Hwee Guang Phang

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First popping trip to Lombok
September 05, 2012, 07:07:42 PM
Hey guys,

I just booked my first trip to Lombok with Pak Adhek and would love to get some advice from you guys. I have only done light popping in Malaysia before this. The trip will be in January and from what I have read, I can expect some pretty decent action.

Rod wise, I am looking at a DJ83MH or CV79, unfortunately they don't seem to exist anywhere in Singapore! Alternatively I am considering the Kaiser El Toro 150 paired with a Stella 10000 (PE8  Tuff XP), would that be a good pairing? I am not too keen on the SOM 16000 as I think the Stella ARC spool lip does contribute a fair bit of distance.

Lure wise, I am intending on bringing a combination of El Toro (Heru Cuberas) 125, El Gaviota (Heru Skipjacks) 125, Halco Roosta 117, Adhek Venus 125, Penipen, Long Goby. Any other particular lures that would work well there? Would 3X Owner hooks suffice or should I get the X4 trebles?

Thanks!

-HG

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: First popping trip to Lombok
September 05, 2012, 07:10:40 PM
I'm not really too familiar with the Tuf Line but I think you'll find that the standard 10000 spool isn't adequate for PE8 and that a 16000 upgrade is pretty much mandatory.

Nick Wykeham-Martin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 05, 2012, 07:20:17 PM
Hi Hwee, speak to Sabre tackle in Singapore, they are the Carpenter dealers, i know he is getting in a few different models before the end of the year.

Hwee Guang Phang

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 05, 2012, 08:11:06 PM
Jay, yea i was thinking about that. Do you reckon I could just go for a 18k Stella?

Nick: Thanks for heads up! I think they are getting some Coral Vipers, I might go for that! (though I really want a DJ83MH after reading the glowing reviews)

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 05, 2012, 08:42:14 PM
Hi Hwee

Regarding the fishing, I think Mark Harris is one of the experts there. Maybe he would even sell you one of his 1000
 rods  ;D
Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:01:55 PM by Brandon Khoo
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 05, 2012, 09:03:36 PM
Peter - your post was amended as your referral was to a non-sponsor
Please refrain accordingly
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 05, 2012, 09:16:39 PM
Hi Hwee

You are in very good hands with Adhek and his crew. He knows those South Lombok popping waters better than anybody who is still operating.  Listen seriously to the friendly advice he will inevitably impart.

Rod-wise you would be fine with either DJ83MH or CV79/40 - both appropriate for the waters.  Casting distance is not really an issue at the main sites. 

Those lures you mention will do you fine.  You don't need big poppers as the waters are not deep. A couple of the best spots can be very sexy current wise with big chop in the water as well, so I would recommend having a sinking stickbait or two in case you can't get floating lures to work (highly possible in the chop). Heru Bobara would do you nicely - just use it as a sub-surface lure to hold the water if the chop is very nasty.

You can't really get enough PE8 on a 10000 spool and I would not advise going down to PE6 in those gnarly waters.  If a 16000 is out as you want a Shimano lip, then you could look at a Yumeya or Twinpower 12000 spool for your SW10000 - you will get 200 metres of PE8 onto a 12000 OK.

I have done a lot of  trips to South Lombok and it can be outstanding. 50 kg+ monster GTs are there and there are a lot of smaller ones. The by-catch can be fun as well with good size Red Bass, Spanish Mackerel and lesser trevallies.  I will probably be over there 3 or 4 times later this year before your trip and will keep you posted  8) .

It's a fantastic place to fish for the scenery as well - truly stunning part of the world.  Cheers and the best of luck.

Peter:  All very hilarious... definitely not a 1,000 and definitely none for sale  ;D ;D . And definitely not an expert!
Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:58:39 PM by Mark Harris

Hwee Guang Phang

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 06, 2012, 05:31:45 PM
Thanks Mark, glad to have some advice from you, especially on the reel size. I actually decided to go with Adhek after reading the reports on your blog. :D

I also managed to source out the DJ83MH (thanks Jon) and MH80M, considering getting one of them to pair with the 18k SW.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 06, 2012, 07:42:31 PM
One day I might actually update that blog....  :-[  . I am though very pleased to hear you found it helpful. For the lures you mentioned, DJ83MH would be a fine choice.

Hwee Guang Phang

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 29, 2013, 05:39:09 PM
I am back from my trip to Lombok, unfortunately it did not turn out well.

It was meant to be a 2 day quick trip. As with the previous groups this month, Lombok was really quiet even though we hit many of Adhek's favorite spots. A strike was elicited in the morning on Adhek's Big Buffalo which is a really great popper, unfortunately it did not convert to a  hookup. There were no strikes for the rest of the day to our surprise and dismay.

The second day, we decided to head straight to Batu Abah. Unfortunately, the hydraulic pipe burst halfway. It was quickly replaced; however, the spare  unexpectedly broke 10 minutes later. We then spent the a good part of the day crawling back to Bali with the crew manually steering the boat. To Adhek's credit, he and his crew tried their best to fix the pipe and got someone to pick us up halfway so we could quickly get back to Bali. 

Nevertheless Adhek's a great guy to be fishing with, trying to see if I can find an opportunity to go back soon  8)