• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Few more pics from that week ..

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Great stuff Ed, Sth Oman just keeps on producing incredible fishing, the ripple rods are awesome weapons for the job too.
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
With half of the April 2013 pictures still to come, it would have to be the best month ever of GT fishing there?

Great to see the Ripple Fisher boys taking the fishery so seriously, and a lot of other familiar faces making the trek down there to fish with Ed.

Very well done to everyone involved.
Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:59:31 PM by Mark Harris

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Great report mate, Richard is a great guy, thats a big Permit also..

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
Rich and co left and we had a day window with no charters .. i wasnt going to look a gift horse in the mouth so i spent an evening rigging up a few rods and tying some knots which in itself these days is a rare thing with knot guru's Yassir & Mohammed around. Our captains from Lamu Kenya have been such an excellent addition to No Boundaries and after spending a whole season in Shuwaymiah with them it is actually quite lonely now without the boys around.

I was going out rigged with 3 rods - Ripple Fisher GT78xh/Stella 18k/Craft Bait 190g Popper, Black Hole Cap Cod 8'0/Stella 10/16k spool /Gamma nemo and a Temple Reef GT78/Stella 18k/FCL LABO CSP.

In season 1 we had some incredible fish off a bommie between the big island Al Hallaniyat and the second biggest island As Sowdah, it quickly became known as Monster Rock having never landed anything under 40kg from there. The legendary location had slowed down through season 2 but i still felt it needed a proper session. Guests seem to loose patience quickly on this spot as the bommie is only 3m long perhaps and 2m wide but it sits in a great surrounding area and the Geets like to cruise from this holding spot to the others between the islands. Patience and lots of casts is key when there is no particular 'zone' so we switched off engines and casually drifted.

I completed the first and second drift without even a distant Gar/Green Marlin dancing across the top upon hearing the lure. I was starting to feel the pull of the islands and shallow white water reefs but Mohammed encouraged me to keep going so we started drift 3. I was switching up rods every 20 casts or so and must have completed near 150 casts through the 3 long drifts.

Sat in 25m of water and firing off casts with the Black hole rod/Gamma i was still managing to really concentrate on my lure and prepared for a hit any moment. This is such an important factor when chasing these monster fish, if you let your mind cruise off and just get into a thoughtless cast after cast then you can guarantee this will be the time Goliath comes up and destroys your lure leaving you a second off the mark. With every crank i am anticipating the hit and aggressive strike in return.

I was getting some great distance on the long rod and i had worked my lure to within 20m of the boat when time suddenly stood still. It looked like someone had dropped a car behind my lure .. in fact it looked like a bloody bus had just fallen from the skies! Just an enormous mushroom of water was suddenly where my lure was and i got a great view of the beast ruling reef with its huge head clamping on the lure.

I was ready and an instant injection of mega adrenalin left me hitting the fish .. 1,2,3,4,5 hits, keep reeling in any slack till this beast smashes me to the gunnel i reminded myself, tight again strike number 6,7,8 followed with Mo' starting the boat quickly and putting both engine into reverse. This is a big help when hooking the big fish that dont necessarily peel line instantly .. i was tight on the fish but it had not taken any line yet and i wanted to put as much pressure as possible on the giant keeping my barbless Gamakstu under a constant force.

It finally started pulling the Varivas pe10 from the 16k and I moved to the gunnel to brace myself on the boat. Mo' started talking to me about where he was moving the boat, depth etc and thankfully we had total control of the fish from strike due to hooking it in deep water. It wasnt all smooth sailing with some big runs and the final stage where the fish went deep and sat in the current but i powered on knowing this could one of my best ever fish.

Color soon followed and then shouts of disbelief when we saw just how big this thing was. It was hooked up on the middle treble with 2 ends of the treble in the mouth but considering how hard/number of times i hit this thing i half expected the hooks to be buried. Mo' bottom lipped the dinosaur with the gaff after laying out the GT sling. I used the last of my strength hauling the fish into the boat then marveled in its size and beauty.

I pulled the hooks with my fingers and with no tension they pretty slipped out and grabbed the tape measure. 155cm lip to fork and weighed in sling 64.5kg! We moved the sling to the front of the boat saving dragging the fish on the deck and took some quick snaps and added a tag to the fishes bling bling. When we released the creature it immediately righted itself in the water and casually swam next to us for 30 seconds. Neither of us spoke we watched this once in lifetime fish cruising so magnificently calm next to us, it eventually swam down and we sat and talked for about 20 minutes before heading home .. how could i top that, a truly ancient beast and P.B  8)

I have also included the fish from the very last day the islands were fished this season. Yassir, Mohammed and both house boys joined me on a rough day but mega fishing. The previous fish is my personal heaviest but i was still after a hatrick of monster Geets in a session this season. All fish that day were landed on the Ripple Fisher rod/Stella and 4 of my incredible 5 GTs took the WCP Delambre.

