dfish

Bills Bugs
April 03, 2007, 02:47:57 PM
Have any of you guys used the bills bug poppers if so what do you think, also what do you recomend if anything as a cheaper alternative to the jobu's on popper ,stickbaits.

Cheers
Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 09:29:49 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: bills bugs
April 03, 2007, 08:38:57 PM
I haven't used them myself but they are a proven fish catcher. Their finish is not great (actually, it's bloody abysmal) but I don't think GTs are are too worried about that.

Unfortunately, not too many option in stickbaits that are at a reasonable price outside of the Gillies but plenty of choices among poppers like Halco Roostas, River2Sea Dumbbells, Gillies, Tropic Anglers etc. I'm now carrying some Dumbbells and Yo-Zuri Surface Bulls as sacrifical lambs to throw into deadly looking areas where you would hesitate to throw your fisherman lure into
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: bills bugs
April 03, 2007, 09:23:53 PM
Been looking at the Yo-Zuri Bulls and Cruisers myself, they look alright to me having never seen the top notch ones, do they, Dumbells and Roosters need an upgrade of hardware for something serious. At $27 for the Yo-Zuris and under $20 for the rest will they do the job.
Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 09:29:40 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Bills Bugs
April 03, 2007, 09:33:31 PM
Try some Owner SJ-41s - i can't remember how much they cost, but i do think they are cheaper.

They are a smaller gauge than the 51s and don't have the cutting point but they are still a great hook.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 10:34:26 PM
Luke - you're suggesting that Greg go with singles in place of the trebles for his poppers when he upgrades the hooks? I've been experimenting myself for some time with the singles (see specific thread on this) but still not 100% convinced. I'm pretty sure they hold better but I still think the hookup rate is lower.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 10:41:55 PM
Luke - you're suggesting that Greg go with singles in place of the trebles for his poppers when he upgrades the hooks? I've been experimenting myself for some time with the singles (see specific thread on this) but still not 100% convinced. I'm pretty sure they hold better but I still think the hookup rate is lower.

I agree with you Brandon, just responding to one of the questions in the original thread which i think some of you guys may have missed ;)

I have been using a 50/50 lately on *some* poppers/sticks - should be able to do a lot of testing if i have my hands full as i predict in Kiribati ;D :o
Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:46:37 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 08:06:32 AM

You're experimenting with a 50/50 combination? I haven't thought of that but it makes some sense! Would  you run the treble off the back of on the middle?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 06:54:47 PM

You're experimenting with a 50/50 combination? I haven't thought of that but it makes some sense! Would  you run the treble off the back of on the middle?

I've been trying a big single on the belly and treble on the rear. I don't have much evidence to prove one is better than the other at the moment. Due to the sizes (weights) of the big hooks i am using, i am sure to make note of any changes to dynamics, balance, action etc... if there is any at all as well. I tried a 12/0 single on the belly and 8/0 treble on the back not long ago on a big 300mm Plat Billy - very heavy :o

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 08:14:41 PM
Luke - how did you find the big Billy in how it swam? I am struggling to use it where it doesn't break the surface.Should I use two big recorders? I do like the look of this lure as i think it is big enough to attract a 70kg GT  ;D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 11:09:27 PM
Luke - how did you find the big Billy in how it swam? I am struggling to use it where it doesn't break the surface.Should I use two big recorders? I do like the look of this lure as i think it is big enough to attract a 70kg GT  ;D

I wasn't too worried with the fact that it was breaking the surface, although i do agree that subsurface with no surface breaking is also a good technique, i still find that making some noise along the way is good too. Two big recorders in 7/0 or 8/0 might be able to keep it fully subsurface. I also tried out a Billy Mega Pop - don't go there :P

Neil

April 05, 2007, 08:58:18 AM
One problem with Bugs is the lack of through wires on some models. Personally seen one big Gt lost when loop pulled out of moulding!!! Beware.

Neil

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 06:59:53 PM

Here is a Mega Pop rigged:

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 07:35:28 PM
That Mega Pop is a seriously angry looking lure. If I remember correctly, they're something like 200grams, aren't they? With the hooks you've got on, that beastie has got to be something like 230grams!!! You'd be $#!@# after about a dozen casts with that thing - and to make things worse, that's a pencil popper too so you need to work it pretty fast.

Mmmmm..... 200 grams + working fast   :o

I'd struggle working a stickbait that big!!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 08:29:05 PM
That Mega Pop is a seriously angry looking lure. If I remember correctly, they're something like 200grams, aren't they? With the hooks you've got on, that beastie has got to be something like 230grams!!! You'd be $#!@# after about a dozen casts with that thing - and to make things worse, that's a pencil popper too so you need to work it pretty fast.

Mmmmm..... 200 grams + working fast   :o

I'd struggle working a stickbait that big!!

That it is Brandon, this is only ever brought out for a dozen casts in BIG GT territory.

The good thing about this popper, despite it being a pencil, you can still work it slower like a chugger/blooper because the cup is so large! It glides and then does a big dump of water....looks awesome but as you said, very laborious!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 08:42:21 PM
For those who haven't seen one, this is a Bill's Bug: