Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Choices: GT or Bluefin Tuna
November 01, 2012, 04:46:39 PM
Wassup Guys,

I might have an interesting life choice ahead of me in the next year or so; to stay in Hawaii or move back to New England. And yes this decision is going to be somewhat based on what my girlfriend wants to do with herself  ??? >:(

Here in Kona I can wake up before work and fish for GT in the mornings and afternoons. Also we have Bonefish, Threadfin, and a few other species that are fun to target from the shoreline. Add to that, myself and some friends all have boats to jig and pop from for multiple species (giant GT included)

I grew up in New England (northeast US for those who dont know) which has Bluefin Tuna grounds right out of my old backyard. There are also a bunch of other fun saltwater game like Striped Bass, False Albacore, and Bluefish. Along with the good saltwater, there is incredible freshwater fishing for Landlocked Salmon, Trout, and Bass. Also, there is ice fishing, and i LOVE ice fishing especially jigging through the ice!

Both options are actually sitting quite fine with me for the most part, but what would you guys do? Stay in Hawaii and pound on GT, or go where the fishing is more diverse and have access to BFT??? Tough Choice!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Choices: GT or Bluefin Tuna
November 01, 2012, 05:07:11 PM
I would probably go for the BFT, mainly because I have never caught one before and learning to fish in Canada as a kid I loved the lake fishing in summer and in winter.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 01, 2012, 06:34:56 PM
A fisherman will always find something to catch so as long as you're near water it sounds like you'd find a way.
I'd look at other things like work, family & mates, climate and quality of living.
Don't know if you wanted a serious answer, and take that with a grain of salt. I can't really talk about life choices, i signed up to the military for 4.5 years, my biggest motivation was to buy an italian motorbike (I bought 2)...

Cheers Dave

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 12:34:16 AM
Whatever you do don't come to the UK - the fishing is sparse compared to your other choices! (altho we do have the best beer :D)

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 05:05:39 AM
Hey WTF, brah were not letting you go back. Enough of this garbage I'm finding you a new girlfriend, one with a bigger boat. Just give me a little time.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 06:07:48 AM
I think you should go live in the UK for a year and catch carp and conger eel
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 06:09:51 AM

Ben, you are now on notice to be banned from MCA!!

I would probably go for the BFT, mainly because I have never caught one before and learning to fish in Canada as a kid I loved the lake fishing in summer and in winter.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 09:26:12 AM

Ben, you are now on notice to be banned from MCA!!

:o

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 11:32:37 AM
Whatever you do don't come to the UK - the fishing is sparse compared to your other choices! (altho we do have the best beer :D)

Worm-sucking Flounder in a freezing cold, muddy estuary. ;)

You are right on the beer tho'.
Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:52:34 PM by Mark Harris

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 04:07:08 PM
HAHAHA, my girlfriend wants to study in London more than anything. But there's NO WAY i'll ever be living there, no matter how good the beer is!
Brandon I'll leave the conger eels for another lifetime, haha! Although, they are a prized GT bait here in Hawaii; we call them "Tohei".

How does Sami feel about this question; GT's or Bluefins, which is more fun for you? Obviously he has a ton of cross experience with both.

Ken Uechi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 05:43:40 PM
Without seeing all the ulua you catch, what are the braddahs back at home going to do when we need inspiration to keep casting?!

Work hard to keep him in the islands Charles!

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 02, 2012, 09:34:46 PM
Greetings
Simon

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 04, 2012, 01:19:43 AM
Haha London is one of the best cities in the world - great place to live n work but the fishing sucks!

we do get big slimy eels -

And we get these sportfish - Bass!

Plus we are 1/2 way in between some great GT fishing and BFT fishing ... 6 hr flight either left or right!

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 04, 2012, 05:42:49 AM
How does Sami feel about this question; GT's or Bluefins, which is more fun for you? Obviously he has a ton of cross experience with both.

Hi Nathan,

The good thing is no matter where you end up, you will still have access to 2 of the toughest species.
as you can see I am caught in between and i can't get enough of both of them, either way you are good but to catch a 300lb+ on a spinning outfit is priceless :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 04, 2012, 06:09:27 AM
That is a BIG eel, Alex!!  :o
See you next weekend

Haha London is one of the best cities in the world - great place to live n work but the fishing sucks!

we do get big slimy eels -

And we get these sportfish - Bass!

Plus we are 1/2 way in between some great GT fishing and BFT fishing ... 6 hr flight either left or right!