Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Broken MH80H! Pure power of the angler?
November 21, 2012, 08:53:37 AM
Hi guys

Please take a look at this video of a guy breaking a Carpenter MH80H:

It's hard to tell where the breakage happened other than around the insertion point.

What happened there? I am the happy owner of a MH80H and I never thought this could happen to it - it feels like it's made like a tank! So do you think
1) it's mal function of the rod?
2) Is the angler pushing it too hard at an angle where he shouldn't?
3) Maybe the rod had had a nick/punch which caused the breakage?
4) Another possibility is that the parts weren't pushed together properly.

What do you think?

I am not really sure how this topic is received, considering Carpenter as a forum sponsor. So Brandon or Luke please correct me if this is not the place to discuss this. I just think that forums like these should be free, transparent and controlled as little as possible by sponsors with obvious interests.

Cheers,
Peter
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Broken MH80H! Pure power of the angler?
November 21, 2012, 10:20:20 AM
Very unusual find there Peter
I think any rod can be broken if placed in the wrong angle with enough of a load on it which it looks to me is what has happened here. Just because it is a Carpenter Rod, of which I own several, does not mean it is indestructible. Of course like you said it could have had rod damage. Would be interested to know if Carpenter replaced it free of charge.

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 21, 2012, 10:51:39 AM
Yeah any rod can be broken at any time. It doesn't at all reflect poorly on the manufacturer, no matter who it is. My friend broke a BG Jack on a 7kilo GT, so anything can happen.
All of the reasons you listed are viable reasons for a break. The actual reason for breakage is sometimes impossible to pin down, but the real world answer is just that sometimes shit happens. Dont let this affect your confidence with the rod, keep on hammering with it.
He did swing back pretty far on that hookset though :)  It broke at the expected spot for a swing like that.
Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:58:43 AM by Nathan Tsao

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 21, 2012, 11:26:01 AM
Ditto what Nathan says. My money would be on a poorly engaged rod section though.

Marc Ong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 21, 2012, 11:31:03 AM
couple more pics.
Rod was inserted fully. Rod broke at the butt, the blank end of the rod is perfectly fine.

first trip out for this rod.

the fish that broke it

Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:37:10 AM by Marc Ong

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 21, 2012, 11:37:25 AM
Broken female ferrule :(

I had a similar issue Marc which was discussed sometime last year on this forum. Luckily I noticed a hair-line split in the female ferrule before complete disaster. My view and that of others was that the rod somehow got a bad knock during transportation.

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 21, 2012, 11:42:37 AM
I suppose the "RDX" versions are less prone to this due to the extra binding around the join?

Allan Chan Hian Lian

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 21, 2012, 11:50:00 AM
Broken female ferrule :(

I had a similar issue Marc which was discussed sometime last year on this forum. Luckily I noticed a hair-line split in the female ferrule before complete disaster. My view and that of others was that the rod somehow got a bad knock during transportation.

This guy landed a 118, a 110cm & several smaller to mid size Gt's before this incident happen, it would had happen earlier if there's a hairline crack!
I was on this trip!
Allanchl

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 21, 2012, 12:05:31 PM
One of the reasons why we have been sensitive over a long period of time to posts on breakages on this forum is we don't know what anglers have done and whether there have been contributory factors to a breakage. A large number of breakages occur due to contributory factors which we don't see.

I suspect Mark may have hit the nail on the head re damage in the butt section. Allan, if there was a hairline crack in the butt section, it may we hold together but a violent strike as we saw could well see the result we did.  I will also observe (as Nathan has pointed out) that it was at a pretty scary position when it broke. The angle the rod was at and the violence of the strike would have placed enormous pressure on the joint area.

Marc, I can only suggest you go back and talk to the agent you bought it from.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Steve Li

November 21, 2012, 12:27:23 PM
Hey, think I know the guy!

Fish pulling hard from initial run + high stick violent striking (pulling the rod way back) = disaster

Shit happens......... unfortunately.  :'(

Lou arellano

November 23, 2012, 06:34:19 AM
A couple of hose clamps and she will be right.....

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 01:06:18 PM
Such breakage on the female ferrule of the offset handle is caused by the rod becoming loose after many casts , the loosening of the rod can be attributed to the knot between leader n PE line hitting the guide . It's easy to remedy the breakage , just ask a rod builder to wrap a couple layers of guide binding thread onto the split ferrule with the rod inserted and a thin layer of epoxy on top + a new EVA grip should do the trick . It's not the first time this happened and most likely happened during a strike .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .