Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jig recommendations for coral trout
January 23, 2013, 12:55:03 AM
Hi all
I fish in the red sea, in Egypt, jigging and popping are relatively new in Egypt, so not much info is availiable
Coral trout is very sought after, but up till now I can't decide a certain jig style or color they prefer, have seen them caught on quite a variety, long, flat, etc
Do you gave any recommendations for jig models, shapes or colors

Thanks in advance
Mahmoud Salem

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Jig recommendations for coral trout
January 23, 2013, 08:48:30 AM
Hi Mahmoud

I can't speak for the Red Sea having no experience whatsoever there so I can only give you views based on my experience here. The coral trout is one of the most prized table fish in this country too. That said, I refer to them as "garbage guts", especially the big ones. The reason for this is that they will literally eat anything which they can get their mouths around.

If a jig is near them and they can catch it, they will eat it as like most predators, they are opportunistic. What I would suggest though is that slower jigs like sliders are best. I personally think soft plastics on a heavy jig head are probably even better, especially those where there is some scent in them. I have also found that inchiku or madai jigs are very effective. As I said, garbage guts - they will grab anything that comes by that is of a size they can eat.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 10:51:20 AM
Coral trout and related species are very sought after in Indonesia due to their high market price.  In my parts they are not that easy to catch and nothing like as common as in Australia.  The preferred jigs are Inchi-ku for sure.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 02:00:03 PM
For demersal jigging, try short wider jigs, & lumo colour also in deeper water.

Cheers David

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 05:57:12 PM
Hi Mahmoud

I can't speak for the Red Sea having no experience whatsoever there so I can only give you views based on my experience here. The coral trout is one of the most prized table fish in this country too. That said, I refer to them as "garbage guts", especially the big ones. The reason for this is that they will literally eat anything which they can get their mouths around.

If a jig is near them and they can catch it, they will eat it as like most predators, they are opportunistic. What I would suggest though is that slower jigs like sliders are best. I personally think soft plastics on a heavy jig head are probably even better, especially those where there is some scent in them. I have also found that inchiku or madai jigs are very effective. As I said, garbage guts - they will grab anything that comes by that is of a size they can eat.

Dear Brandon, I think I should give inchiku & madai jigs more time, I've used them only briefly, do you recommend any particular models?  I've only used Williamson cuase these are availiable around, will have to import others
Would appreciate if you can  provide some suggestions for sliders

Thanks
Mahmoud

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 07:12:33 PM
Mahmoud... on Inchiku jigging. I used to do quite a lot of this, inspired by good fishing friend who is an absolute master with these.

Probably more important than which brand you use, is how you work them. Almost invariably, the softer and slower, the better.  My friend has special Inchiku rods which are ultra soft tipped.  You don't need to go that far, but it emphasises the point about going softly with them.

As for brands, Duel/Yozuri (same company) make good Inchikus and they are widely available.  I also used to buy the Yozuri chrome bullets and make up the actual rig myself. That allows you to to use your favourite hooks and skirt type, as well as different cords.  By chrome bullets, I mean these, without the rigging:

I have also used a lot of Adhek Inchikus but I don't think they are available for sale at any stores.

The best of luck!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 09:15:22 PM
actually, just about every single model I have ever seen works! mark is right in my opinion though - it's all in how you work it and the best way to work them is extremely slowly In fact, on one trip I was on a couple of years ago, we found they worked by by simply putting the rod in the rod holder and letting the rocking of the boat dictate the movement.

I do think though that scented soft plastics are deadly on trout

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 10:12:45 PM
Mark, Brandon, thanks alot for your recommendations, will give it a try and try to resist the temptation of fast jigging!!

David, would you kindly clarify "demersal jigging"

Mahmoud

Tommy Du

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 10:24:04 PM
I'm am speaking out of theory , most tuna jigs were invented for bottom
Fish and then tested on tuna.
Used to drop now onto pop

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 10:26:54 PM
Demersals are fish like cod, coral trout, grouper, emperors etc. Fish like GTs, wahoo and mackeral are generally regarded as pelagics

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 10:29:14 PM

Tommy, what on earth are you talking about?

I'm am speaking out of theory , most tuna jigs were invented for bottom
Fish and then tested on tuna.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 10:52:01 PM
Demersal fish literally means those that feed on the bottom so includes things like flatfish and many sharks. Recreational anglers usually use the term to apply to the type of fish Brandon mentions.

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 27, 2013, 07:04:28 PM
Dear Mark, dear Brandon
Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll try with slow technique, do you know of any guiding video?
I'll add a few inchiku &  madai jigs, already got a few Williamsons and upgraded the hooks from the tiny stocks

A couple more questions
After dropping the jig, would you recommend staying on bottom(very risky with bottom hook on these jigs) or a few feet of the bottom or more, I believe higher might make the lure more exposed to fish at bigger distance as I won't be jigging the water column
Also which bags do you recommend for storing these types of lures, currently I'm using ones like these used for trolling skirts

Regards
Mahmoud

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 27, 2013, 08:08:48 PM
Look up lucanus jigs or inchiku on youtube. The problem is I suspect these lures are at their best when they are closest to where you will lose them. I keep them in hard plastic containers like tupperwares