Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Second GT rod - advice?
February 27, 2013, 05:49:56 PM
Given that I do much more jigging than popping and only pop on around 2 trips per year, I have so far been able to restrict myself to one GT combo.

That combo is a Coral Viper CV79/40, Stella 10kSW with SOM 16 spools which I fish with 100lb JB.

I have just picked up a Stella 18 and am thinking it might be time to get another rod also.

The problem is I don't really know what to get.

At the moment I fish primarily poppers around the 150gr mark and a few sinking sticks. But picked up a few gammas and some other floating sticks recently so might start doing more of that.

I see the CV as a bit of an 'allrounder' popper and stickbait rod for PE6-8. Debating whether to try and get an allrounder in the PE8-10 range (was thinking maybe Monster Hunter 80H) or instead get either a dedicated popping rod or a dedicated stickbait rod with a view to acquiring the other down the line - though preference is to stick to 2 rods!

Next booked trip is Vanuatu for a week at the end of the year but considering an Andamans trip sooner.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Dan

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Second GT rod - advice?
February 27, 2013, 06:37:10 PM
Dan,

I took the route you're considering and went with two all-rounders rather than dedicated popping and stickbait rods. For me and where I fish it seems a more flexible option and it only takes a minute to change lures. 

I have the MH80H for big (+150) poppers and even bigger stickbaits and have an EP 85/36 for lures below that, the CV79/40 was an option. One of the big advantages is that both balance nicely with PE8.

Regards,

Trevor

Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:39:35 PM by Trevor Skinner

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 27, 2013, 07:41:13 PM
Personally if I owned a CV79/40 as my only GT rod, I think I would look at moving toward one heavier popping rod and using the CV for stickbaits and small chuggers.

Trevor has done similar by having EP85/36 (although that is a fair bit softer tipped than CV79/40) and MH80H.

A bit depends on the size of chuggers you are likely to be using. Up to about 160 grams then I would suggest MH80H. If you intend using larger up to about 190 grams then MH79XH would serve you better.  Either MH options would pair well with an 18000 size reel and PE8 or PE10.  There is a bit of overlap between CV79/40 and MH80H, so maybe MH79XH would be the better choice. Don't be put off by the XH bit - it is nothing like the older Carpenter XH rated rods - still relatively easy on the angler.  If a creaky old specimen like me can use MH79XH, most GT anglers will have no problem.

All that assumes of course that you want to stick with Carpenter rods.  Lots of other choices out there as well.
Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:42:56 PM by Mark Harris

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 27, 2013, 07:51:09 PM
Thanks Trevor and Mark

It seems the MH80H idea has some support which I'm glad to hear. I was actually planning to get one at Sansui last week but they had no stock.

Unlikely that I'll be using chuggers larger than 160gr with it, so maybe the 80H is the way to go.

Should add that I'm not inflexible on brand choice if people feel there are better options in the same class as the MH.

Regards,
Dan

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 27, 2013, 09:55:03 PM
Personally if I owned a CV79/40 as my only GT rod, I think I would look at moving toward one heavier popping rod and using the CV for stickbaits and small chuggers.

Trevor has done similar by having EP85/36 (although that is a fair bit softer tipped than CV79/40) and MH80H.

A bit depends on the size of chuggers you are likely to be using. Up to about 160 grams then I would suggest MH80H. If you intend using larger up to about 190 grams then MH79XH would serve you better.  Either MH options would pair well with an 18000 size reel and PE8 or PE10.  There is a bit of overlap between CV79/40 and MH80H, so maybe MH79XH would be the better choice. Don't be put off by the XH bit - it is nothing like the older Carpenter XH rated rods - still relatively easy on the angler.  If a creaky old specimen like me can use MH79XH, most GT anglers will have no problem.

All that assumes of course that you want to stick with Carpenter rods.  Lots of other choices out there as well.
interesting what you say about the mh79xh mark, i agree with all of it! i picked one up from a fellow member recently and "blooded" it last weekend on a few gts. it wasnt nearly the brute stick i feared. i was using 125 cuberas, and it was fine. on a fish, it was pwerful, but still comfortable. i also have the coral viper and am very happy to have the 79xh as my second gt rod. nice stick.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 27, 2013, 10:06:38 PM
Mate have a look at the El Toro i have for sale in the classifieds section.

Chris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 27, 2013, 10:39:54 PM
interesting what you say about the mh79xh mark, i agree with all of it! i picked one up from a fellow member recently and "blooded" it last weekend on a few gts. it wasnt nearly the brute stick i feared. i was using 125 cuberas, and it was fine. on a fish, it was pwerful, but still comfortable. i also have the coral viper and am very happy to have the 79xh as my second gt rod. nice stick.

Spot on Doug, I chose this as the "heavy" rod to take into my senior years :) .

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 28, 2013, 01:57:17 AM
Hi Dan

Consider Hots Gipang 77xxxh! One for sell still at a very good price.
I only own the 75xxh (wouldnt mind going heavier myself). It cast well with 150gm thru to fullscale king kong. Hots rod in general is very bouncy and confy when casting and fighting. If you base in perth metro area, you are more than welcome to have a cast with it.

Another option is ultimo 79h. Awesome rod!! I find best with stickbait 130-180gm.
Also works well with poppers up to 150gm. I use my with fullscales Big180.

Ricky