Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Straightened Trebles
October 24, 2012, 11:00:17 PM

Just returned from the Montebellos and and had one hook of a 6/0 GT Recorder opened by a GT estimated at 12 - 15 kg. While I understand this may be due to how the fish was hooked, I am wondering whether anybody else has had similar issues with either this brand of hook or any other brands.

I am not looking to create any slanging match, but GTs are not always easy to hook and the loss due to any form of tackle failure is something I am trying to eliminate.

Looking for any comments and/or recommendations.

Les

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Straightened Trebles
October 24, 2012, 11:14:04 PM
Hi Les,

I have had a few hooks open up over the years but not this particular brand. I think it has a lot to do with how the fish is hooked? for example, if the hook does not penertrate the mouth completely it will place a significant amount of pressure on the tip...this in turn will provide the type of leverage required to open the gape further.

Hard to eliminate as such; part of the reason why some choose to use big singles or Baker rigs

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 24, 2012, 11:25:15 PM
Big singles be they Baker Rigs or otherwise open as well, but probably less often than trebles.

Les, the only well known large treble I have not personally seen compromised by a GT is an Owner ST76. I am absolutely sure it has happened to those as well though.  It just comes with the territory when GT fishing.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 25, 2012, 01:00:40 AM
Hi Les, There is no treble that we have used that has not opened, this includes Decoy, Owner ST66 and 76, GT Recorders, VMC Tropics etc. The Gamma GT Recorder is most probably one of the best GT hooks and strong as hell but they do open and will be in various situations from pressure from a fisherman with heavy drag with the fish hooked badly to the fish being hooked with the back hook in the mouth front hook in the side or bone and one of the most difficult to believe but a GT hitting the lure while in another fishes mouth which opens up split rings and hooks very easily if the hook has a quick jolt of extra pressure put on it while under the initial pressure.

Part of the fun of GT fishing is that you are going to destroy tackle and have good stories to tell!

Cheers,
Nick