Dave Sinnott

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Daiwa Saltist 6500H report after 1 week of use
December 09, 2012, 03:33:57 AM
While mainly a Fly fishing trip, I did bring along some spin gear.

Returned from Christmas Island Kiribati and the Daiwa Saltist 6500H easily whooped 11 GT's up to 75 lbs, 1 Wahoo over 100 lbs and a 43 lb Tuna.
I installed Carbon-ex drag washers, power knob and line roller bearings before the trip.  Total cost of the reel and upgrades were $275 Canadian dollars delivered.  I had 400 yards of 80 lb power pro and never even reached the 1/2 way point on the spool.  The Wahoo we had to chase a little with the boat.  The drag (not locked down) stopped them quite easily.  The 6.2 :1 ratio made popping a lot easier.

I used an El-cheapo $46 - 2 - piece 8' Shimano Saguaro rod.  No problems at all.  My 3 buddies used the same set up and no problems with their equipment either.

Took the reel apart and it looks like new inside.  Would this setup work for larger GT's, I don't know but it handled some big nasty fish for me and didn't break the bank doing it.

Just thought I would share my experience for those looking for an inexpensive alternative to the higher priced outfits available.

If I chased GT's all the time I would probably make the investment in top quality stuff like my fly gear but for a week or two I think it is fine.

Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:26:54 AM by Dave Sinnott

Rhett Akutagawa

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
where do you go to find the upgraded roller bearing?

Dave Sinnott

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
www.bocabearings.com

Off the top of my head I think they were 5x9x3mm but the site will tell you.

Rhett Akutagawa

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Thanks