Corey Howell

• Fusilier
  • R E L E A S E that G T
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
dogs, z6500, and bail lift
November 10, 2012, 06:51:10 PM
the quest to stop jigged doggies making it back home continues

to ensure the business end is up to it i've beefed up swivels, rings and hook, and bumped up leader to 200 momoi marlin ultra hard

have setup black magic standup harness clipped to webbing loop in front of reel, and dropped gimbal way down a-la conventional tackle standup. this gives me good counterbalance with heavy drag, and also helps me stay upright when gunning the boat away from the reef once hooked up [tho the clipping in process with the webbing loops is pretty funny]

wound-out drag on Z6500 just aint enough to turn these doggies heads, but the harness helps free up right hand so i can put serious hand pressure on the spool skirt [thumb on top, fingers on bottom] and the ultrajigman x8 pe8 seems to handle this loading nicely [and - so far - my fg knot]

the problem is this additional pressure causes the bail on the z6500 to lift. i'm new to this heavy gear, and given the A$2K investment, well.....dont wanna stuff my new reel  :o  but certainly not about to give up on these canine bastards either

appreciate any advice from the collective on how the big Daiwa handles this sort of loading.

thanks !!!

Corey

Solomon Islands