Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bali GT fishing reports
May 15, 2013, 10:37:18 PM
I get some much ribbing about the towels :)  and it does like a bit weird.  It is a kind of well-considered thing though - the towels are clean and wet with sea water, and thereby better for the fish I think than direct contact with human skin.

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 16, 2013, 03:06:34 PM
Some fantastic fish in this thread bro, awesome work. Not sure i should start about the towel though ..  :o  I have cancelled your booking here start of the season mate, seems you have all the fish you need right there you greedy bugger! Well done to all involved and great to see you pushing hard to catch & release in an area where many dont understand the concept. Get some tags!  ;)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 16, 2013, 03:23:54 PM
Some fantastic fish in this thread bro, awesome work. Not sure i should start about the towel though ..  :o  I have cancelled your booking here start of the season mate, seems you have all the fish you need right there you greedy bugger! Well done to all involved and great to see you pushing hard to catch & release in an area where many dont understand the concept. Get some tags!  ;)

Towels, crocs, whatever next eh :)

Tags are all arranged mate - waiting for delivery.

Thanks for the nice words - sometimes I can't quite believe that all these fish are right there on my doorstep. 

Sunny Sundarum

May 22, 2013, 01:52:15 PM
Nice photos Mark and thanks for the report too.

We know what to bring for our trip to Bali.. 8)

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
June 02, 2013, 02:31:49 PM
The Bali GT season is pretty much over now until September/October, so this thread will likely go quiet until then.

One little snippet though - last week a GT of approximately 120 cm bearing an Adhek tag from Batu Abah was photographed and observed for several minutes by divers in the Amed area of East Bali, approximately 72 km to the north of the tagging site.  It was the lead fish in a school of about 20 GTs.

Many thanks to all of those who have taken the time to respond in this thread - really appreciated.

Cheers

MARK

Hey Mark amazing that sighting - awesome actually rather than amazing - did you mention that there was footage of this?  As a side note, where did you end up sourcing tags?

cheers
ebbtidetackle.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2013, 04:24:27 PM
Hey John

I believe there were photos taken. I don't know about footage.

On the tags - NSW Fisheries agreed to sell them but still waiting for them to raise an invoice (several months waiting in fact) and it is proving so hard, I will think we will cancel and buy them direct from a tag producer.

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
June 02, 2013, 10:40:56 PM
Hey John

I believe there were photos taken. I don't know about footage.

On the tags - NSW Fisheries agreed to sell them but still waiting for them to raise an invoice (several months waiting in fact) and it is proving so hard, I will think we will cancel and buy them direct from a tag producer.

Not surprised Mark - they are a tad inefficiency.  Where does Ed get his?
ebbtidetackle.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2013, 10:55:36 PM
No Boundaries tags come from the African Billfish Foundation: http://www.africanbillfish.org/

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 03, 2013, 05:49:44 AM
There are many places to buy tags from, none are cheap but the feeling of satisfaction i get releasing a tagged fish is almost up there with hooking it. Check this site out - http://www.fishtagger.com/index.php

I bought ours from the ABF but the first batch they sent had a huge metal 'anchor' which i really didnt like the look of. The small plastic hook ends are the way forward -

Great news you will start tagging the fish, not sure why everyone doesnt get involved in such a simple feat that will help us further understand the mighty GT.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 03, 2013, 01:30:15 PM
The ones with the small plastic hook ends are what we use locally here in Australia. I've caught a number of bass with tags in them but never another species. Nomad did it for one season but I think to date, they have only ever recovered one fish with a tag in it.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 03, 2013, 03:55:25 PM

We had discussion with Mogi-san on the mortality of GT after being CnR , it's a concensus in Japan that in order to ensure the survivability of the fish , it's best not to remove the fish from the water or if the fish are to be weighed / measured , put  them in an  onboard livebait tank large enough to accomodate the fish to revive the measured / weighed fish before releasing it back . I believe Capt. Fukui Kenzaburo's Big Dipper has this tank and he has already recovered a few tagged fish since this practice was implemented a couple of years ago .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 03, 2013, 04:27:23 PM
One of Ed's tagged GTs has been re-captured as well Luke took the details of that one I believe.

With Adhek - I know 2 of his tagged fish have been recaptured in addition to the one sighted which is described above.

The NSW Fisheries guys mentioned to me in passing that Nomad had a lot of re-captures including one on the same day. No idea if that is really the case or not.

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 03, 2013, 04:46:31 PM
Guys try contacting the people below for tags

http://hallprint.com/

And remember to fill tag cards in correctly and keep on top of your records, otherwise its a pointless exercise.

Let me know if you need anymore assistance.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 03, 2013, 04:56:33 PM
Hey Tony - would really appreciate your advice on which Hallprint tag would be the most appropriate for GTs.

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 04, 2013, 09:27:52 AM
Hi Mark

Use the Large dart tags (PDA)

http://www.hallprint.com/1327/1354.html