Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Guys, due to one person pulling out, a place has become available on a long-planned exploratory trip to a VERY remote part of eastern Indonesia.

The trip will be with Andy Rowe, myself and one other who is not a GTPopping member. The trip is on a modern, fast and extremely comfortable boat on a liveaboard basis.

This really is an expedition. The logistics are complex, and lots of planning and research have gone into the trip. Anyone joining us would need to be in Indonesia (best arriving and leaving from either Jakarta or Bali) from November 26th to December 5th (yes, it is soon!). Participation would be on a 100% cost sharing basis - none of us is making any money out of this.

We are 99% sure that the areas we are targeting will not have seen a lure ever before.

If you have the time to dedicate to this it could be the trip to eclipse all others - a new frontier for lure fishing.  As well as GTs and the attendant by-catch, it is  likely we will find large YFT in this area.

If you are genuinely interested in the prospect of joining this trip, please contact either myself or Andy.  Please no idle enquiries as to the location though!

Cheers

MARK

Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:17:16 PM by Mark Harris

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Sounds good Mark - timing is way off for me tho :(

Look forward to the report and pictures when you get back :D

I would love to make a similar trip over the next few years - still must be some places that have never seen a lure before!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yep Alex, that's the great challenge. Identifying those potentially brilliant un-fished spots is not so hard... arranging a boat, getting there and everything else is the tough bit!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Mark, Sounds awesome! Would love to have been able to come but got a trip over some of the dates but would be keen in the future if you happy for me to join! Good luck and look forward to seeing the report!

Cheers,
Nick

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks Nick. It certainly would have been a real change of scenery for you: steaming volcanoes in the lush tropics  :D .

Here's hoping that someone can grab this opportunity.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
As long as there is a bit of greenery would be awesome!! Good luck! Any exploratory trip is an adventure and worth it just at the chance of finding gold!!

Cheers,
Nick

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
Mark - in Asia at that time.  Done Eastern Indo with Virdi and up for more ;)

Drop me a line with logistics - Graham

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Sadly, both parties who were seriously interested in joining this expedition cannot due to work commitments.

So the place is still open. Anyone interested, please let me or Andy know ASAP.

Steve Li

Is the trip in the Banda Sea? Just came back from there about two weeks back. Just take plenty of safety precautions! A satelite phone and emergency beacon is a must!!! Ensure you have all the neccessary emergency numbers at hand (including the one for your embassy)!  :'(

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Very aware of the Banda Sea situation Steve as Andy have lived in Indonesia for a long time, but thanks for the heads up.

You should not go near such incredibly remote areas without all the correct safety measures in place.
Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:10:30 PM by Mark Harris

Steve Li

Very aware of the Banda Sea situation Steve as Andy have lived in Indonesia for a long time, but thanks for the heads up.

You should not go near such incredibly remote areas without all the correct safety measures in place.

Trust me, even the locals were not prepared and couldn't figure out any solutions for an emergency. Hint, do not expect emergency services to be readily available or even respond! Not trying to dampen your spirits or ruin your chance of finding replacements. The place is definitely worth a try for any die hard popping / jigging enthusiast. I will certainly go back again in fact!

If my schedule permits, I might even drop my name in the hat for your trip! Have a great one in the meantime!

;)

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,

Any chance you could email me expected costs, tackle requirements etc.. I promise to bring my own cigarettes and a spare hat this time!!!

[email protected]

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Steve,

A very unfortunate situation, some lessons learned for the operator and procedures / precautions have and will continue to be improved.

This location however is completely new and untested and the boat being used should eliminate any of the previous issues. As indicated, the boat is fast and modern with ample deck for casting game. The modern convenience of course requires extra cost comparitively, but it is still extremely realistic. There is no profit motivation here for the anglers concerned, this is pure adventure and just about testing some new and remote areas.

It should be a unique exploratory quest, with that we don't really know what we'll find but the structure of the area and remoteness of the region suggest it should be good, nothing ventured nothing gained ;).

Trust me, even the locals were not prepared and couldn't figure out any solutions for an emergency. Hint, do not expect emergency services to be readily available or even respond! Not trying to dampen your spirits or ruin your chance of finding replacements. The place is definitely worth a try for any die hard popping / jigging enthusiast. I will certainly go back again in fact!

If my schedule permits, I might even drop my name in the hat for your trip! Have a great one in the meantime!

;)
Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:38:11 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Steve Li

Hi Andy

Mind dropping me a PM or email about the costs and itinerary of the trip? I am always game for an adventure! Cheers!

Steve

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Mark if you ever plan anything like this again mate, i am keen azzzzzzzzzzzz, you have my details big fella ;)
good luck !!!!