John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bali mega report
December 19, 2012, 03:53:56 PM
Hey guys, just off the water feeling a tad sore this morning as its been a trip of a million casts but with rewards.   3 days with Adhek produced some lovely fish.  Here is a cut and paste from my blog (with a little editing) along with a few photos, many more pics on the blog if you care to look.  I am in no way associated with ASWB but my god they killed it!

here it goes....
Well we have just finished off the final 3 day charter for 2012, it was awesome to have good mates Kyle (Jaks Lures Australia and Fullscale Lures) and 'Ace' Jase Taylor (Ebb Tide Adventures) along with a GT 'virgin' Alex a mate of Kyles.  Fishing just after the December new moon there were big tides, currents were strong and hopes were high.  Alex was just keen to get amongst his first GT whilst Kyle and Ace were both after a personal best, both had scored a plethora of GT's in the past fishing the Montebello Islands over the years but a giant so far had eluded both of them.  Fishing with Adhek on the fabled GT1 they were in with the best chance possible in these waters at least.  Day one consisted of fishing Batu Abah on Nusa Penida Island and the water conditions looked extremely positive but we flogged the water all morning for a single bump.  Weary arms started casting after lunch and Kyle finally came up tight on an ASWB sinking stick bait.  This fish really used the strong currents to its advantage and punched above its weight.  Kyle had probably equaled his PB with this first fish. 

Bali has recently been subjected to the first wet season rains.  This is fine except it means that all the waste and rubbish in the waterways gets flushed into the waterways and out to sea.  In some of the backwaters and eddies at Batu Abah this flotsam had attracted a large school of fusiliers - sailfish had been seen attacking them earlier in the day and we kept returning for a cast.  Late in the day, Kyle let his sinking stick drop under the school and came up very tight!  A stubborn, back breaking fight ensued that resulted in this GT of 133cms fork length and 114 cms girth!  Kyle had his PB well and truly smashed now!!!!

Day 2 was the long trek to Lombok.  The water was brilliant looking but current a tad modest.  A bit of a non event, we scored two baby GT's both on ASWB.  On my last trip to Lombok I was reefed by a good fish in a reef filled bay whilst using an Adhek Bali Cuttle popper.  This was high on my mind as we again came to the same section and I of course had another Cuttled loaded up and was searching the same spot.  Bang I was on and about 5 seconds later same result.  Next time the drag WILL be locked!!!!

Day 3 was back to Batu Abah.  Some weary bodies commenced to cast but we were somewhat enthused by good reports from Mark Harris and Simon Bomholdt who had scored good fish the evening before.  The day began with some exploratory casting and apart from another sailfish showing itself the current was too slow.  A re think saw us turn to some deep jigging and dinner was secured before moving to the main popping site again after lunch.  Cast 4 produced this gem with its long lead body that severely tested my back with its good use of the fast current!  Again - ASWB!  The take on this fish was spectactular, ripping across the surface after its second swipe.  Long toms showered out of the water all around!  Well into the afternoon of day 3 and Alex was fishless.  He had cast and popped like a champion but had only enjoyed a missed hook up to this point.  Everyone was overjoyed when he hooked up and landed his first ever GT - well done mate = respect!   Ace had enjoyed a modest return so far on this trip but his fortunes changed and it seemed he was onto the fish of a life time!  Unfortunately what was thought to be a monster was actually a foul hooked fish that made very good use of the current!  Next time mate.  In the photos, note the twisted leader about to fail!  All terminals, leader and reel were affected by the load from this big girl!

A few photos follow but there are about 30 here - http://ebbtideadventures.blogspot.com/2012/12/bali-gts-time-for-monster.html

ebbtidetackle.com

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Bali mega report
December 19, 2012, 04:22:17 PM
Great stuff guys, some very good fish in that lot!

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 19, 2012, 06:58:46 PM
Great trip by the looks of it! Fantastic report too J.C.
The Aswb's certainly produce. Was there a particular retrieve style that worked better than others?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2012, 08:13:11 PM
Really well done John and friends!  A 133 cm fork length GT is a really great fish anywhere in the world.

Following on form the success of John's group, we had more quality GTs at Batu Abah yesterday on a DIY trip and more today with Adhek (just back). There are not a lot of them but they all seem to be large, feisty beasts.  Several females noticeably heavy with eggs. 

Excellently written and great photos as usual John, with some interesting insights.

Ps, I reckon you have the coolest avatar of any GTPopping member  8) .
Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:06:23 PM by Mark Harris

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
December 19, 2012, 10:29:55 PM
Thanks Brad, Smithers, Mark.  Mighty weary today mostly from casting!  Thanks Mark, I think its a cool shot too :) ;)
ebbtidetackle.com

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 19, 2012, 11:51:44 PM
Enjoyable read and great shots/fish .. you boys seem to be dominating the past week or so having seen the brutes Mark n co have also caught. No flying off the boat and into the washing machine this time Cahill? That is disappointing.

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
December 20, 2012, 12:15:44 AM
Enjoyable read and great shots/fish .. you boys seem to be dominating the past week or so having seen the brutes Mark n co have also caught. No flying off the boat and into the washing machine this time Cahill? That is disappointing.

As I was using Adheks custom Caerpenters and Ace's Ripple Fisher when he wasn't looking I was holding on extra tight with my girly arms Ed but it took away from the excitement for the lads as im sure it was entertaining...!  there is no doubt there are some big girls there right now that's for certain.
ebbtidetackle.com

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
December 20, 2012, 09:52:16 AM
Great work Boys tops stuff,nice images,Blue Mullet ASWB is a awesome lure...

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
December 20, 2012, 03:53:19 PM
Hey Nath thanks mate, and on the ASWB's, I love the look and build of them but prior to this week we had not enjoyed a stack of success on them in Bali (save for a few juvenile dogtooth bites) but this week they have been the 'go to' lure accounting for all strikes except 1 and plenty of other gear got a good swim so they all had their chance.  Conditions and bait available (fusi's and small long tom) must have been a good match perhaps?  My 2 bobs anyway!
ebbtidetackle.com

Arve Evensen

February 04, 2013, 05:54:11 PM
Hi Guys..
Do you release all the fish? Or just the small ones..??

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 04, 2013, 06:54:36 PM
The operation of adhek is 100% catch and release
Greetings
Simon