Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

A video we made of a monster GT  hit and breakoff in Southern Oman with one of the best GT Fisherman in the Business. Chris Teng from Wei World was fishing with us in Southern Oman with Minami-san and was testing the new Hots BFT73XXXH, a beast of a rod and was using 150lbs hollow Power Pro line and a Stella 18000 and the fish still managed to break off. But the next day Chris got his own back and managed to land a 149cm GT which we estimated at 62kgs!

But check out the skill by Chris not to be pulled over board with a locked drag and heavy leader! I think I would have ended up swimming!

Check out or Facebook for more information on trips, reports and products, including our monthly competition to win products and trips for our FB members. www.facebook.com/oceanactive

Cheers,
Nick

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Why didn't you drive backwards Nick?

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Travis, We did back up if you check when Chris comes down onto the deck in the bottom right corner you can see white water from the engines and then we had the engines just in gear to try get the angle and keep the fishes head up but we were on a flat part of the reef in about 10ms of water for about 100ms around us. If we pull off any faster on this location to much line ends up in the water and also bye bye fish. All fun and games!

Cheers,
Nick

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Cheers Nick, iPhone screen a bit small to see. Interesting, big reef - I that's the case have you tried driving at them to try and get up and down on them? Sure you've tried everything, I'm just thinking out loud :)

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
I've tried to get on top of them but then the fish can drop his head into the reef easily and found we get the best result pulling the fish at a 45 degree angle to try and keep its head up but with this fish was close to the boat and still reefed us so don't think this one was supposed to be caught.

We normally get a good system going then all of a sudden something changes and we have to come up with a new plan, so always evolving, part of the fun!

Cheers,
Nick

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Exactly right - Its always fun to review the decisions made in the heat of the battle - if it goes wrong you always think you should have done the opposite!  In the end there's just some fish you won't be able to land - keeps it interesting!
Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:55:33 AM by Travis Heaps

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
ebbtidetackle.com

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Great video Nick, you can really see the the action well in those very calm conditions.
Set the ray to GeeT

James Wang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Man vs monster....

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Andy, I just wish we had those conditions and fish all the time! May make it a it to easy but was great visually!

Hi James, totally agree, still can't believe Chris didn;t end up going over, got to be confident to play on the bow hatch!

Cheers, Nick

Brian J Richardson

back down...go forward...15 second fight on a brute...that's awesome fishing...strike right at the boat and it's all worth it

it's called fishing...and not......

great video get's the heart pumping

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
100% Brian, can't win them all, this was a brute and got into the reef with full drag. Some fish not supposed to be caught but was great to watch! Heading down next week, the team down there has been catching some awesome fish the last couple of weeks. Even had a marlin come up and hit a bonnie that was hooked on jig!

Cheers,
Nick