Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I'd suggest that while it might work for you in your environment with PE6, very few people fish that light for GTs here with most starting around PE8. You can't fish PE8 effectively with a 10000 without an aftermarket spool.

Might i add that putting 200m of new pe8 on a 10k spool is bad economy. After a couple of trips or a decent number of fish i have usually removed a significant number of meters of main line as a normal precaution due to wear and tear and when re-doing leaders. Pretty soon the spool is down to 180m which is still ok but not optimal or versatile so you don't get much life out of the spool. If you can have 250m on the spool then that is going to last longer before re-spooling is required. I don't like 'backing or joining on such a small amount of line either.

Alternatively if you had an excess of 200m of good PE8 line left off another spool it makes very good sense especially if an aftermarket spool option is not within reach.

Excellent post by the way Clem!

Set the ray to GeeT

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Forget PE blah blah. Talk breaking strain. Some PE6 lines are breaking at 90 odd lbs then there are some freakish breaking strains of PE5, so when you think about it 300m of PE6 that breaks at 90lbs is a lot of line

Sydney, i have been playing with PE6 recently for GT and had a couple of real nice fish. PE6 regardless of breaking strain is less resistant to shock load though, so it is always horses for courses, the higher risk makes it so much fun but. 
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Why talk breaking strain when it is almost irrelevant in GT fishing? The primary issue as Andy pointed out is shock loading.

Forget PE blah blah. Talk breaking strain. Some PE6 lines are breaking at 90 odd lbs then there are some freakish breaking strains of PE5, so when you think about it 300m of PE6 that breaks at 90lbs is a lot of line
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
You can't fish PE8 effectively with a 10000 without an aftermarket spool.

Brandon, that is most certainly true.
Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:42:31 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Sydney, i have been playing with PE6 recently for GT and had a couple of real nice fish. PE6 regardless of breaking strain is less resistant to shock load though, so it is always horses for courses, the higher risk makes it so much fun but.

Agree on all counts there Andy. Really enjoy the fun with PE6 but it should be in an appropriate environment.  Same goes for choosing between PE 8 and PE10 (you will be pleased I hope to know that I am now a convert to PE10 when fishing you-know-where and you were right all along on that one).

After all, our friends at Carpenter make a large number of PE6-8 rods specifically for GT fishing.

You might want to try PE7. Noticeably lighter than PE8 but it will give you a bit more confidence that PE6. And with 600 metres of Varivas Avani GT Max PE7 on a spool, and the fact that you can get 200 metres on a 10000, makes for very efficient use.
Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:30:58 PM by Mark Harris

Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
Outstanding Clem!
Thanks for the useful information.

Ali Saadi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
was really benifical for me , thanks

Glenn Han

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Thanks for the write up and sharing the review.  Much appreciated.

Gary Krol

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
just a note, at a recent tackle show, we tried to fit the Twinpower 12000 spool on the 13 Stella 14000 body and it did not fit.
The reel shaft was too thick to fit onto the 12000 spool. The 12000 spool did fit onto the 08 Stella though.

That's odd, I just tried my TP12000SW spool and it fit fine on a 14000XG

Ali Saadi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
thanks for the review ..
now we need to see some video for stella 14000 fished gts  :)

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Quick Review 2013 Shimano Stella SWB 14000
August 13, 2013, 07:04:06 PM
Thanks for the review, even with the concerns raised, I am still very keen on one of these 14k's

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 24, 2013, 01:28:48 PM
This review is very handy thanks Clem. I have just picked up a swb14000 spool to use on my 08 sw10000. As  well as needing the smaller washers under the spool, do I need a new drag knob also? The drag stack of the swb14000 looks smaller and deeper than the 08 sw.
Thanks very much

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
Thanks Brandon, correct no additional fittings required for the current aftermarket spool, if they fit the 08 model they will fit the 2013  :)...if for some reason you want to use a 2013 spool on the 08 body, you will need to change the shaft washer and spacers.

I have an 18k arriving any day so will check the compatability with that and update also.

Hey Clem great review (thanks for pointing it out Mark Harris) - I am in that basket where I want to use a 2013 spool on a 2008 reel - the shaft washers and spacers are all I need from Shimano?  cheers!
ebbtidetackle.com

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
John, yes all you need are the spacers and the metal stopper. I have been using the swb14000 spool on a 2008 body for a while now with PE6 and no problems.

Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
August 02, 2015, 11:45:34 PM
John, yes all you need are the spacers and the metal stopper. I have been using the swb14000 spool on a 2008 body for a while now with PE6 and no problems.

Agreed.