was just hoping that Damon, Topper, Jason, Javed and all the boyz were catching good fish at Hallaniyat! I was also sitting next to a local Socotrian and he again gave me a wealth of information and it all sounded very positive and at the end Raed asked if we could be friends and of course I said yes and it was the start of making many new frineds on this trip. We flew into Yemen and were greeted by some great looking coastline with huge points, cliffs dropping into the sea and estuaries. We landed and had to change planes, been a bit nervous still we were all following each other like sheep but after a while we saw that everyone was very relaxed and as we were tourists everyone was very helpful. When we walked from our plane to the next plane taking us to Socotra we walked along the tar with no direction but pretty much at our own leisure. Just before we boarded the flight we asked about our bags and rod tubes and the pilot gave us a grave look and said the flight was full and not all the luggage was going to make the flight. A sheer look of panic crossed our faces and the pilot told us to go back to the other plane and find our bags. All 4 of us were speed walking back down the runway to our first plane and into the baggage area with Sami shouting away in Arabic (Sami was worth his weight in gold with his arabic!) to the baggage handlers to get our bags and rod tubes! Only in Yemen!! With all of our bags finally safely on the flight we boarded the small plane that we found out had no AC! Welcome to the Middle East heat! I was sitting next to Luke and next to one of the smelliest dirtiest toilets, quite an experience in the heat! After loosing about 10kgs from sweating we finally took off for our last leg to Socotra. One thing we noticed very quickly that safety operated very differently here and using mobile phones on take off and landing was the in thing to do much to our concern...... but luckily all ended well and we made all the flights safely!

First "friend" in Socotra, Raed, great guy and very helpful.

Our crazy flight, no ac, no seat allocation, the only think missing was goats which would happen on our return leg........ pure adventure!

We flew a short 50 minutes and started to descend into Socotra with some spectacular views of the islands with a setting sun. At touch down our world changed for the next week with life on Socotra. We were greeted at the airport by a mix of chaos and people. We were met by our contact and guides and they handled everything with amazing speed and efficiency and realized from the start that we were in good hands and Barry had done a great job! We were taken through the airport and loaded into some landcruiser SUVs and trucks and shuttled off to our hotel. We drove along a coastline with steep drops to an azure coloured sea and surrounded by wierd looking plants. We drove to the hotel and I felt like we were traveling back in time with goats, dust roads and old buildings, the place certainly had a lot of character. We arrived at the hotel and dropped off our bags and the guides told us they would be back to take us to dinner in an hour, so we quickly got out all the tackle, made up the rods, had a shower and went for a great dinner on the beach in a traditional fishing home, sitting on carpets on the floor with cushions, rice, fish, sweet tea and traditional pickles. Great start to the trip and got us straight into the swing of local life for the next week. After dinner we got back to the hotel and finished off our tackle and got ready for the next day. The plan was to initially stay at the hotel in the center of the island and fish a few places first to get an understanding of the fishing and areas and then decide we're we wanted to camp to be closer to the fish for the last few days.

The local airport

Our Cruiser for the trip, this thing was a beast in the mountains and sand!

The road outside the airport!

One of 2 petrol stations on the island!

Awesome dinner on the first night! Enjoying great Socotrian hospitality!

Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:32:05 PM by Nick Bowles

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Socotra Island Yemen - The Last Frontier
October 22, 2012, 05:18:01 PM
Early the following morning everyone was up at 04.00am and ready for breakfast which consisted of omlettes, french toast, beans which would become a staple part of our diet (with side effects!), Nandos sauce and of all things much to Lukes excitement Nuttela!! Breakfast of champions! After breakfast as first light was coming up and the local mosque started prayers we headed for our first chosen destination which was one of the small islands off the coast. The drive was going to be long at about 2 hours but gave us a good chance to look at some spectacular scenery. We drove along the coast, up passes and through mountains with ever changing terrain. Our interpreter was extremely knowledgable about the island, history and wildlife, telling us the names of all the trees and places. Our driver soon got the name Schumacker as he drove like a bat out of hell but new every pot hole and speed bump on the island plus he was one of the friendliest guys with a permanent smile and always humming or singing some Arabic song out of the blue which always put a smile on our faces. After many months of planning and a lot of apprehension we finally came to a small fishing village and were greeted by our captains and "boats" for the day. The boats were definately not what we were used to and were semi fiberglass and wood pangas with a single 40hp outboards and sat about 2 foot out of the water. But when in Rome. So we got onto the boats with a massive audience of local kids and some old folks look at us with some questioning looks of "what are you guys doing here!" we definately stuck out of the crowd, but everyone was extremely friendly and we never once felt unsafe or threatened and was totally the opposite, after a few hours we realized we could have been on any tropical island with monster fish lurking in the depths.

