Lance Ng

Hey Guys,

Spools on Z5000GT, Z6000GT, & SW10000 & of course the yumeya "D" series for Stellas are tapered, supposedly for better casting distance.

I just wonder if anyone here has personally experienced any significant difference in casting distance between casting with a tapered and a non-tapered spool - with all other variables such the same.

If you have experienced a difference, could u estimate how many % further? or how many metres further?

I do know that Bertrand wrote in another forum once that based on his experience, casting with lines of larger diameters are better relatively, using spools of higher line capacity.

Your valuable inputs please?

Cheers!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I use the Yumeya 10000D spools almost exclusively because the they are the right capacity more so than for any increase in casting distance.The spools certainly feel better when casting but while I feel it is superior for casting, I haven't worked out what the difference is in distance.

With regard to large diameter lines and large capacity spools, to a degree, that is common sense. If you use a large diameter line with a small spool, it'll get down the spool too far when you're casting.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
If using a Stella why bother with a tapered spool when you can adjust the washers to wind more to the front or back of the spool.  So the actual line "cone" is tapered - surely this is more important than the actual spool itself?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
I think some people are confusing what the casting spool actually is.

The Yumeya spool lip/top is simply a smaller diameter than that of the 20000 spool. This creates less resistance for the line leaving the spool, however, less resistance means that there is a sacrifice in line capacity i.e. there is less area to fit line on from the spool arbor to the spool lip.

As for a tapered line lay on the spool - I prefer a standard uniform lay.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Travis, everyone I know who has decided to try to "cone" the line has had catastrophic problems with wind knots.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Travis, everyone I know who has decided to try to "cone" the line has had catastrophic problems with wind knots.

And 'catastrophic problems' is an understatement :o, it should be OK with mono with the stretch factor.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
I think some people are confusing what the casting spool actually is.

The Yumeya spool lip/top is simply a smaller diameter than that of the 20000 spool. This creates less resistance for the line leaving the spool, however, less resistance means that there is a sacrifice in line capacity i.e. there is less area to fit line on from the spool arbor to the spool lip.

As for a tapered line lay on the spool - I prefer a standard uniform lay.

thanks for that look - i was obviously confused as to what was being talked about... :D

Interesting to hear that no-one likes the tapered line cone.  Slightly unrelated but my stella came set-up to wind to the back rather than the default straight up and down as stated in the manual...very annoying to realise once you've wound a spool full of line.