Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Big guns: Tokara vs WV
April 10, 2008, 12:53:43 AM
Hi guys,
Okay here's my dillema. At the moment, I have a Wild Violence 80XH that's mine, and a Tokara 60 that a mate's lent to me. I will be bringing both to Exmouth to fish with. The catch is... I can only keep one, as I can sell the WV and hold onto the Tokara.

Now I've fished with both, and both are awesome. For a beginner like me, I am still far from harnessing the full potential of either rods, but I am beginning to question whether the Wild Violence is truly beyond me. After 6 full days of popping nonstop at New Cal, the Wild Violence was really beginning to kill my arms. Picking up the Tokara and casting with it felt like a breeze.

On the flipside, and I hope someone with more experience can back me up or contradict me on this, the sheer amount of pressure you can put on a fish with the WV eclipses the Tokara. It really is a wild thing.

I will make up my mind after Exxy, but in my restless state I would also like know what anyone else might think  ;D

No, there is no option of keeping both, I think; otherwise byebye return trip with LPB...
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Big guns: Tokara vs WV
April 10, 2008, 07:56:52 AM
Kasey, to be realistic, only you can make that assessment overall on what you are comfortable fishing with.

I don't think that there is any doubt whatsoever that the WV is a stronger stick than the Tokara. To me, the WV is a true PE12 stick whereas the Tokara feel very much to me like a PE8-10 with 10 really being the maximum range of the rod.

If anyone wants to disagree, please do. I fished two Tokaras for a number of years so I am very familiar with the sticks. As many of you will attest, you are carrying Komodo Dragons today primarily because of me. I carry one myself and while I love the Smiths, I am also strongly of the view that PE10 (130lb) is the limit of the KD (or maybe just beyond), just like it is for the Tokara. The rod is just over-saturated when you really load up on PE12. With a rod like the WV or SP78UHL, I have no fear of that - it's load it up to the max on PE10-12.

You need to take into account the size of the GTs you want to chase. If you locale is New Caledonia, stick with the WV. On the other hand, if it is Exmouth and the GTs are smaller (sorry guys but I don't know - Exmouth GTs may be huge), you may find the Tokara a more suitable stick.

All of that said, a strong young bloke like you should persevere with the WV. If you can load up that OH55XHS of mine on a good samson, then you can handle the WV.

If you go for the Tokara and you're in New Caledonia and you hook the GT of a lifetime . . . . .
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 09:08:24 AM
Thanks for the information Brandon. I have not used my WV 80 yet as I am waiting for a trip to one of my favourite popping spots before I put it through its paces. I was quite comprehensively "schooled" by a monster fish on my Kaibutsu DM there a while ago so I am hpoing to turn the tables around this time.
I was also deciding between a Komodo Dragon or a Super Popping 78 SHP UHL to couple up with a new Stella 18000 HG in a couple of months. I need a rod that can truly handle big cupped poppers. What is your opinion on the Carpenter as opposed to the KD?

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 01:44:10 PM
Hi Brandon,
Thanks for invaluable advise as always. The way I see it, the WV is an 'extreme' rod, and I will probably have to get something a step down in the future (hmm.... Coral Viper maybe?  :P). I feel I need one 'medium heavy' rod, for 'take a break' purposes, and perhaps also for more effective stickbait work. It might just be me, but the WV does not seem suited for all stickbaits, only heavy sinking ones like the BigFoot.

I already have a WRC80P/35 and I have newfound respect for this 'beginner light newbie' rod, although of course I feel it maxes out at around 80lb, so I doubt it will see the shores of New Caledonia.

Also, no doubt I loaded up that OH55XHS with a decent bend, but it was not painless!
Ken Konishi must be another deceptive Japanese gentleman (like Okubo); not a huge mountain of a man, but immense power. Your encouragement to 'tame' the WV has given me confidence, and I'll make up my mind in two weeks.

To those that may be interested, a lovely looking Tokara may be on the market soon...

Cheers,
Kasey.

P.S. I will have a Fisherman CC Monster 72 R10 pass through my hands, again with the option to buy. Can anyone, Luke maybe, offer some feedback from experience? I have been given a really good price, and it may just be a matter of instant noodles and an egg for dinner for a couple of weeks...

I know I know I said I was broke, goddammit  >:( >:( >:(

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 01:47:51 PM
Sachin,
I think that the action and stiffness of the Carpenter you are talking about is very different from the KD. But I will leave it to those with more experience to elaborate.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 02:22:42 PM
The Kaibatsu Deep Monster is a pretty strong rod, Sachin! I think that unfrotunately, we just have to accept that there are going to be GTs from time to time that are going to give us an arse-whoopin' and there isn't anything we can do about it. That said, I think you will be very pleased with the WV80.

With regard to a new rod, if what you're looking for is a rod specifically for big cup-faced poppers, then it's a very easy choice. Go for the SP-78UHL. If there is a better rod for big chuggers, I haven't seen it. You're a lucky bugger - a new UHL and Stella 18000HG - what a combination!

Thanks for the information Brandon. I have not used my WV 80 yet as I am waiting for a trip to one of my favourite popping spots before I put it through its paces. I was quite comprehensively "schooled" by a monster fish on my Kaibutsu DM there a while ago so I am hpoing to turn the tables around this time.
I was also deciding between a Komodo Dragon or a Super Popping 78 SHP UHL to couple up with a new Stella 18000 HG in a couple of months. I need a rod that can truly handle big cupped poppers. What is your opinion on the Carpenter as opposed to the KD?
:D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 02:52:54 PM
Kasey, I'd really encourage you to persevere with the WV. You're young and pretty bloody strong so you should adapt to the rod. I'm not sure what it is that is getting you so tired from the WV. Is it the casting or the popping action? Just remember with casting that you don't need to cast your arse off - it's all about getting the right drop, loading the rod properly and extending through. You don't need to really go ballistic and you shouldn't anyway otherwise you'll never last a trip!