Tackle truck ready with all of our gear, the guides took the utmost care with securing the equipment, better than ever before!

Heading through town to get on the "highway"

Schumacker! Check out half the goat around the gear stick! Loved this!

Scenery!

Arriving at the local fishin village, very narrow streets and more goats!

Through Palm Plantations.

Finally we had arrived, a beautiful place!

Some of the local "boats" we used

Our boats coming to the shore

Our Sportsfisher........

Barry and Luke ready! Hit it!!

With all the initial excitement and taking of pictures and video we settled down on our boats and realized we were only doing a top speed of about 10 knots! Not quite Al Sayyad! But it was a calm day and weather clear, so still enjoyable. We had a long run to an island that we could see the whole time and slowly came closer and closer with agonizing slow speed. Finally we arrived at the island and were greeted by some excellent looking fishy water with current ripping, millions of sea birds and baitfish. We were fishing two per boat, Sami and myself were fishing in the one boat and Barry and Luke in the second boat. We luckily had a very slightly faster boat which might have been the momentum from two more full figured guys on the boat! But we let rip first as we got to the island with a large amount of GT adrenalin running though our vains, we were expecting the first monster GT to come up at anytime, but after a few casts we gathered ourselves and checked the currents and general lie of the the island and decided to head up current to the top of the island and do a long drift down the side of the island. Barry and Luke arrived and started fishing the current line and found some baitfish and Barry went on tight with the first GT of the trip a good start with a smallish GT! We were on the board.

Barry and Luke! The race is on at top speed of 10kts!

Sami and I on our boat

Luke chilling with all the time to get to the island, the boats were actually very comfortable and we could easily sleep when under way!

Inside of our boat

Good start to the trip, Barry with a nice GT caught in the back current in some bait schools.

Sami and I got to the top of the island with a strong current pushing onto the top point. Our captain was a local fisherman and a really great old guy and a reputation as one of the best fisherman in the area but they are by no means used to guys fishing with rods and reels never mind heavy popping gear, so it took a bit of time to explain how we wanted to set up the drifts and land fish, but luckily with Sami and his Arabic we got it right and our captain understood and got the hang of things very quickly. We put in the first casts and the first pop of the lures brought up a few big red shapes under our poppers and some aggressive hits from big Bohar Snapper, a double strike and a lot of whooping and the game was on.  The fish came to the boat quickly and Sami and I had our first fish in Socotra. We got a few pictures and released the fish.

Sami with the first Bohar Snapper and first fish on the Siren 300 prototype.

Stunning Bohar, colours were amazing!

We got straight back into position and put in another couple of long casts to the island and were greeted by absolute GT Armageddon! A pack attack of about 20 GTs came up all huge fish but with a couple of absolute monster fish, the fish were so aggressive and competing for the lures so much they were hitting the lures out of the water, missing the lures and finally we started to run out of water, I finally hooked up right next to the boat with the fish spreying water into the boat, a decent fish and we managed to pull the fish out of the shallow water and brought a black GT to the boat. Really awesome to have my first Socotra GT after all the planning and expectation! A few pictures and the fish was released and we got back into position.

Bending properly on the Monster Hunter 80H!

Awesome 133cm GT, black mamma!

