Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quick Review 2013 Shimano Stella SWB 14000
May 07, 2013, 06:10:31 PM
Hi Guys,

The new Stella is out for distribution and starting to make its way into stores. I thought it would be worthwhile to do a quick

The reel feels solid in the hand, you will notice that the bail wire on the new model is thicker now..approx 3mm vs the old model which was approx 2.3mm. Overall design is similar, a little more metal in key places is likely to make it more rigid..rotor arms and base of rotor.

The new reel is a little wider due to the addition of a oscillation gear to improve line lay..closer wraps. You can see that it is also wider where the stem meets the reel body.

Remove the handle.

As you can see they have listened to the masses and finally produced a better handle. Nice design that eliminates the play that the old handle had via the hinge.

The knob is the same old egg design as the previous model, at least on the 14000. Same shaft dimensions so all the current aftermarket knobs will fit.

Undo the drag knob and remove the spool from the body.

From the top..you can see the new spool is of a different design resembling a bowl shape as opposed the step design of the 08.

Underneath there are also differences, the new spool uses a smaller shaft washer than the 08, similar in size to the 08 18/20k. You can see that the clicker is now external is certainly louder than the old model.

Lets hit the scale..new

10k 08 for comparison

New drag knob..sealing is now at the top of the knob as opposed to the middle section.

08 10k knob.

The new 14k body.

08 10k body.

08 10k rotor.

Looking into the rotor you will see that the nut retainer has changed and is now fixed in place by 3 screws.

Remove the spacers and shaft/spool washer.

Removing the retainer.

This exposes a larger rotor nut, 22mm and the shaft/bearing seal washer.

Remove the nut, reverse thread.

This exposes a collar and at the base one of the new O-ring seals.

Separate the rotor from the body.

Take a look at the rotor and you will see another of the new sealing washers..a better design than before.

Remove the clutch cover, again another sealing washer at the base.

Remove the top seal and you will see a few changes, new oil soaked to seal..also the small O-ring. The rest is basically the same.

Cover back on, better shot of the sealing washer.

To remove the rear shield you need to first pull the seal.

Once that is out a small Phillips is required to back out the screw.

Flip the reel over and remove the bottom shield screw and remove the shield/gasket.

Back to the body, 4 torx screws, 1 smaller than the others. You can just see another of the new seals on the main bearing, where the handle attaches.

Remove the screws and the plastic retainer.

Remove the cover and take a look.

Looking at the side plate you can see the new cover seal and that the bearing is retained by 3 screws.

You can see the new main gear, larger and faster than the 08 10k. Also the new idler gear layout due the addition of the new gear..similar in principle to the old FA.

Remove the main gear and you can see the changed idler, bearing retained also and the screw cover at the top for the shield. The AR pawl is the same as the previous model.

Couple of shots of the main gear, longer overall to accommodate the oscillating gear..thicker also however the teeth are basically the same size.

Different designs but essentially the same dimensions.

Works fine, the JM spool also works without issue.

The JM handle also fits perfectly.

And a final shot of the 2 reels.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Clem,

Great review, objective as always.

However, it's new and it's shiny and I want one.

Trev

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Clem,
Thanks for posting a very good review I've been waiting for, I am sure this will be very informative and usefull for many of us here.
So, is the 14k spool will fit the 08 Stella 10000 body? It looks very tight tough between the spool and the rotor? And according to shimano website it not compatible

Cheers

Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:56:32 PM by Garry Wong

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Clem,
Thanks for posting a very good review I've been waiting for, I am sure this will be very informative and usefull for many of us here.
So, is the 14k spool will fit the 08 Stella 10000 body? It looks very tight tough between the spool and the rotor?

Cheers

Hi Gary, there is actually more room on the 08 body than the 14k body..at least between the rotor arms, the spools are very similar in size and shouldnt be an issue. Remember though that the spool and shaft washer of the 08 model do not fit the 14k spool.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Brilliant stuff Clem.

So far I only have a new 5000XG. Compared to the old 5000:

- Love the solid handle and you get a Yumeya aluminum knob as standard. Very disappointing to see the tired old rubber egg knob on the 14000.
- The crank is significantly heavier than with the old model. Due to the new gear design and material I guess?  Is this heaviness evident on the 14000?
- I too have been trying to decide on the body colour and went for "midnight purple". It is definitely not black as has been widely stated!

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Brilliant stuff Clem.

So far I only have a new 5000XG. Compared to the old 5000:

- Love the solid handle and you get a Yumeya aluminum knob as standard. Very disappointing to see the tired old rubber egg knob on the 14000.
- The crank is significantly heavier than with the old model. Due to the new gear design and material I guess?  Is this heaviness evident on the 14000?
- I too have been trying to decide on the body colour and went for "midnight purple". It is definitely not black as has been widely stated!

Hi Mark, its a little heavier...possibly due to the new seals and extra weight through the rotor?..I dont believe it's any smoother than the previous model...as you mentioned the knob is dissapointing considering the cost etc

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Hi Gary, there is actually more room on the 08 body than the 14k body..at least between the rotor arms, the spools are very similar in size and shouldnt be an issue. Remember though that the spool and shaft washer of the 08 model do not fit the 14k spool.
[/quote]
I remember a while ago from US forum before the launches of the new Stella, it was stated that the new spool will fit the 08 model across all size but, they change it on last minute maybe they just realize that the spool and shaft washer actually different in size ::) it's quiet a pain tough when you have to carry those little things and have to change it when you about to change the spool especially on rocky seas ;D
Anyway thanks for the heads up as I am still considering weather to get the new Stella or stick with my 08 model as its been serving me faultlessly since the days I bought them

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Great read.
I'm hoping the jigging master 16000 spools fit the new 10000pg as mine is only days away now from delivery woohoo

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
I actually like the egg knob!!
After what Mark just said which is what I was worried about I may be on the hunt for another older model 5K before there are none left. I love the one I currently have!
Great read Clem!

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks for sharing Clem,

I don't see a bail trip, does this mean they are only manual trip? I hope so...

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for sharing Clem,

Hey Sam, yip the trip has gone....I hope they left it off all the smaller models too

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks for sharing Clem,

Hey Sam, yip the trip has gone....I hope they left it off all the smaller models too

They didn't :( :( .

Also, amongst the stack of little pieces of paper in the box of my 5000XG, I found this last night:

"Stella SW consists of harder material Gear components for durability and requires break-in period to create Gear mesh pattern for the smoothness".

I think it is good that they did at least expect Stella owners to notice the heavy crank, and to explain why.
Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:34:53 PM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Great review, Clem and thanks for the objectivity
On the spools, it means that the new reels can use the old spools for the 08 Stella without any additional fittings? If so, that's great news.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Brandon, correct no additional fittings required for the current aftermarket spool, if they fit the 08 model they will fit the 2013  :)...if for some reason you want to use a 2013 spool on the 08 body, you will need to change the shaft washer and spacers.

I have an 18k arriving any day so will check the compatability with that and update also.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
One thing to beware of is that what applies to one size of the new Stella may not apply to other sizes.

For example, on the new 5000, the spool is interchangeable with 08 spools (both ways). However, unlike with the 14000 the handle is not - the thread is a different size to the 08 Stellla handle.

Really look forward to hearing about the 18000 Clem.

Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:34:04 PM by Mark Harris