Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fishing Room
March 25, 2013, 01:51:46 PM
After many years of wanting to set up a fishing room we finally managed to get it sorted out and set up at our place in Dubai. Still a work in progress but happy with the results so far. This was a place that I set up to be able to keep all my gear in a decent condition and also to understand what you have. I find I end up buying gear when I already had some in a box packed away in a cupboard, so now it is much easier to find gear and not buy double and use what you have.

We use the room now for getting gear ready for trips, socializing and working. Amazing what a difference it makes to a work environment with a bit of order and cool surroundings.

I'm busy packing to leave for our place down on Hallaniyat Islands Southern Oman so was great to pull everything off the racks that I wanted to take and mix and match. We have been catching a lot of big GTs at the moment so really exciting to put all the gear together. I'm field testing some new gear including Carpetner rods and Hammerhead lures, so hopefully the fish come to the party!

Cheers,
Nick

Entering the fishing room

Different angle

Stella Cabinet, can never have enough of these bad boyz! One for every occasion!

Lure corner

Popping and Stick rack

General bits and pieces

Work bench, have to try and do some work on the computers!

Rod racks

Rod racks with one of the Gyotaku Prints that I got as a gift from Capt Fukui-san captain of the Big Dipper in Tokara Japan. This fish measured 150cm end of tail length and was caught from the shore.

Abel flyreel reel cabinet

Plenty space and still adding a fly tying station and rod building station.

Sleeper couch when i get kicked out the bedroom have a good place to sleep! Another Gyotaku from Fukui-san, this is one of my most treasured fishing items. This is a GT Capt Fukui-san caught 17 years ago from the shores of Tokara. Really honored to have received this print as it was in Fukui-sans fishing room in Amami Island.

Another view of the racks and entrance

Always when heading on trips it is a toss up what to take and how much. Luckily when we head for our place in Southern Oman I can send gear down with land transport and can almost take everything plus the kitchen sink. For this coming trip, I'm going for a couple of weeks and want to try a few different things. But as normal does a person need all the gear no, but it does make one feel happy to now you have everything you could hope to have on a trip!

Rods, lures, reels etc

Only wish the amount of tackle was equal to the amount of fish we caught!

Reels and lures

Hopefully the next couple of weeks will hold some great fishing and experiences. Lots of big GTs have been caught in the last couple of weeks so hopefully a few reports to come!

Cheers,
Nick

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Fishing Room
March 25, 2013, 02:52:43 PM
'Jon, I've found out where all that stock went'

Hit it, big guy

Trev 

Mark lynch

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 25, 2013, 08:50:39 PM
Looks epic! Very cool.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2013, 01:00:37 AM
Trev, I keep on having to check Jon's bad trying to get stock back into the shop! Just arrived in Salalah it has been raining!

Cheers,
Nick

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
March 26, 2013, 12:40:30 PM
Howzit Nick,

Nice room love the gyotaku's, but your missing something. No fishing room would be complete without one of these  ;).

My friend is an avid shore fisherman and boar hunter as you can see in the background at his house. This is a replica made out of fiberglass and I had one made for myself of a past fish caught.

Look forward to reading your future reports coming out of this room, always keeps me pumped for the next outing.

Aloha

Charles
GT FIGHT CLUB

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 26, 2013, 02:18:42 PM
Like most of Charlie's fish... that replica only weighs a couple of pounds.
zing :P

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2013, 12:43:03 PM
Nice room Nick!
Going through the house build plans at the moment which involves a large sliding screen door to courtyard access to the boat.Totally understand the doubling up comment when talking about tackle,terminal gear etc being stored away in cupboards or draws out of view.
I have given up a fair size man cave from where I have just moved from but have a new vision about the fishing room man cave idea and loading the boat for different missions,haha.Like the lounge idea too,somewhere to sit and tie traces or just kickback over a cold beer or two,haha.

Cheers

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 31, 2013, 01:55:02 AM
Great Nick,you have a Porsche in your room. :) :)

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 04, 2013, 03:08:44 PM
Hi Charles, hope you're well! Awesome replica and well worth it! Would put a great finish on the room! I have been thinking of getting a couple of replicas made in South Africa for the shop and room but can't figure out how to get them here without breaking the bank!

Hi Adam! Sounds great to be able to custom build a room leading to the boat! Could not think of anything better! Look forward to seeing the finished product!

Cheers,
Nick

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 07, 2013, 02:36:37 PM
Only trouble with everything out on display is my wife may get an idea of actually how much gear I do have,haha.

Cheers  ;D