sam williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Daiwa new Catalina 6500h
May 16, 2013, 03:29:19 PM
as promised i put it through is paces, well atleast a great session to wear in a new reel. managed 4 yellow fin around the 4-5kg mark and a 15kg+ wahoo this morn off pt lookout. i lost a reasonably larger fish i had the drag up around the halfway mark mabey pushing abit more on this fish and handled awesome until i pulled the hooks on it. as far as smoothness it is so good and the drag was perfect the wahoo gave it a good test. unfortunately no GT's but still a awesome morning.

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 16, 2013, 03:51:57 PM
Oh my god......finally you put your head up Mr IanC  :o

I'm sure these reels will do the job for fish up to 15-20kg or thereabouts.

Regards

Leo

Yes Mr Sorbello, I had to put in my 2 cents for what it is worth ;)..........what do you mean will do the job up to 15-20kg!!!!!!.........how about you double those figures and then add some more again. :P

Let's get out on the water to put it through it's paces aginst your bunch of gear...........now thems fight'n words.  :D

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:57:06 PM by Ian Cook

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 16, 2013, 03:55:37 PM
as promised i put it through is paces, well atleast a great session to wear in a new reel. managed 4 yellow fin around the 4-5kg mark and a 15kg+ wahoo this morn off pt lookout. i lost a reasonably larger fish i had the drag up around the halfway mark mabey pushing abit more on this fish and handled awesome until i pulled the hooks on it. as far as smoothness it is so good and the drag was perfect the wahoo gave it a good test. unfortunately no GT's but still a awesome morning.

Nice fish Sam and good to hear how the reel went.

What happened to your leg, must have been fun trying to keep steady in the boat.

Cheers,

Ian

sam williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 16, 2013, 07:50:25 PM
It was toes vs power saw at work a month ago i ended up loosing one and fracturing the other and causing tendon damage so i have a stupid cast on till next tuesday. Popping is definatly an experience let me tell you haha

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 16, 2013, 08:18:44 PM
It was toes vs power saw at work a month ago i ended up loosing one and fracturing the other and causing tendon damage so i have a stupid cast on till next tuesday. Popping is definatly an experience let me tell you haha

Sounds nasty mate........I can sympathise with you as I put a power saw through my left hand about 12 years ago whilst putting a kitchen in, luckily for me I didn't loose anything or do any permanent damage.......sometimes we get a bit over confident with the tools and drop our guard.

All the best and I hope you get something cracking on the Catalina.

Cheers,

Ian

sam williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 17, 2013, 03:12:09 AM
It happened due to gaurd failure it didnt flick back, i put it down and BANG! Was so fast i didnt even feel it haha. Im heading back out today hopefully this wind dies off and we can catch again

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 17, 2013, 06:45:56 AM
It happened due to gaurd failure it didnt flick back, i put it down and BANG! Was so fast i didnt even feel it haha. Im heading back out today hopefully this wind dies off and we can catch again

Funny you should say that as I didn't feel mine either, until I looked down, then after a few seconds it hits you as to what just happened and then the pain sets in.

Well good luck and tight lines today and report back on how you went, hopefully you can get something with a bit more grunt to give the Catalina a work out.

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:49:19 AM by Ian Cook