This is now when the real chaos started, we had multiple fish come up again and huge fish trying to smash our lures, there were fish everywhere, under the boat, on the lures and then Sami hooked into a monster on the Siren 300, Race Point 300 and Saltywater Tackle 8/0 hooks all prototypes to handle monster GTs. An epic fight ensued, Sami putting max pressure with the new beast of a rod and he had it under control but the fish was huge and heavy and we pulled the fish into deeper water, the fish was not budging with a locked drag and Power Pro 130 hollow and heavy leader, but finally the line went slack and the monster had come off! The hooks which is one of the heaviest GT hooks I have ever seen had opened! HECTIC! Welcome to Socotra hope you brought your A game! Sami was testing a range of new hooks and luckily had some even heavier hooks which I thought would be to big but proved to be the right hooks for these big fish and strong currents and will be using in the near future to land these big fish!

Sami bending with very high drag on the RP300!

Eish!

After talking out what happened we tried a new approach to come down the side of the island to try and get the fish into deeper water. Back into position and next it was my turn, I had changed up to my trusty old power rod the Carpenter Wild Violence 80XH. A beast to catch a beast! A huge swirl came up behind the Siren 300 white and silver with 10/0 Decoys, bang the fish missed the first time then with a wild craziness came back to try and absolutely obliterate the lure, the fish came half out of the water and smashed the lure, I hit the fish several times and almost had the rod pulled out my hands, I hit the fish several more times and the game was on, we managed to get the fish off the island and after a long run got back some line, I finally had the fish under the boat just out of sight when it made another strong run and broke me off on a shallow rock!!! Smoked again!! Eish!

Putting the pressure with the Wild Violence 80XH!

Now this was getting serious! We were getting abused! I got out a spare spool already rigged got it on the rod put on a Gamma Orange Nemo 200 with 8/0 GT Recorders. Ready, back into position, cast towards the rock, again a pack attack came up on out lures, another monster got to my lure first, I hit it several times and after a short run the fish broke off again!! What the hell was happening!! I pulled my line back and 300lbs leader had been bitten through!! Amazing, I was totally lost for words.

We were a bit slower getting our gear ready as we were trying to work out how to try and get these big fish out of the current in shallow water. We ran a wider drift and after a good few casts, Sami had a fish hit his lure and hooked the fish up, our captain managed to get us into deeper water and he put on the pressure and got a good fish to the boat, not one of the monsters but still gave us a bit more confidence after a spanking! It was Samis first Socotra GT and the first  of many GTs on the Race Point 300. A few pictures and the fish was released.

Sami using the bench on the boat to get max leverage, dangerous position and not to try at home........but did the trick.

Fish coming to the boat

Samis first Socotra GT and first on the RP300!

By this time we saw Luke and Barry coming up the back of the current, the guys had been fishing the back currents but not to much luck, we tied up next to each other and had a chat about what had happened and they got into position at the top on the island and put there skills to the test! The first drift did not produce a hit and then on the second drift we could see Luke trade mark Red Fisherman putting  long casts, awesome to watch from the back current. But Barry had the first hit and we could see him hitting the fish like a jackhammer and the fight was on, the guys managed to get the fish out into deeper water and after a long hard fright Barry landed a great 137cm GT, a really great fish and well fought.

Team debate and snack break

Barry with a good 137cm GT, excellent catch in the conditions on an ASWB lure!

Sami and I had drifted down the current and started to have some spectacular aerial hits from kingfish, after several hits Sami managed to hook and land the first fish on the New Siren 300 prototype! I had a few hits and did not manage to hook up but then Sami did the trick again and got another good kingfish, these were going to be dinner for us and the captains!

Sami into one of the kingfish

Nice king on the Siren 300

Next king on a Shell Shaping

Barry and Luke repositioned and as we watched on we could even from a distance see a massive hit and Luke shouting only like a GT can make you! Then a groan as e fish missed and turned away! Another drift and finally it was Luke's turn! Bang fish on! Luke fought the fish well and got his first Socotra GT to the boat. Everyone on the board in the first morning! Awesome!

