Dick Sweeney

What size trebles / split rings / assist
April 14, 2008, 09:20:35 AM
Hi

I am of the Maldives in two weeks on a live aboard surfing / fishing trip... I'm prepared with jigs and poppers but wanted to take some back up hooks just in case.

I have some large (ish) poppers at 200mm - 120 gr - what size replacement hooks would I require - Owner ST66 and split ring

The same for stick baits in the 150mm - 65gr size.

Jig wise 230 - 280 mm   - 130gr - 200 gr - assist hooks..... not sure which brand on these I should look at.

I ask all this as I will buy them online.... and normally buy when looking at them...

Any help would be appreciated..

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What size trebles / split rings / assist
April 14, 2008, 10:20:45 AM
For the poppers, go with 4/0 or 5/0 ST66s and Owner size 11 split rings.

For the stickbaits, go with 2/0 or 3/0 trebles and size 10 or 9 split rings.

For the jigs, get the premade Owner assist hooks. It's just easier. Go with either 7/0 or 9/0
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dick Sweeney

Re: What size trebles / split rings / assist
April 14, 2008, 11:06:45 AM
Much appreciated Brandon.............

Just another quick questions as it seems your pretty knowledgeable on this kind of thing... I have a twinpower 8000 HG and a Saltiga Z4000..The TP8000 poppering and the Saltiga for Jigging. I was going to run 50lb (PE5?) and 40lb (PE4?)........ leaders being 60 - 100lb... does this seem about right for the region....I'm not looking to nail the biggest of fish... but medium size... It seems that the reef there is less sharp than other places.... and as I am a beginner I should imagine that casting distance and finer PE on smaller threadlines would make sense.....

Regards

Dick Sweeney