Steve Carruthers

jigs in carry on?
April 19, 2008, 09:31:24 PM
Howdy guys, just wondering has anyone ever had any issues with airlines if carrying jigs (hookless) in carry on luggage?
I'm going to Taveuni Fiji at the end of june and there's a 15kg baggage limit on the island to island flight which I think excludes your carry on bag. So if we can jam reels and jigs into the carry on we'll be able to take a lot more gear.
Thanks, Steve.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: jigs in carry on?
June 09, 2008, 05:43:41 PM
Steve, I have incurred the ire of airport security with jigs before. That said, your flight to Taveuni is likely to be a very small regional airline without the same restrictions. I reckon you will be fine
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Kai Caiyang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 10, 2008, 03:32:29 AM
I do that all the time.
Airport security will wonder what on earth you are putting tru that x-ray machine :) the only additional hassel is to take out the jigs each time you pass any security check point :(

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 10, 2008, 07:12:42 AM
The problem is the lack of consistency and obviously, training for the guys who operate the machines.

I've been sent back to check in a baitcaster before because some dickhead was convinced it was a weapon of mass destruction. On the other hand, people I've been travelling with have gotten through with three Stellas or Saltigas with the spools on.

It isn't much of a problem in domestic if you get sent back but in international, that would be a big problem because you've already cleared immigration.

MikeOsborn

June 10, 2008, 07:19:37 AM
International is a gamble...... Had 3 out of 16 jigs confiscated at brisbane customs as they were deemed as weapons but the other ones werent ???

I found travelling that spinning reels get more attention by customs staff than overheads? Maybe they look dangerous on the scanner

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 10, 2008, 01:53:02 PM
my favourite is still their preoccupation with nail clippers. I really do not understand why nail clippers are regarded as being so dangerous especially when the really mini ones are about two inches long. Maybe they're worried you might slip it into someone's food and they will choke on it.