John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bali and the October full moon
November 04, 2012, 07:27:25 PM
Hi guys - had the fortune to crew / guide and fish a little with 4 Aussie clients on board GT1 from Adhek Sports Fishing in Bali.  Unfortunately Adhek himself was not on the boat himself as at the last minute he was taken ill, I hope he has a speedy recovery.  Both of his lads Reza and Annga filled the void and showed their true capability, both could step into Adheks shoes with time.  we fished two days in Bali (Batu Abah on Nusa Penida) and one day across to Lombok.  the big tides hoped over the full moon failed to eventuate and things looked grim but by Bali standards I think we did ok.  Bali produced 9 geets boated from 15 hook ups (including at least two solid brickings by good fish) while Lombok was incredibly disappointing with not a strike but more follows and boils than I cared to count - the fish seemed to have a dose of GT lockjaw that day.  An extremely embarrassing (for me) but none the less humerus event occurred on the last day -  early after lunch I found myself on the bow casting platform -  as I fired in my first cast of the afternoon using the new Adhek Big Buffalo popper (it casts a mile), I was met with a strike on the 3rd pop that I was not quite prepared for.  Banging hard against the bow rail and hanging on for dear life I struck the fish from an awkward position and managed to somehow lose my grip completely as the rod sailed over the rail and into the drink, doh!.... without too much thinking a dive in saw the rod in my hands and a swim against a fish that was now behaving itself saw the rod in safe hands.  Climbing aboard sans my new pair of Spotters sunglasses (grrrrrrr) I grabbed the rod again and thankfully finished the business.  It shows the power and ferocity of even a modest sized GT and the weakness of my girly wrists!.  A reminder to myself to pay attention - and hang on!  attached are a few of the pics

ebbtidetackle.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Bali and the October full moon
November 04, 2012, 09:32:20 PM
Well done John and would love to have been with you (especially to witness the dunking!  8) ).

You did well for sure mate given the unfavourable conditions.  Without the right current Batu Abah often produces nothing at all, so 9 GTs and 15 hook ups over two days is more than OK! 

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
November 04, 2012, 11:02:41 PM
Agreed Mark, having seen it not produce before I was pleased and surprised to be honest.  What did really surprise me was how doey the Lombok fish were.
ebbtidetackle.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 04, 2012, 11:04:19 PM
Yep, nothing more frustrating than loads of follows without hits.

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 09, 2012, 06:14:46 PM
Haha .. must have looked real 'pro' with the guide falling in the water at hook up but well done for keeping hold of the fish! I often crap my pants when fishing off the front platform of our boats wondering if i will be able to maintain my position when i raise the beast. Great fish man and happy Anglers i am sure which is what it is all about.

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
November 09, 2012, 11:45:50 PM
Haha .. must have looked real 'pro' with the guide falling in the water at hook up but well done for keeping hold of the fish! I often crap my pants when fishing off the front platform of our boats wondering if i will be able to maintain my position when i raise the beast. Great fish man and happy Anglers i am sure which is what it is all about.

Yes Ed not much 'pro' about it at all, I looked in disbelief as the rod sailed away from me!!!!! saving grace to some extent to get it and the fish back - at least some anyway :o
ebbtidetackle.com