Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
thanks Clem, great job! needed some objective opinion on this latest series and your review couldn't come at a better time!

cheers!

Marc Ong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
just a note, at a recent tackle show, we tried to fit the Twinpower 12000 spool on the 13 Stella 14000 body and it did not fit.
The reel shaft was too thick to fit onto the 12000 spool. The 12000 spool did fit onto the 08 Stella though.

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Clem,
I think it's great being able to listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.Looking forward to your reviews on the rest of the new models.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Are the new Stella's ok to use without aftermarket accessories?

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Are the new Stella's ok to use without aftermarket accessories?

Cheers guys..

Hi Christoffer,

Absolutely, in the case of the 14000 it could be considered a complete soloution.. I previously used an aftermarket spool on a 10k body for extra line capacity (essentially what the 14000 now offers). In addition I also used an aftermarket handle as I'm overly picky and didnt like the play in the join of the standard handle, this is also now taken care off by the new design...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The 2008 Stellas were absolutely fine without aftermarket accessories and I would I imagine the 2013 edition will be as well.

The changes I have seen with my own 5000XG, read about here in Clem's excellent review of a 14, and alluded to elsewhere, all seem to be improvements.

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Just had a play with my 10K to see if the 16000 SOM spool fits and it does. But I have not spooled any line on yet to see if it lays ok

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
What knob did the 10000 come with Syd?  Egg knob or aluminium?

I read that the 10000 is now only available as a PG.

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,
The 10K pg came with the egg knob :(      And PG was the model I was after, hoping the new colour black goes with ultra-marine blue carpenter :-\

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks for that Syd.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Was it? No mention of line capacity.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Mark, you honestly believe the 10000 was fine without an aftermarket spool?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yep for sure Brandon.  Fished many times for GTs using PE6 or PE7 with a 2008 SW10000 and still do. 

That's not to say that it's not better reel for GTs after you spend a the money on an aftermarket 16000 or 12000 of course.

The new 14000 could turn out be an ideal factory-ready alternative to an 18000 for PE8 fishing I guess. 

Clem, have you spooled it yet? Shimano's line cap figures state 200 metres PE8 for the 14000. You could fit 200 metres of PE8 on a 2008 12000 spool, so unless the spool sizes have changed a bit, the capacity for the 14000 seems very conservative?
Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:03:22 AM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I'd suggest that while it might work for you in your environment with PE6, very few people fish that light for GTs here with most starting around PE8. You can't fish PE8 effectively with a 10000 without an aftermarket spool.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Forget PE blah blah. Talk breaking strain. Some PE6 lines are breaking at 90 odd lbs then there are some freakish breaking strains of PE5, so when you think about it 300m of PE6 that breaks at 90lbs is a lot of line