The biggest of the day weighed in at 51kg and i hooked it after taking off all hooks except the Assist off the front. It took 3 huge attacks to hook the fish up but i was stoked with the little experiment working and landing a big fish using just 1 single hook on such a big lure.

Mohammed also landed hefty 42kg on the Temple Reef Sunny and co from Singapore left him which was a nice touch, thanks again to that group whose fish are still to follow   ::)

Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:35:54 PM by ed nicholas

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
There are no worlds left really for just how well you did in April, and there is more to come!

Great to see the WCP Delambre 170 doing so well for you. It's a beast of a chugger for sure.  Monster Rock back in business eh?

Huge congratulations on your personal best. When you live Southern Oman, the words personal and best really have extra meaning.

Felix Neuer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
either Oman or Socotra ... wish I had more time to travel.  :D

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
Andy Rowe - catching my monster goes all the way back to the start of the season when you left me the Carpenter Gamma, thank you so much and we are looking forward to having you here again this year and even the following October  ;) !

Mark - pretty much an Oman vet now bud! April was just incredible and as you mention i have only posted perhaps half the GTs landed. I personally dont think we hooked more than we did at the start of the season but we landed a more significant number for sure.

Felix - there are some incredible GT destinations and Socotra is high on the list with its incredible beauty and uniqueness but i dont think you can look past S.Oman in terms of number of monster GT caught, quality of boats, guides and accommodation. Hope to see you here sometime.

Loads more of our pictures and videos here - www.facebook.com/noboundariesoman

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Well done bud that's an epic fish.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Ed, and what makes that fish so remarkable is the effort and persistence you put into bring the fish up, I have never counted but i am not sure i would put 150 casts in on one day  :-[ :-\.....

Well done on landing the biggest beast to date, even happier it was done on the nemo i left you.

Can't wait to get back for another shot at the big fish and the little ones too, I have a couple of new heavy duty rods to try out as well this year.
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Ed, and what makes that fish so remarkable is the effort and persistence you put into bring the fish up, I have never counted but i am not sure i would put 150 casts in on one day :-[ :-\.....

No, you would be having a moment at the back of the boat :) :) . More seriously, you do have an uncanny knack of knowing when to join in and cast!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Ed, and what makes that fish so remarkable is the effort and persistence you put into bring the fish up, I have never counted but i am not sure i would put 150 casts in on one day :-[ :-\.....

No, you would be having a moment at the back of the boat :) :) . More seriously, you do have an uncanny knack of knowing when to join in and cast!

Hi Mark, I am going to request a bit more shade for the back of the boat rest area ;)....an error in my earlier post, replace 'would' with 'could' put in 150 casts in a day. Very looking forward to getting back on the water with you and Ed (the task master) in October.
Set the ray to GeeT

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
Next up was Bertrand, Jerome and Jean from France. Bertrand was one of the very first Anglers to ever Pop at the Hallaniyats and i know he was arriving in great anticipation of the week to come.

Although the sea was lumpy we were happy making the journey to the Islands each morning for a small fishing window of around 4-5 hours. Keeping our boats in pristine condition is our main priority and over the past 2 season we have only lost 1 day due to a faulty GPS. Both boats are fitted with dual bilges pumps, life jackets, flares etc and one of the major advantages of taking them out of the water everyday is flushed engines & fresh water wash down. With total confidence in the boats we operated all the way up till the 3rd of May.

The French boys had an incredible 5 days on the water but one fish stands out after following a Popper all the way to the boat and then casually hanging around. All anglers were frothing at the mouth at this point and under armed a few Poppers next to fish which was not interested. Bertrand was the only one with a Stick bait rigged and with his Ripple Fisher GT8'2 Long cast slapped the lure hard on the water next to the fish and turned the handle on his Saltiga. The fish shot down about 2m, turned then darted back to the lure inhaling it literally point blank next to the boat.

Holding on to that steam train was not easy but Bertrand was a machine and landed the 52kg fish which we weighted, measured and tagged. Enjoy the pics .. still plenty more to come  8) All fish are weighed, measured and tagged.
Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:53:08 PM by ed nicholas

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
 :o Wow. Some seriously world class fish there Ed!! And that Permit.....  ;D

Great to see all you staff getting into the fish. Definitely a must travel destination!! See you soon, after I spend some solid time in the gym!