A friend of mine, Malcolm Crane casts effortlessly and can do it day after day with a pretty relaxed action. It's just good technique.

There is no doubt that the WV is an extreme rod - it's one of the strongest rods made by one of the best GT rod producers out there. in time, it definitely is worth your while getting a lighter GT rod and by that, I mean a PE6-8 rod. There are a number of choices in this category and the rod you have identified may be a good choice -the Coral Viper. The problem is I can't give you an opinion on it yet because I won't be testing it out till Monday afternoon.

You are pretty much on the mark with your comment on the stickbaits and the WV. You do need to WV for really big stickbaits as the Coral Viper won't handle them but how good is the WV with a Bigfoot 190? It's just about perfect. The KD is good too for the Bigfoot 190.

I have minimal experience with Fisherman GT rods so the only comment I will make is that a GT rod that is 7'2" is really only for someone who is a very competent caster or for a rather special location where casting distance is not an imperative. I had a friend who was using this particular model who struggled with casting distance.

Hi Brandon,
Thanks for invaluable advise as always. The way I see it, the WV is an 'extreme' rod, and I will probably have to get something a step down in the future (hmm.... Coral Viper maybe?  :P). I feel I need one 'medium heavy' rod, for 'take a break' purposes, and perhaps also for more effective stickbait work. It might just be me, but the WV does not seem suited for all stickbaits, only heavy sinking ones like the BigFoot.

I already have a WRC80P/35 and I have newfound respect for this 'beginner light newbie' rod, although of course I feel it maxes out at around 80lb, so I doubt it will see the shores of New Caledonia.

Also, no doubt I loaded up that OH55XHS with a decent bend, but it was not painless!
Ken Konishi must be another deceptive Japanese gentleman (like Okubo); not a huge mountain of a man, but immense power. Your encouragement to 'tame' the WV has given me confidence, and I'll make up my mind in two weeks.

To those that may be interested, a lovely looking Tokara may be on the market soon...

Cheers,
Kasey.

P.S. I will have a Fisherman CC Monster 72 R10 pass through my hands, again with the option to buy. Can anyone, Luke maybe, offer some feedback from experience? I have been given a really good price, and it may just be a matter of instant noodles and an egg for dinner for a couple of weeks...

I know I know I said I was broke, goddammit  >:( >:( >:(

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 04:14:02 PM
Thanks Brandon. Lookslike the UHL it is then.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 07:22:01 PM
Looks like I just need a big can of 'harden-up' and to practice my casting technique  ;D ;D ;D ;D And I suppose the popping claw catches up with you after 6 days-non-stop-pop, WHATEVER rod you use.

Talking about the Coral Viper, once you've tested it, I hope you'll be able to help explain something that's got me thinking. The CV is supposed to be a stickbait AND chugging rod, but isn't that rather contradicting? I would have thought a chugging rod would have a stiff tip; and a stickbait rod, a more soft, sensitive top. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks Brandon,

P.S. I've met Malcolm a couple of years ago, when I was playing decky for Shikari. A very calm and friendly gentleman. I don't expect him to remember me, but I do recall him saying, as we passed Rottnest island 'A bit more global warming and that would be a great GT spot'.
 :-\
Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:24:20 PM by Kasey Leong

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 09:34:09 PM
Yes, I think the popping claw is inevitable!  :D

You've made a good point about the CV in that it is a little contradictory for a rod to be good for both chugging and stickbaits. I've had a little bit of a play with it now in testing how it works and it can pop small poppers effectively. I wouldn't think of using any big cup faced chuggers with it though. It's ok for poppers up to about the 120g mark or so. To me, it is primarily a stickbait rod.

Actually, now that you mention it, Malcolm did remember you when I mentioned we had fished together last year in December.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 08:54:55 AM
I think the right advice has already been given in this thread.

This is simply my opinion, but I think the most effective Elephant guns are FAST action. Powerful casters and real "come here" action and fighting power. Having said that, they can be equally as hurtful on an angler so you need to develop technique that will allow you to fish it to it's potential without needing to ice your loins overnight! ;D

The Fisherman 72 R10 is a sweet rod, but as Brandon mentioned, if you have difficulty casting - you may struggle. You can still get good distance for fishing the DEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 16, 2008, 06:44:46 AM
Hi Guys. What would the take out be between a Tokara WRC 60 and a Hots Gipang 75 XXH ?
I have got a option to buy either of these so some feedback would be handy. I want a a brute buster of a rod and already have a WV80 and a Caranx Kaibutsu DM.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 16, 2008, 07:37:05 AM
hi sachin ..

I have a tokara 60 rod . i have found that the tokara is very great working with stickbait after a few popping trip .... for popper work .. i find the rod a bit to soft to do the popping work .. as i want the popper to make a good big splash and pop loud but it donen,t do that due to soft tip . so i grab my 2nd popping rod was carpenter and i was shocked that it worked so well as it make so more splash and pop loud a lot .. i got more hook up with it .. so i have found hat the tokara is a great rod to work with stick bait .. but i still hook a lot on stickbait on the tokara ..

i hope that help,s .. i,m just sharing my thought to you ..

the hot rod is new to me so i haven,t try them yet ..

p.s. i want another carpenter popper rod ...