Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smith GTK-77 BG vs. Tokara 60 for BFT
January 14, 2013, 06:45:21 PM
Hi all
I'm looking to get a popping rod for BFT around 200 lbs,I like the Smith rods and are not that difficult to get in Egypt, unfortunately I have to order the rod; so I can't compare rods side to side.
Rod will be double duty, most importantly using stickbaits 75gms or heavier for BFT, second use is using poppers for GTs, Baraccudas to 50 lbs.
I'm comparing the GTK-77 BG Keyolhu vs.  Tokara 60 versus, not sure about the tip action and expected casting distance and fighting power for both,
links for both rods:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&ei=iJzzUIeqGof0sgb6lYGACw&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsmith.co.jp%26hl%3Den%26tbo%3Dd%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D653&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&twu=1&u=http://www.smith.co.jp/product/salt/wrc/index.html&usg=ALkJrhge6HRq2wUNzdlJGuSnTSUrNcOS8g

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&ei=iJzzUIeqGof0sgb6lYGACw&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsmith.co.jp%26hl%3Den%26tbo%3Dd%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D653&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&twu=1&u=http://www.smith.co.jp/product/salt/gtk/index.html&usg=ALkJrhjtHPWPRtMa5TT9REs2M7doLTFAbQ

your opinion is highly appreciated.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Smith GTK-77 BG vs. Tokara 60 for BFT
January 14, 2013, 08:29:28 PM
Hi Mahmoud + Salem,  :)

You would be inclined to acquire the Smith GTK-77BG as the all rounder for stickbaits & poppers. It's quite comfortable, parabolic and good strong back bone. With it's tip action you'll be able to cast the stickbaits of 75 gms and heavier to about say 140 gms, poppers to probably to about the same and give you the comfortable action.

Strong stick and balanced with PE8 line & will do the job on those BFT around 80 - 100 kg range that your after.

Tight Lines !.

Leo

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 14, 2013, 09:11:25 PM
Hi Mahmoud + Salem,  :)

You would be inclined to acquire the Smith GTK-77BG as the all rounder for stickbaits & poppers. It's quite comfortable, parabolic and good strong back bone. With it's tip action you'll be able to cast the stickbaits of 75 gms and heavier to about say 140 gms, poppers to probably to about the same and give you the comfortable action.

Strong stick and balanced with PE8 line & will do the job on those BFT around 80 - 100 kg range that your after.

Tight Lines !.

Leo

Dear Leo, thanks for your reply
I'd like to know more on what to expect compared to the Tokara 60?

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 14, 2013, 09:19:46 PM
The tokara 60 is more of a dedicated popper rod but will work larger stickbaits nicely also. It won't cast 85g lures very well more suited to 120g-200 maybe little heavier.

Yaniv Adler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 14, 2013, 10:35:38 PM
Ahlan Mahmoud

The Tokara60 will do the job for you with stick bait of 100g and above its a nice parabo rod.
It's depends of how you cast ... If you are casting good you are more then ok !!! but the rod
Is from the older generation. And if you spend the money already and looking for something a bit newer
Like the race point 200 form Saltywater tackle it's an awesome rod for bluefin tuna and GT's and the
price is good as well. The rod spec is : 8.2  pe8 lure 60-140 max drag 14kg . I Owen the 200 and 250
And they are a true best !!!!! you can go to ther web site and get a better look . or just call them at the shop
saltywatertackle.com 718 -648-2665

I hope it halps

Yaniv.

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 14, 2013, 10:50:03 PM
Ahlan Mahmoud

The Tokara60 will do the job for you with stick bait of 100g and above its a nice parabo rod.
It's depends of how you cast ... If you are casting good you are more then ok !!! but the rod
Is from the older generation. And if you spend the money already and looking for something a bit newer
Like the race point 200 form Saltywater tackle it's an awesome rod for bluefin tuna and GT's and the
price is good as well. The rod spec is : 8.2  pe8 lure 60-140 max drag 14kg . I Owen the 200 and 250
And they are a true best !!!!! you can go to ther web site and get a better look . or just call them at the shop
saltywatertackle.com 718 -648-2665

I hope it halps

Yaniv.

Dear Yaniv
the RP250 is one option I'm considering, the 200 will be too long for this size of fish from what I understood

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 16, 2013, 08:50:23 AM
Hi Mahmoud + Salem,

I can add onto my mate Leo's post as I recentley purchased the Smith GTK-77BG Keyolhu and I bought it to chase larger tuna and yellowtail kingfish primarily on stickbaits and poppers from 90gms up to around 180gms, as well as a GT stick if I the opportunity arises one day. I have the Saltiga BG85S as well as my dedicated stickbait and pencil popper rod as it works better at casting in the 60 to 120gm range.

The GTK-77BG hasn't been fired in anger just yet (hopefully soon), but it loads up very nicely, is comfortable to hang onto and the tip will lend itself better as an allrounder, the Tokara being rated at PE12 is stiffer and needs more weight to load up and cast which would be better suited for working larger poppers, not that it can't do both though.

Hopefully a bit more info, though you really need someone who has had experiences with both rods in the real world on the water to give a good opinion.

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:56:35 AM by Ian Cook

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 16, 2013, 04:52:34 PM
Hi Mahmoud + Salem,

I can add onto my mate Leo's post as I recentley purchased the Smith GTK-77BG Keyolhu and I bought it to chase larger tuna and yellowtail kingfish primarily on stickbaits and poppers from 90gms up to around 180gms, as well as a GT stick if I the opportunity arises one day. I have the Saltiga BG85S as well as my dedicated stickbait and pencil popper rod as it works better at casting in the 60 to 120gm range.

The GTK-77BG hasn't been fired in anger just yet (hopefully soon), but it loads up very nicely, is comfortable to hang onto and the tip will lend itself better as an allrounder, the Tokara being rated at PE12 is stiffer and needs more weight to load up and cast which would be better suited for working larger poppers, not that it can't do both though.

Hopefully a bit more info, though you really need someone who has had experiences with both rods in the real world on the water to give a good opinion.

Cheers,

Ian

Dear Ian, thanks for your reply, how good does your GTK cast light stickbaits(around 75 gms)?
I'm sure some one who have both rods will reply sooner or later

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 16, 2013, 06:34:23 PM
Hi Mahmoud  + Salem,

Unfortunately, I am yet to try it out properly and can only compare it to the Saltiga I have, however I believe as long as the 75gm lures you use are reasonably aerodynamic and not a bulky profile, you should get a good enough distance especially with some wind behind you or the day is calm.

Not much more help, I know  :-\, but hopefully someone with some more experience can shed some more light to your questions.

If I can get out and give it a test soon, I'll let you know how it performs  ;).

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:41:28 PM by Ian Cook

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 17, 2013, 07:39:04 PM
Hi Mahmoud  + Salem,

Unfortunately, I am yet to try it out properly and can only compare it to the Saltiga I have, however I believe as long as the 75gm lures you use are reasonably aerodynamic and not a bulky profile, you should get a good enough distance especially with some wind behind you or the day is calm.

Not much more help, I know  :-\, but hopefully someone with some more experience can shed some more light to your questions.

If I can get out and give it a test soon, I'll let you know how it performs  ;).

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you very much Ian, every little bit does help
Regards
Mahmoud

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 17, 2013, 09:21:08 PM
Not a problem Mahmoud, I'm glad to be able to at least provide some input into your query.

I hope you can eventually get all the advice you need, so you can make the right choice to suit your requirements.

All the best mate,

Cheers,

Ian