Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How to avoid wind knots
April 04, 2007, 01:31:09 PM
Is there a way to completely eliminate wind knots? In a nutshell, NO!!

That said, you can do yourself some favours to reduce the likelihood of wind knots. Much of this comes down to technique when you retrieve. What you want to do is make sure the line goes back on the spool with tension. When you're reeling in the popper or stickbait, reel it in in a manner where the lines is taut all the time.

As you know when you're retrieving, you point the rod at the popper or stickbait and then pull it to the side. When you reel the rod back to pointing at the lure again, ensure the line is as taut as possible between the rod tip and the lure. This approach is not just important to avoid wind knots, it is absolutely critical to ensure you are in the best position to react if a fish strikes. Countless fish have been lost by anglers who have failed to keep the line as taut as possible.

If you permit a lot of slack to creep in when you are retrieving, you can expect a wind knot around the corner.

Other issues - it has been a point of contention as to whether some lines cause more wind knots than others. From my personal experience, I prefer to use a proven casting braid like Varivas GT or TF XP. I personally do not use jigging braids for casting purposes as i feel some of these seem to result in more wind knots. I couold be dreaming though...........

I have also raised the issue of a long bimimi doubled section in an earlier post.

Views?
Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:50:36 PM by Luke Wyrsta
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: How to avoid wind knots
April 04, 2007, 03:37:30 PM
Don't overfill your spool , leave 2~3mm to accomodate the mono leader and wind knot will happen less often .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: How to avoid wind knots
April 04, 2007, 07:15:00 PM
Some good points there Brandon.

As i mentioned in one of the other posts, i don't use a Bimini that is longer than 2/3 inches.