wes_jones

single strand leaders
February 25, 2013, 06:23:39 PM
Hi Guys

Im off to exmouth in may and my guide has suggested single strand leaders over twisted so this is what im goin with.

my question is on brand and also length

i have done as much reading as i can as im extremmly new to the world of popping GT's but learning fast from this site as it has been like a bible for me at the moment.

from what i have been able to read this is what im going to set up with as far as leaders.

150 to 170 lb jinkai or shogun attached with FG knot to pe 8 as im confident with this knot as i use it to jig sambos an kings and also to stickbait kings.

as far as length goes i was going to go for a length around the 2 to 2.5 m meter mark?

was just looking for a bit of confirmation on this as im a bit of a greenhorne you might say

apologise for the novice question but would rather ask than go wondering!

Cheers Wes

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: single strand leaders
February 25, 2013, 06:48:02 PM
Sounds like you have had some good advice.

For me, the length of leader would be determined a bit by the rod length. I like to leave about two turns of leader on the spool when setting up for a cast - I guess that is about 2.5 metres to 3 metres depending on the rod length.

If you don't mind casting by holding braid on your finger then you can go shorter of course.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2013, 07:58:41 PM
I tried the same set up as mark has suggested with about two turns of leader on my spool but found it more prone to wind knots.
Now I run a shorter leader where my FG sits near the stripper guide and have found this to be much better just about eliminating wind knots all together.

I dont have any issues holding the braid when casting.....I use Jerry Brown solid PE 8 and havent noticed any deterioration of the line even after 4-5 days of full on casting.

Pete

Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
February 25, 2013, 08:15:47 PM
Finger on braid works great and reduces possibility of wind knots and increases casting distance. The only set back, the section of braid where it contacts the glove will wear. Mandating a change whenever fraying becomes visible. Or end of day even if fraying is not, rate of use dependent of course.

If you're using fluorocarbon (not necessary for GT casting IMHO) then, as little line or none in the spool to reduce wind knots. Like Mark, I have 2-3 turns of mono in the spool and the length of leader is dictated by rod length.

I tie my leader direct to the lure, and this length will allow me a few lure changes before all the mono is out of the spool. Little know fact that nylon leaders WILL weaken and deteriorate quite rapidly under UV. So it behooves us to change leader sooner than we think necessary.

I change my leader end of day or after 2 days if the usage if low and rod is kept out of direct sun.

Ben

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2013, 08:21:22 PM
Spot on Pete and Ben about finger on the braid - you will get a bit more distance and a few less wind knots. I find it uncomfortable though and fatigue on the braid is a concern.

Like so many things in fishing, use a set up that you are most comfortable and confident with.

Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:31:12 PM by Mark Harris

wes_jones

February 26, 2013, 08:34:58 AM
Thanks lads much appreciated

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 08:53:06 AM
Wes, don't be put off twisted leaders. There is no clear cut case either way between twisted leaders and single strand. My only suggestions if you want to use twisted leaders is first, to learn to connect them properly and two, to ensure they are short enough so that the connection is in the guides. You will avoid a lot of grief this way.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 09:30:30 AM
Good question Wes,our motley crew are getting on the boat after you,leave a few for us!!!!
  ;D

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 09:33:58 AM
Should mention I Will be rigging in a similar fashion but most likely using PR knot,still perfecting it,haha,cheers

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 09:39:10 AM
RE: fingers on braid and wear.  I always cast with fingers on braid and never have had issues with wind knots or wear on the braid.  With that said when casting I do use 4 fingers on the braid instead of one that most people tend to use...

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 11:54:27 AM
My setup is a pr knot to a single strand leader. Normaly I run a leader outside my guides and a little less than a meter and a half long (about 4 feet) and cast with a long leader. Its looks cumbersome and you can still wind it through your guides if you want but I tend to leave it out the guides. If I want a longer leader I run it to the first stripper guide and cast the leader through the guides. I hate winding heavy mono on my spool and I just cast with my finger on the braid. I use varivas 170 shock leader up to 250# Berkely Big Game leader. Anyways thats what I do and works for me, good luck on your trip....
GT FIGHT CLUB

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 02:01:35 PM
Maybe the 'Wear'on the braid is dependant on what Braid you are using..?

I certainly have had no dramas with JB solid.

Pete