Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bali - mid-December 2012
December 31, 2012, 08:01:29 PM
It's great to see that you can develop a footprint for CnR in Bali. We were recently bemoaning the futility of trying to develop that mindset in SE Asia when I was on a snakehead trip so it really is good to see.

I do understand the economics of keeping some fish in the Pacific but I dislike the hypocrisy of some fishing show presenters who picture themselves as icons of the conservationist movement but then kill dogtooth after dogtooth. For some charter operators, this is also a costless way of keeping the local villages happy.
Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:30:57 AM by Brandon Khoo
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Bruno Boisset

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 01, 2013, 12:24:08 AM
Brandon,

I really do like your opinion about the costless way of  some operators.

Bruno

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 01, 2013, 04:23:38 AM
A rousing "Hear, hear" to that Brandon.

"Fish for the locals" is a cry we have heard far too much of. 

If an operator has clients paying thousands of dollars for the fishing privilege, then they can afford to pay whatever is required as local recompense. No need to massacre the fish.
Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:25:18 AM by Mark Harris

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 01, 2013, 02:01:46 PM
You have my full support on that one Brandon.It's the main reason Fiji is all but a dead fishery or maybe one fish a day place.What I find the most frustrating is that they charge enough to eat at the best restaurants on the planet yet they take everything landed.Some of the charter operator employees in Fiji for example are paid very poorly like FJ$120 per week for a 12 hour day 7 days a week .I generally give these people a decent tip and encourage them to catch and release because No Fish =No customers= No income ,regardless of how small.
Great report Mark,enjoy your comments as usual,very informative.
Can I have a little more info on your SP80M please.Don't know it.Thanks.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 01, 2013, 02:05:57 PM
Hey Mark ,Is that rod a LGM-SP80M,know that one but still appreciate your comments.?
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 01, 2013, 05:49:00 PM
Yes Neville, it's La Grande Mer SP80M, a rod I am using more and more for chuggers 120 to 140 gram

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 21, 2013, 05:24:50 PM
those are some great catches! feeling very good for my trip up to Lombok with Adhek next month :D

Hi Hwee - just following up - has your trip happened yet?  Were you with the group mid-month who did badly in Lombok and but very well back in Bali, just after the cyclone hit?  This group I mean:

Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:29:58 PM by Mark Harris

Hwee Guang Phang

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 21, 2013, 07:16:23 PM
Hey Mark, my trip is this weekend. Going to be a long work week   8)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 21, 2013, 11:06:30 PM
The very best of luck to you.

Lombok has been a bit quiet the last 2 trips I know of but that can change anytime. The Batu Abah site in Bali has been pumping consistently and I am sure you will be stopping there for a while :).
Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:43:33 PM by Mark Harris

Al Morrison

January 22, 2013, 09:37:23 AM
Gents,

The billfish segment has been through the CnR issue in many poorly developed locations and one of the early solutions was to actually buy the survival of the fish, ie pay a "bounty" if you like for each fish released. Gradually the importance/value of the live fish is realized and the industry develops along more sustainable lines. We probably need to develop better research and perceived value of our industry to lobby the correct people. For example in Guatemala catch and release of billfish is actually law now. It will be a long but valuable slog. Can you imagine having GT's protected like that? Now that's a target.