Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Socotra Island Yemen - The Last Frontier
October 29, 2012, 11:06:24 PM

If you could fish West of the island, you wouldn't run out of spots for a while.  :o

Hi Lars,
True!
however the run is a bit long especially with 40 horse power engine and the chance to encounter pirates in the open ocean is a bit high,
we spoke about it and i guess the group made the right decision considering safety.
there is 2 island in the west with high potential as we gathered information from the local, I am personally keen to do that part of the island next year :)

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 30, 2012, 08:31:41 AM
Great trip report, Socotra Island is a pretty damned close to Somalia for my liking...truly epic stuff. Interest in what rigging system you where using, all the pics looked like a single leader system as opposed to twisted leader setup. Assume that is an FG to leader to swivel to split? I find it hard to get enough bite on the leader with plus 100lb line.   

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 07, 2012, 06:07:39 PM
Hi Alex, Good to hear I managed to entertain! Was a great trip and really enjoyed it and yes we had the A-Team, think a cigar on the mouth at the end was in order. Luke had his 70kg cigar waiting but unfortunately he did not manage to light it! But we think there were a few that could have made the grad! Never nice to break fish off and for fish to die but we can only try to come up with better process on the boats and better ways of fighting and landing fish!

Hi Matt, always appreciate your feedback and enthusiasm! Wish you were on the trip as it would have rounded it off nicely, but you are on the list for the upcoming exploratory trips!! Thought it was to good a trip not to put it down on paper as it was something that made me feel like the first day I caught a GT and got hooked!

Hi Nicola, I'm sure it was awesome to have the first big GT come in, always great to discover places a great feeling of satisfaction, one of my best things is going to new waters and discovering new fishing and sometimes it works but other times it does not. Some places are better left untouched by commercial pressure, hopefully this will be one of them.

Hi Grant, many thanks! Was awesome! When you coming to visit!

Hi Lars, As Sami said there is some potential but we were quite amazed at how small the GT area is. To give you an idea we have about 30 GT spots in Southern Oman and about 35 in Musandam, where in Socotra there are 2 that are reasonably accessible. So definitely as Nicola said the place is fragile and small but there are beast lurking and with the strong current makes it one of the hardest places to fish for GTs that I have experienced. Hopefully we can discover a few more areas in the future if we make it back!

Hi Wayne, Many thanks! We were stressing about the pirates, unrest in Yemen ec. But we decided to take the chance and we found an amazing place that we felt safe, but I'm sure things could go wrong quickly but it is a chance that you take and have to accept before you go! For the leaders I have used the same system for over 5 years. I use a short leader outside the top eye. I tie a bimini in the braid and then connect the leader with a Yucatan knot. I normally use 300lbs leader. I have never had an issue and I personally not a fan of wind on leaders for a few reasons but this is my personal preference and at the end of the day you must fish with what gives you confidence especially for GTs!

Cheers,
Nick

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 13, 2012, 11:08:37 PM
INSANE ADVENTURE GUYS,truly awe inspiring report! Congrats to all involved,pure envy. ;D  8)

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 15, 2012, 03:47:25 PM
Hi Adam, Many thanks was an awesome place and hopefully can do it again next year!

Cheers,
Nick

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 16, 2012, 05:41:18 PM
Hi Nick,

If anyone wants some inspiration to go GT fishing they should read this report,haha.Would love to do an exotic location in the future,cheers mate.

Lou arellano

November 16, 2012, 07:11:14 PM
Nick

Awesome read .. I was in a trance for the last hour reading your adventure with the guys...

This is how fishing trips should be....

I hope one day I fulfill one like this...

the bug is growing..

Cheers

Lou

Ben Lai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 21, 2012, 08:06:46 PM
Oh my god! This is a awesome report. The scenery is fascinating, let alone the fishy catch!

Thanks for the sharing guys!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 25, 2012, 03:34:33 PM
Hi Adam, Lou, Ben! Many thanks, was an awesome trip with a great bunch of guys, I think the adventure is 75% of the trip, the fishing and fish a big bonus! Hope this helped to give a little push to try a far out destination!!

Cheers,
Nick