Luke with his first Socotra GT, very nice fish!

The fishing slowed down as the fishing area is very small so we decided to start making the long run back to e village and stop along e way to jig. We had some excellent fun catching some small tuna, emperor, black jack, snapper and jobfish. We did not have a depth finder so the local captains knowledge was put to the test, fishing current lines, under busting tuna etc, but they proved to be very knowledgable and put us into some great fish with Sami landing some massive jobfish.

Barry with a nice Bohar on jig

Sami with a jobie on jig

Black Jack! Love these little guys, if they were the size of GTs they would kick your ass!

We got back to the fishing village late afternoon and we swamped by kids wanting to look at the gear, cameras etc. really cute kids and we spent sometime showing them pictures and taking pictures of them. We loaded up all the gear and headed back for the hotel. Along the way we stopped at one of the many indeginous frankincense trees and our guide talked us through the methods of harvesting the trees and uses, really amazing and great to see in person. We enjoyed a drive back to e hotel at sunset with some of the team catching up on sleep!

Kids in the Fishing Village!

Barry making sure all the tackle is packed!

Frankincense tree

Sami checking out the sweet smelling sap

Our wheels.

A quick shower and we headed out in the town to a local restaurant and had a great meal in the side street with the locals and some friendly goats! A great end to our first day, with everyone very tired we walked back through the village to the hotel and got a better look at the everyday life on the island. We had a few leaders to re-tie and to sort out our tackle for day 2. We had decided to fish the same island the second day to try and catch one of the monster we had seen!

Another good dinner, check how tired everyone is after a day on the water!

Day 2 and the rest of the trip to follow!
Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:34:16 PM by Nick Bowles

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 22, 2012, 06:07:12 PM
WoW!!!!speechless!!!

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 22, 2012, 06:37:14 PM
i'll own up.... I was scared off by the safety Factor for this trip - and glad to see how wrong I was......

if this is day 1.... I can tell we're in for some good reading!!

Vincenzo Caccico

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 22, 2012, 10:22:58 PM
Qualansiya  Ras shoab  :-X

No 250 hp there  ;D

Vincenzo  ;D

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 22, 2012, 10:45:46 PM
Hi Matt, next time we will go together!! Missed you there big guy!

Hi Vincenzo! Definitely no 250hp!! But was good fun on the smaller boats. I can see why you liked Socotra so much, great place!

Cheers,
Nick

Chanin Puntawong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 03:57:56 AM
Thats where you guys went! Awesome trip Nick!

Luke, I always see you with that red Fisherman rod, what model is that? thanks!
Official member of JigStrong

Robert Balkow

October 23, 2012, 07:12:17 AM
Awesome report - keep it coming! Wish i was on the trip, too.

See you in march Nick!

Robert

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 07:21:44 AM
i'll own up.... I was scared off by the safety Factor for this trip - and glad to see how wrong I was......

if this is day 1.... I can tell we're in for some good reading!!

Matt,
They will be no more excuses next time, you're coming with us :)
I guarantee your safety  :D

Michael Gordon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 08:03:14 AM
Epic stuff.Bring on day 2 please.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 08:11:06 AM
Awesome guys - looks epic!

wowzers that beard looks itchy!!!

drop day 2 already!!!!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 09:49:45 AM
Nick! Is that a stickbait in your pocket?  ;) ;D

Topper - that's my favorite all-round PE10 rod - Fisherman GT Game TRSH - it's landed EVERYTHING!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 10:34:40 AM
Topper - that's my favorite all-round PE10 rod - Fisherman GT Game TRSH - it's landed EVERYTHING!

Yep, the TRSH is awesome  ;)

Though I tend to favour my MH80H these days for it's casting ability but the TRSH is oh so nice.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 11:06:24 AM
The MH80H is a very nice rod! But TRSH is in another class because its shorter, can easily cast 250g+ and pull an I-Cup across the current...

Raymond Yong

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 11:38:42 AM
WOW :o wow  :o WOW!!! what an outstanding report, keep it up Nick  ;)