Grant Zietsman

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: assist hooks for doggies
August 14, 2013, 02:17:15 PM
Not sure if you have already made the purchase, however I have found that we were loosing heaps of jigs and all the bling to Spanish.
I have since then tracked down jigging assist cord to the yatch boys. they sell the same stuff for much cheaper!
I went through whitworths, i got the equivalent in the prefered diameter for a rediculous price...think 100m cost me approx $70, pretty sure that will last me and my crew a very long time!!!

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 14, 2013, 06:47:39 PM
Hi Grant

Out of interest, what is the cable that you are using? Do you know what it is called on the Whitworths site? Thought it might be worth a look but can't see anything on there that looks suitable (though perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot).

Cheers

Dan

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 14, 2013, 07:35:31 PM
Spaniards will make a mess out of normal assist cord. Zylon is more resilient but if the spaniards are really bad, you need wire or use a few split rings inatead.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Grant Zietsman

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 30, 2013, 11:12:25 AM
Hi Grant

Out of interest, what is the cable that you are using? Do you know what it is called on the Whitworths site? Thought it might be worth a look but can't see anything on there that looks suitable (though perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot).

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

It is 2mm Spectra...I bough the 100m spool, but see that there are other options 10m - 1000m
Just come back from Vanuatu and had no drama with assist cord it worked a treat!
Brandon is right, when the Spanish come on the bite you may lose a hook or two but then you just change up to something appropriate.
Code for it was BRY0251M - Donaghys seems to be the brand.
Mate bought a 10m spool last night for $12....

Hope that helps!

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 30, 2013, 05:15:00 PM
Thanks Grant, I'll give it a go.

If the stated figures of 2mm and 295kg break load are correct then it seems to be roughly double the strength per diameter that this Varivas is? (unless my maths is dodgy?!)
http://yeehaa.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=600
that Varivas being roughly 1.8mm but 117kg break load and in the region of triple the price

Be interesting to see what the bite resistance is like. Did you try it with any dogtooth or similar?