Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shimano T-Curve GT Special warning
March 30, 2008, 12:35:19 PM
Great rod - love it after my first real hook-ups on it.  However a word of warning - don't rig you lures up, hook them onto the bail arm of you reel and head out to your local spot.  I'm not sure what does it but I think it's the top guide - the line rubs on it and it wears through - bloody easily! 

Happened to me twice - once on the trip out the rod was on the floor and I see the lure is loose.  So i pick my lure and leader up and toss it over the edge so I have room to wind the slack up.  Nope - the braid has worn through with me not knowing guess what happened? Captiva yamatoya poppers sink. >:(Straight to the bottom)and with having never been thrown it in anger.  The other time the rod is in the holder in the boat, I get back to shore and the braid and leader is hanging loose, cut off by the rod again. 

So just a word of warning.  :) 

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Shimano T-Curve GT Special warning
March 30, 2008, 12:44:58 PM
Those Captiva poppers aint real crash hot in my opinion.
Not wrong they sink fast and dont have a good action.
They are actually very cheap nasty poppers but with good terminal on them.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 12:48:43 PM
I'm with you there Peter.  Although I said i'd never thrown it in anger I did however throw it around at the beach to try out me new outfit.  No more the half a dozen casts and all the paint on both sides was peeled/cracked/worn off.  Terrible quality.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 02:28:51 PM
I doubt it is the guide itself, unless there is damage (sharp, rough) to the guide.

I am more than happy to help you work out the problem and pass on the feedback where necessary.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 05:14:59 PM
Travis - I don't understand what is happening here. As a starting point, can I suggest you check your end guide. All you need is a piece of braid or dental floss which you can run along the end guide to see if anything is catching. I sincerely doubt ther is anything wrond with the rod from a design perspective. Rather, I think there might be something wrong with your rod. It can't be hard to find. Even if you reattaxch the lure and hook it around the bail arm then roll it all around the guise to see what is catching. If it looks fine and nothing is catching whatsoever, I'd say it is some outside agency and nothing to do with the rod. It could even be a problem with the braid. I know a few people using the rod with no worries whatsoever.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 09:40:49 PM
I had a similar problem with a trolling rod.  Checked it out and the SIC ring had chipped, leaving a sharp edge that cut line very easily.  I reckon you've got a damaged tip there.
Cairns Bommie Basher

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 10:22:18 PM
Those who reel the lure right to the top risk breaking the SIC ring , swivel hitting the tip top guide does the same , some crack is so small and can't be seen except when checked carefully using cottom bud .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 10:31:21 PM
Will go grab the rod now and check it out. 

Brandon - I think it must be the rod rather than an outside agency.  The first time it happened the rod was on the floor of the boat and I blamed the boat etc.  However the 2nd time it was in a rod holder with nothing else touching it at all.  I automatically blamed the top guide which seems to have a sharp ring around it however I will now inspect more closely.

Jon - I don't bring the lure right to the top so don't think that is the reason.

Can I also ask what the SIC ring is - I assume this is the top guide but what does SIC stand for? 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 10:47:24 PM
Silicon carbide
It's a standard Fuji ring. There must be some damage on it
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 11:23:03 PM
Will go grab the rod now and check it out. 

Brandon - I think it must be the rod rather than an outside agency.  The first time it happened the rod was on the floor of the boat and I blamed the boat etc.  However the 2nd time it was in a rod holder with nothing else touching it at all.  I automatically blamed the top guide which seems to have a sharp ring around it however I will now inspect more closely.

Jon - I don't bring the lure right to the top so don't think that is the reason.

Can I also ask what the SIC ring is - I assume this is the top guide but what does SIC stand for? 

Travis ,

Check this : http://www.fujitackle.com.au/ , click the " education " link and go to " ring types " .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .