Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Like Andy I have a lot of experience with those hand-made big nets and they do work even with very big fish.

The key difference is though that Indonesian boats inevitably have a couple of deckies (a least) for lifting and the boats are either closed cabin cruisers or big liveaboards - so loads more storage space than on a centre console with low gunnels.

The net which Lars posted looks really interesting.

As Alex says, European anglers are miles ahead of others in the fish handling stakes and there just has to be something that is suitable for GTs.
Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:00:03 PM by Mark Harris

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
I think what Alex mentions clearly highlights the difference between Fresh water anglers & Sea anglers. The majority of Lakes are all stocked across Europe so if you dont have the right landing equipment they wont let you on the lake at all. Seems people only really start caring for fish when they have to pay to put them in their lake and rear them to big fish creating an investment they want you to look after.

With the fish in the sea you never seen any fish given the same care because no one is spending money on keeping it alive.

Mark .. a couple of deckies equal about one of my guns so no worries :)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Very good to see some conversation stimulated on this topic. As Ed says that folding form of net Lars posted could be ideal in a heavy duty version. I hope some new ideas / concepts come out of this for the GT's, we spend so much on the tackle it would be worth throwing a bit of thought and cash into advancing safe handling measures.

Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi guys, as a newbie I can attest to the value of information in this thread. on a recent trip we were very careful with supporting the GT's under the body and trying to be as fast as possible with photos but when back someone pointed out in the photos that all the fish had an odd diamond pattern on the sides, which was from the carpet floor in the boat.

I was quite embarrassed and hence find threads like this to be most helpful

Lets see if I can rustle up a pic of the pattern on the fish

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi guys, as a newbie I can attest to the value of information in this thread. on a recent trip we were very careful with supporting the GT's under the body and trying to be as fast as possible with photos but when back someone pointed out in the photos that all the fish had an odd diamond pattern on the sides, which was from the carpet floor in the boat.

I was quite embarrassed and hence find threads like this to be most helpful

Lets see if I can rustle up a pic of the pattern on the fish

De-hooking mat is the answer Mark. You can use neoprene - just remember to keep it watered.

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Mark, there is a spear fishing and wetsuit shop just down the road - will definitely put an order in for a piece of neoprene

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks Mark, there is a spear fishing and wetsuit shop just down the road - will definitely put an order in for a piece of neoprene

Seawater from deckhose into the mouth of the fish + soft plastic foam saturated with seawater work wonder but the best is large livebait well similar the one onboard Capt. Fukui's Big Dipper is the best .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Handling a GT is an age old topic and I think Brandons guidelines and all the info on this thread is great advise and we all come up with our individual processes on the boats to handle GTs. We have been lucky to be able to handle a lot of GTs and as with anything you get much better with experience.

But I also have to say that you can go overboard with trying to protect the GT and actually do more harm than good because you trying to put mats down, put hoses in the mouth plus trying to get cameras and getting people to help that are not experienced etc. I always find it quite amusing to see guys for the first time try and handle a big GT, they are usually docile on the boat but there is nothing like it no matter how strong you are. You have to be firm and make sure you handle the fish with enough strength to get the job done what you trying to do, e.g. if you are moving the fish, then move the fish don't half drag it and then stop and try go back to where the fish was etc.

Basically for us we try land the fish as quick as possible and find putting buckets of water through the gills straight away has helped hugely as there are no switches, trying to untangle hoses etc. Then making sure the deck or sling is wet and get the fish into position quickly for a picture, the trick is loading the fish onto the lap, this should be done with a towel on the lap (fresh not old and slimy as this is worse than bare skin) and then I put one hand into the fishes mouth and grip the jaw (or put my hand under the fishes head if small enough) and the other around the tail and do a dead lift onto the lap and the lifter must position the fish, the angler must sit and make sure with all his might that fish does not drop! It is all team work and don;t be scared to shout the orders to make sure everyone is working together. Carry on the whole time putting water through the gills.

The other options is an exercise mats, they work very well for captains foot sponge when skippering to reduce strain on the body and are great for protecting fish, but you need to be very careful with neoprene and exercise mats the material is actually quite course and non slip so will take slim off a fish, rather use PVC wet.

Hope this helps and my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Nick