dante green

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rod specs?
January 17, 2013, 05:38:02 PM
Good day Fellas!!

I hope all is well for everyone.  Here's what I'm asking and hopefully I can get some insights :)

Why is that certain rods state their line range is like pe6 - pe10 and lure max is like 240gr but at the same time same model rod, just
a couple inches in difference, line range is like pe6 - pe8 and lure max is like 170gr?  I can't seem to understand why there's a significant
difference in lure weight?  I hope someone can shed some light here.  Before bashing at my novice curiosity, please know that its just a question.

cheers

D.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Rod specs?
January 17, 2013, 07:36:56 PM
Dante,

The blank will have a different profile, probably towards the tip especially. More flexible rods will likely have a lower max. lure rating and more than likely a lower maximum PE rating, although not necessarily (generalization there).

Regards,

Trevor   

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Rod specs?
January 17, 2013, 07:48:53 PM
Usually the lighter rod will be longer. They may have used the same blank but for the heavier one they lopped a couple of inches off the top :(

Its not a good way to do it as you end up with one has a really nice action and the other is a  "tippy" or the shorter one will be stiff, but that may not be a problem for distance casting :)
What it may feel like one will feel really nice but the other will not bend properly under load.

You can sort of fiddle a little with blanks by cutting a little off the tip & or the butt but its a bit hit & miss. I assume  if they are both by the same manufacturer, they haven't compromised too much  :)

Load them both up to what the manufacturer says and look at the curve and if they have cut the tip the bend will be a bit closer to an arc.

Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!