Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SWB 14000 Detailed look at some components
May 12, 2013, 08:14:24 PM
Hey Guys

Just a more detailed look at some of the main components..

As mentioned the reel body feels a little heavier, due in part to the new design..on the scale a difference of approx 22gms, assume this to be the weight of the extra components and the physically lager casing.

From the front, the SWB is little taller in overall height

From the side a significant difference, you can see that the SWA was angled towards the first guide...the SWB is more horizontal. What this means is that there will be slightly more pressure on the rotor when the line roller is at its lowest point

Line roller side

Checking the width of the open space - SWA

A design change here as the support collar has been replaced but built in braced support.

LINE ROLLER

Nothing significant here, basically the same layout albeit with some new parts..the SWB at the top and SWA below..Line roller itself is a different design, similar dimensions except for the outside of the roller

Overall..a few changes, the rotor arms are not as rigid as I thought they would be but still effective..especially now there is more room between the arms. There is more play in the main gear and pinion than I would expect...

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks Clem. Some interesting stuff there. Especially the part about the angle of the shaft.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks Clem, another excellent comparison, am i reading there is no major advantage in an upgrade yet?, based on the desktop study any way??

Cheers
Set the ray to GeeT

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I think it was always going to be hard to significantly improve the SWA..I think what they have done is simply refined the base reel. I think there was quite a difference between the FA and the SW, more subtle this time.

Still a very nice reel though, I think it is a step up...it's just not a big one.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Thanks for taking the time to do the breakdown Clem - really informative stuff :D

Jon Viney

• Fusilier
  • Fishing is a way of life!
  • Liked:
Thanks Clem for the break down. Glad to have you close by. End of season is almost here and i will be needing my reels sorted out. The 14000 looks very tempting. :)

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Clem
What about the drag knob, is the new spring that much of an imporovement?

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Mamoud,

It feels a little more progressive than the old one, but not too different. The seal is towards the top of the knob as opposed to half way down which makes more sense..the reel is growing on me...just need to use it.. :)
Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:37:30 AM by Clem Henry

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
No, service port has gone Sam

Troy Burbidge

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Thanks for that mate, pretty helpful. Do you think deletingtheservice port is any loss?

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for that mate, pretty helpful. Do you think deletingtheservice port is any loss?

Hi Troy,

From my perspective it's a loss, was a good quick option to add grease. Have to remove the cover now..I think it may have caused some problems for Shimano though in regard to what various owners were putting in there. A good light weight grease is all that is required... :)

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Great work Clem. I'm pleased to see your posting on GTPopping.com   8)

Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
HI

I  wasn't going to buy the new releases as I am totally  happy  with  my  Stellass and the upgrades but my  birthday  was coming and i knew if I didn't buy myself a gift no one would.  I  bought the 14000 from the states and took it on a popping trip to the Seychelles.  I  have to say that  it was smooth and did everything that  I  hoped it would.  It was a little bit heavier than the 10K.  I did catch fish with it including a GT in the 40 kg class on a stick bait.  The drag did seem to increase more with fewer clicks. But I can't swear to it.

My  issue is that  I didn't get  a replacement spool and lost some braid.  I eventually  retired the reel. Sorry  no photos as I am waiting for my  buddy  to  send me a dvd.. My  photos failed due to a leaky nikon coolpix.   Waterproof to 10 M my  a#$

rob

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Guys, this is not specifically on the subject of Clem's thread but I know that so many GT anglers are curious about compatibility between Stella 2008 after market accessories and the new Stella SWB.

My new Stella 18000 arrived today.  I have done some quick playing and I can report that:

- 2008 SOM No Limits 18000 spool is compatible.
- 2008 Stella 18000 and 20000 spools are compatible.
- 2008 SOM No Limits 20000 spool is NOT compatible - too long and hits the base of the rotor. This spool was compatible with the 2008 Stella 18000.
- Aftermarket handles which fitted the 2008 model are compatible.
- Aftermarket knobs which fitted the 2008 model are compatible. Have already fitted an MC Works knob as the egg knob the new 18000 comes with is just horrible.

I should add a caveat that all this was determined in my office. Under load, the 20000 2008 spool might get too close to the rotor. The clearance looked OK though.

All good news really :)
Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:57:53 PM by Mark Harris