Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti 2008 - brief report for now
April 23, 2008, 09:05:22 AM
Guys, I haven't go time to write a detailed report for a little while so I though I'd provide some highlights and the photos and get around to the more detailed report at a later time.

In a nutshell, we did not exactly have great weather - it was wind, wind, wind and boy, did it blow at times. It was gusting from 20 knots and upwards and in my view, at times up to 40. That made for uncomfortable fishing and we moved further north to find better anchorage. That was a shame because in my view, the fishing south was better. The wind and rough conditions made it very difficult to find the points and we also struggled to find fusiliers. Last year, finding the fusiliers meant finding the fish.

All of that said, we still had some great fishing and some really nice fish were landed. I also saw some real stonkers during the week and with an ounce of luck, could have been attached to a couple of seriously big fish. Andrew Woodley-Page fought an absolute monster for some fifteen minutes after Damon had somehow managed to pull a rabbit out of ahat by getting the fish away from its cover and into deep water. Unfortunately, the hook pulled on Andrew when the fish was about ten metres under the boat. I saw the strike clearly and that fish would have been upwards of 60kgs.

Gerard Edwards, Hal Harvey and Brent Hughes all landed big fish in he 45kg and upwards category. Gerard actually got two and was wondering what the fuss was all about with GT fishing.

Martin Excel managed to land 13 fish on the first full day and followed it up with a  duck on the next! Top bloke - he took it all in with great humour

Captain Ed Lester managed to earn the title of "Captain Crunch" by driving onto a reef. Andrew Woodley-Page saw the reef coming but did not say a word as he was sure Ed would veer away

Che Carson, David Hovinden and myself have earned a most uncomplimentary team title which will remain unsaid (what goes on tou stays on tour) for landing two fish in a day - after raising some 30-40. We raised the most fish of any boat and landed the least. We decided to blame the captain - as you do.

Overall, a great trip was had by all, notwithstanding the conditions.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Bugatti 2008 - brief report for now
April 23, 2008, 09:07:33 AM

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 09:10:34 AM

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 10:27:52 AM
Despite the poor weather, looks like you guys still managed some very good fish.

Were some of the gts tagged?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 01:33:55 PM
it was our intention to tag all the GTs but some of the dories forgot!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 01:43:19 PM
A very windy week at Bugatti easy beats a week at work, I kept track of the weather there for the week and there were gusts to Brandons East and West +40 knots and 30-40 knot blows around Bugatti ::).
 I like the Yellow Ebipop of Malcolm's, the full report should be interesting with the new poppers and the Coral Vipers ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 02:42:32 PM
Awesome Brandon,

Shame about the wind, that said - Some top Gts their and a few other species mixed in- it is all good. Looks like another successful Nomad Adventure ah......

Thats funny about Captain Crunch - Ed will have to live with that for a while, he must have been a little bit tired, a little bit emotional.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 02:59:14 PM
Hey Brandon,
Great 'mini' report and top photo's aswell.  What was the feedback on not using treble hooks?  By the look of the photos a lot of this fish are well hooked and cleanly also. 

It does look really very windy in some of those shots.

Well done to everyone, despite the conditions.  Can't wait to read more when you get the time.

Cheers Dave  :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 06:05:26 PM
I don't think I've ever been on a trip where I have seen so many fish dropped and believe me, I've been on a few! I just can't understand it. I had a few drop off after I had really driven the hooks home. Everyone else had the same problem and it happened all through the previous week as well.

Nothing to do with the hooks, I think.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 06:29:49 PM
Great results by the look of that.  Shame about the capture rate.  I've tried single hooks a couple of times but find trebles stick better (for me anyway).  There's arguments for each method I reckon.

Cairns Bommie Basher

Halezan Hassan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 08:37:07 PM
Good report, nice catch, can consider wonderful trip as numbers of GT caught was a succesfull rate  8). I wonder if any of the poppers were made locally? I have Bill's Bug popper australian made which I would give a try in my next trip  ::)

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 23, 2008, 09:46:50 PM
Some awesome fish still landed Brandon.

Well done.

Pete

Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 25, 2008, 02:49:23 PM
Brandon, those are some AWESOME fish dude.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 25, 2008, 04:13:52 PM
Nice pictures Brandon. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the CVs.

The GT that Hal is holding up looks big. Very big. Past 55kg I dare say ???
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

DarrenC

April 25, 2008, 05:09:28 PM
Brandon,

Nice fish! What were the Chinamans caught on?