Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Carpenter: TBL vs EP
January 13, 2013, 12:32:29 AM
Lol - look forward to it Trev ... Nick is being deported back to the UK on Monday ... made up the spare room in case they don't let him leave! will have a chat to him then :D

Nicolas Lim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 16, 2013, 12:10:26 PM
EP 88/35 is a lot of fun. Bit long for using on a boat, but throwing lures that far is always fun :).

Really nice rod for throwing lures a mile. I can't wait for my custom EP810-42 RP ICBM. Throwing from the boat with the EP88/35 has been ok. Just have to look behind you before loading up. :-D

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 14, 2013, 08:12:17 PM
I saw's Guy's post which reminded me that I should follow this one up.

Went fishing in Musandam yesterday and tried out the new EP 85/36. Worked 140g gammas beautifully and flattered my casting ability no end, so all in all a success. Got a nice GT but on the Monster Hunter.

It is also very impressive in the power stakes, despite being a long relatively lightly built rod. Hooked a grey reef shark of about 6 foot on a floating stickbait. (Mods:Do we need to set up a topwater shark forum?)

The shark kicked my arse but the rod handled it like it was built for it.

Thanks for the advice guys, priceless.

Regards,

Trevor   

Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:24:19 PM by Trevor Skinner

Josh Tan Peng Siong

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 05:14:04 PM
Yea Trevor, I was caught between choosing EP85 or EP88. Got the latter instead. Hope the 3 inches more will help much with the distance. =P

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 05:46:56 PM
It will help with distance for sure Josh - EP 88/35 casts miles. But you will pay for it if you get into a big angry fish with a rod that long! And I find the length really unwieldy when on a boat. Apart from anything else I keep hitting the water with the tip when working the lure  >:( .

Mao Sheng

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 24, 2013, 12:46:51 AM
Hi everyone,

For the EP85/36, Swimbaits can use up to 140g.
How much weight can it goes for poppers?
Anyone can comment on the new rod for EP82/42 R-P1?

Regards

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 24, 2013, 10:07:27 AM
EP 85/36 will handle stickbaits larger than 140 grams.
Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:16:42 AM by Mark Harris

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 24, 2013, 05:18:09 PM
Hi ,

KLL EP82/42R P-1 wont be available until the first quarter of 2014 .

Jon .

Hi everyone,

Anyone can comment on the new rod for EP82/42 R-P1?

Regards
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Taufiq Dassian

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 22, 2015, 03:01:58 PM
This thread is old but gold. It really helped in my decision to get the EP 85/36.
I plan to use the same setup as Trevor but was undecided between the EP 82/38 or EP 85/36.
gonna be heading down to Komodo next month. hopefully i'll get to hook up a good one and really put this rod to the test.
Thanks everyone for sharing!

Alex Wong

• Fusilier
  • One more cast.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
December 22, 2015, 07:50:13 PM
This thread is old but gold. It really helped in my decision to get the EP 85/36.
I plan to use the same setup as Trevor but was undecided between the EP 82/38 or EP 85/36.
gonna be heading down to Komodo next month. hopefully i'll get to hook up a good one and really put this rod to the test.

Cool! Now I know why you bought it!

Taufiq Dassian

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 22, 2015, 08:06:56 PM

Cool! Now I know why you bought it!

Alex, guess i'm not the only one that reads this forum while at work. haha.

Glenn Waddle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 29, 2015, 09:32:56 AM
Hi Taufik
Good to know u are headed for Komodo. May u have the chanchance to put ur 8536 through the wringer. I have both the 8238 and 8536. I feel the 8536 is a better swimbait rod over the 8328. It is less versatile than 8238 in my opinion as the 8238 may be just good for a c cup. The TBL on the other end of spectrum are purely swimbait rod.
Cheers

Bryan Wong

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 27, 2016, 04:49:07 AM
just to ride on this topic,

say i had to choose one rod to bring for shallow terrain, choices being kll ep and the tbl 80/40, which would you choose? my impression of the rods is that the TBL has more stick down low than the EP. Reason im bringing this up is on the last trip, we basically got killed in the shallow game, and therefore we need to find a rod that enables me to be able to hang on and the boat back the fish out of the reef. I am not a heavy guy, just under 70kgs and therefore something like a broomstick mh79 would be too much rod for me to handle.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 14, 2016, 03:56:31 AM
just to ride on this topic,

say i had to choose one rod to bring for shallow terrain, choices being kll ep and the tbl 80/40, which would you choose? my impression of the rods is that the TBL has more stick down low than the EP. Reason im bringing this up is on the last trip, we basically got killed in the shallow game, and therefore we need to find a rod that enables me to be able to hang on and the boat back the fish out of the reef. I am not a heavy guy, just under 70kgs and therefore something like a broomstick mh79 would be too much rod for me to handle.

Hi Bryan,
My feedback is both KLL EP82/42 or TBL80/40 can be used for shallow terrain with PE8-PE10 lines. Both rods can handle 160g swimbait or 120g-135g popper easily. When on very shallow terrain (2-5m water depth), I have been advised to hold straight parallel and let the high drag works when the boat back the fish out of the reef (if there is time).
I found that EP82/42 rods is a good rod for my back during fighting a fish. TBL80/40 has more lifting power but kinda hurt my back a bit when the fish dives under the boat. I have no feedback on KLL TBL 80/43R-P1 (Australian model).

cheers
izhan