dylan squarci

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
doggie jigging
November 04, 2012, 09:53:11 PM
Hi guys. Im new to jigging and recently I connected with my first doggies. I didnt manage to land any as they cut through my 100 lb leader. I have been told to put a small section of wire before my jig to prevent this. My question is. Is the wire a good idea? should i up my leader to something heaver or do i twist the last foot or so of my leader?
thanks

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: doggie jigging
November 05, 2012, 02:20:10 AM
Hi guys. Im new to jigging and recently I connected with my first doggies. I didnt manage to land any as they cut through my 100 lb leader. I have been told to put a small section of wire before my jig to prevent this. My question is. Is the wire a good idea? should i up my leader to something heaver or do i twist the last foot or so of my leader?
thanks

Hi Dylan,

Doggies are the hardest fish to land, yes you can hook them but good luck landing them.
in my opinion you need more luck then skill to land a doggie,
I recommend you to use Fluorocarbon leader as it will help you somehow to beef up the poundage and for abrasion resistance.
they will shy away from the wire leader.
be alert at all time when jigging and to set up the hook as quickly as possible.
in that case you might be lucky to get it in the corner, now if you survive the run you are in business :)
don't feel bad, I lost all the big one that I hooked so far :)
Good luck :)

dylan squarci

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 05, 2012, 09:33:31 AM
Thanks mate. Has anyone tried twisting the last bit of your leader to make a bite leader.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 05, 2012, 09:40:29 AM
I can only agree with Sami and he summed it up perfectly with the statement of "in my opinion, you need more luck than skill".  Not to denigrate the captures of any big doggies but it really is a matter of luck more than anything else. A big doggie will do whatever it wants to do and the anglers just holds on and hopes.

Wire won't do anything much at all in my view and neither will the twisted section. You may very well spook the fish too if the leader is too heavy.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

dylan squarci

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 05, 2012, 09:55:24 AM
Oh ok. Thanks Brandon. What size leader should i start with, from what ive read 100lb is too light.

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 05, 2012, 10:59:32 AM
Oh ok. Thanks Brandon. What size leader should i start with, from what ive read 100lb is too light.

I would go with 150lb Fluorocarbon leader with a length of 12 feet minimum.

dylan squarci

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 05, 2012, 12:15:30 PM
Alright. Thanks mate. Appreciate it