Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Measuring Fish
May 02, 2013, 06:55:33 PM
This subject came up today with a friend of mine and never gave much thought about it before until now. So I watched an old dvd Legend 5 and there showing length and weights and to me some of the lengths did not look the same as some of the fish we caught with the same measurements but then again this is on tv and I could be wrong. How are you guys measuring fish in your part of the world? Here in Hawaii we measure to fork length in the tail.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Measuring Fish
May 02, 2013, 08:32:32 PM
I think lip to fork length is pretty standard?

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 06:00:50 AM
That's what I figure seems to be the most consistent way, but thought I would throw the question out there.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 12:58:26 PM
Charles.

I know Nick and his crew measure the same way.....lip to fork of the tail

Trevor

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 01:23:39 PM
Hi Charles,

I'm glad you bought the topic up. Someone has to mention the elephant in the room.

I've noticed that operators like Fukui-san from Big Dipper measure their fish laid on top of a flat measuring tape or board and they are measured from lip to fork of tail. I believe this gives an accurate and consistent measurement of the length of the fish.

Other people are measuring their fish by laying the tape along the top of the fish, stretching it along the contours from lip to fork of tail. I believe this technique gives an inflated and inconsistent measurement of the fish, particularly with larger and fatter fish, and could add many centimetres to the actual true length.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 02:22:09 PM
I would 100% concur with Malcolm on that point, and coincidentally was having this very debate just the other day.  If you want true clarity on the length of a fish, then having the tape on a flat plane is the only way to do it.

The counter-argument I received was that if you are not taking a girth measurement, then measuring "length" by laying the tap over the fish does reflect its fatness (ie. if there are 2 fish of flat length 120 cm but one is much fatter, then the extra "length" of that fish reflects the fact it was heavier). Hmmmm!  For the sake of clarity, if folks want a length measure then do a true length measurement!
Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:49:11 PM by Mark Harris

Rob Paterson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 05:40:12 PM
Hi all

Malcolm is 100% correct, all length/girth calculations are calculated with the fish being measured on a level plane, accurately reflecting the fork length to apply the relevant girth calculation .
This is an IGFA requirement for any official submissions, or competition regs being held under the IGFA banner, as well as photographic evidence.
That being said, practically it is easier to tape a fish using "contoured" method as is less hassle and gets the fish back in the water for a faster release, and in this regard only a length measurement should be put forward .

My 2 cents.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 06:27:24 PM
From a purely personal point of view, I'm not fishing for records, IGFA or otherwise and the length is purely as a matter of interest. Don't get me wrong, I have personal goals but in the overall scheme of things care little whether a fish is 41kg or 44kg. Length, even one that's measured quickly but scientifically inaccurately, is just a benchmark for those personal goals. Anything short of a certified set of scales is only still just a guess.

I much prefer to get the fish back into the water ASAP, if it has to be taken out at all.

Just my take

Regards,

Trevor

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 06:53:50 PM
Howzit Malcom,

I agree with you on a true measurement that you have to lay it on a flat plane instead of on top the fish. When I was doing Club Bass Tournaments this was how you measured fish. Most importantly because a lot of lakes had min sizes and slot limits where you could get fined at the weigh in.

Every GT I have measured has been with a ribbon tape measure laid on top of the fish, I always knew it was not the accurate way but it was the fastest. I started measuring fish because of our tag n release program here in Hawaii and the majority of fish measured was using this ribbon tape and laid on top from my understanding. But since the program came to an end I only measure fish which I think are close to a personal best or for kicks. I'll probably keep measuring this way since this is how I have always done it for GT's so I can compare past fish and its just faster and easier unless I start marking up the floor lol. But i'm not trying for anything official.

I agree with you Mark length means nothing without girth. I have had talks with a buddy who has caught all different sizes of GT's in the 100 pound range and unless you weigh it you don't know how big it really is obviously. But since we are throwing them back we use the length measurement as a standard now days I guess.

Trevor looking at the pics coming from the middle east I don't think taking measurements is necessary lol. I have met Nick once in person and he's a big guy so when I see a fish blocking him out I can imagine how big it is in person lol.

I just recently seen pics of Ed at no boundaries with a sling weighing fish, that seems like a good idea for guys wanting to know the weights except when in rough seas might be a little hard to get an accurate reading.

In the end if you feel the fish is big then its big who cares about all the numbers and what everyone else thinks at that point in time just enjoy it and the pics  :). Anyways just something I was curious about..........
GT FIGHT CLUB

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 03, 2013, 07:45:10 PM
Charles,

Slings are great I think and have been used for very big fish in the extremely regulated European catch and release market for years. 

But for GTs I think using them sensibly and only when appropriate has to be the motto. Nothing should delay getting the fish back into the water after a hard fight. Ed's tactics of laying out the sling on the deck ready to receive the fish saves a lot of seconds, and then when the fish is in the sling it's actually a good way of moving it up for a photo. Certainly better for the fish than the abrasive effect of the deck I think.  So all in all, a pretty good way of satisfying the angler and handling the fish I guess.

I am kind of with you that we should all enjoy the GTs for the magnificent beasts that they are, and not get too hung up about measurements.

But I cannot deny extreme interest in pictures of fish that have been actually weighed - it's a great way to gauge your own estimates :) .