Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cutest GT popper
February 25, 2013, 08:29:11 PM
I saw the cutest GT popper I have ever seen just over a week ago in Singapore.
It's a lure from FCL I have never seen before and it's BIG. I just don't see how this lure can stay in the water when you pop it though!  ;D
Has anyone tried it?

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Cutest GT popper
February 25, 2013, 08:38:47 PM
Man, that is cute!

It will surely fly straght out of the water though?  The overall proportions remind me of an Adhek prototype called Fish Nut I was using a couple of years ago. Could not keep it in in the water except with sharp downward wrist flick and it never got past the drawing board.

I also worry that such proportionately short lures will be swallowed.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2013, 08:43:03 PM
it's so cute though! I should have bought one to try.

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 25, 2013, 09:00:25 PM
I'm surprised you didn't buy it! ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2013, 09:01:21 PM
I regret not buying it now!  :'(

Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
February 25, 2013, 09:35:39 PM
I regret not buying it now!  :'(

Hi Brandon,

I know where you saw it, at LH. PM if you want me to pick it for you.
My arm aches just thinking about chugging that massive cup.

Cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2013, 09:39:13 PM
Thanks a lot, Ben but you would then still need to post it over here. I should be back before too long so will pick it up then. I just can't see how this lure can possibly work properly!!

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
February 26, 2013, 12:28:31 AM
I couldn't find the word 'cute' in my GT Angler's Dictionary.......... ::)

Marc Ong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 02:01:49 AM
cutest popper + cutest stickbait

the FCL popper is very heavily bottom weighted with a buoyant top half so its does stay in the water but not very well due to its length, quite an effort to chug. Probably not something i'll keep in the tackle bag.

Allan Chan Hian Lian

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 02:16:24 AM

the FCL popper is very heavily bottom weighted with a buoyant top half so its does stay in the water but not very well due to its length, quite an effort to chug. Probably not something i'll keep in the tackle bag.

Two more for the wall...
Very soon gonna run out of space..
Allanchl

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 04:36:46 AM
Howzit Brandon,

That popper looks alot like a popular local lure in Hawaii. The Mark White lure looks just like that except its made from ceramic and probably smaller than those FCL lures. They don't float and they make them anywhere from 7grams up to i think over 100 so after casting your constantly reeling them in, what a workout for such a small lure! its like reeling in lead with a flat face. But i've caught a lot of juvenile GT's from shore with it.

The one pictured is cracked but the guy replaces them for free.

Marc i've seen that lure you have pictured only once before and kind of wish I bought it just for the collection, have you ever used it? it looks so clumsy and seems like it would just flop in the air while casting it. Anyways the last time i was in Tokyo I took a pic of it along with a bigger version. Here it is and the tag is pictured with it, unique looking lure to me. Looks like the tag says "Kikuchim Craft"? never heard of them.

GT FIGHT CLUB

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 07:45:46 AM

Mark, that fat stickbait is seriously kawaii  - how does it swim? I'd expect it has a very wide wobbling action to the point where it is really hard to get through the water?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 07:49:56 AM
Charles, I've got a few of the Mark White lures. I found them really hard work to get through the water because you have to reel like all hell. I also found out that it is really bad for them if you cast them onto rocks!

On your second photo, I have just got to have that fat nemo coloured thing. If you're back in Tokyo, please pick it up for me!  ;D

Howzit Brandon,

That popper looks alot like a popular local lure in Hawaii. The Mark White lure looks just like that except its made from ceramic and probably smaller than those FCL lures. They don't float and they make them anywhere from 7grams up to i think over 100 so after casting your constantly reeling them in, what a workout for such a small lure! its like reeling in lead with a flat face. But i've caught a lot of juvenile GT's from shore with it.

The one pictured is cracked but the guy replaces them for free.

Marc i've seen that lure you have pictured only once before and kind of wish I bought it just for the collection, have you ever used it? it looks so clumsy and seems like it would just flop in the air while casting it. Anyways the last time i was in Tokyo I took a pic of it along with a bigger version. Here it is and the tag is pictured with it, unique looking lure to me. Looks like the tag says "Kikuchim Craft"? never heard of them.

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 11:33:38 AM
Charles, I've got a few of the Mark White lures. I found them really hard work to get through the water because you have to reel like all hell. I also found out that it is really bad for them if you cast them onto rocks!

On your second photo, I have just got to have that fat nemo coloured thing. If you're back in Tokyo, please pick it up for me!  ;D

LOL yah that sounds like the mark whites, its looks are decieving it will wear you out for such a small lure. One wind knot and kiss it goodbye..

Next time im in Tokyo If I see it i'll get it for you :)
GT FIGHT CLUB

Marc Ong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 26, 2013, 03:47:40 PM
bought the kawaii stickbait from Sansui. Yet to take it for a swim, bought it cause its too cute to resist. haha
Heading off to Oman later this week, and it's in the tackle bag, will take it for a swim and see how it goes.
Looks like it'll be a crank and wobble stickbait, doesn't look agile enough for any darting action.