Paul Hourmouzis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leader to terminal knots?
April 26, 2012, 10:09:44 PM
Hi guys, first post here, been reading for a while and this is one of the best forums going around.

Just getting into casting stickbats at tuna and kings...wanted to know what knot is recommended for tying heavy leader (80 pound plus) to the swivel at the end of the lure. I've almost always used the uni knot for tying to terminal tackle.....but am trying others like the thumb knot, but not sure about its strength.

What do you use and recommend?

Regards,
Paul

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Leader to terminal knots?
April 26, 2012, 10:23:11 PM
Welcome to the forum, Paul. To most of the guys here, 80lb would be regarded as an extraordinarily light leader! A lot of people here prefer friction knots like the FG or PR.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 26, 2012, 10:59:06 PM
As Brandon says Paul, friction knots are the norm for connecting mainline to leader.

For leader to swivel or leader to lure, with 80lb leader (pretty light) I would use a 6 turn uni knot.  With heavier leaders, a 4 turn uni knot does the job.

If you are already tying reliable uni knots for that purpose, I don't really see any benefit from experimenting with others.

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 26, 2012, 11:17:51 PM
I have noticed that for the soft shock leaders, the line seems to flatten around the swivel with the uni knot. For grommet rings, the uni knot is alright for me but for smaller towing points like swivels, the clinch knot works better for me http://www.aquateko.com/category_s/22.htm.

Nick Bowles taught me this when he saw me break a 4 turn uni knot by hand on 270 lbs shock leader. I was testing the knot and I could see, the line broke where it was flat because of pressure from the knot.
Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:27:28 PM by Peter Olesen
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 27, 2012, 09:21:17 AM
I use the 'improved' clinch knot, after you put the tab throught the lower loop as shown in Peter's link bring it back throught the larger loop and lubricate with some saliva before pulling it down. I've used it on up to 240lb leader, this knot has never failed me, touching wood.

Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 27, 2012, 11:10:15 AM
No problem with a clinch knot either, or indeed a Trilene knot.

Never had a uni knot fail though in many years of tying them on leader weights I normally use for heavy casting applications (140 to 200 lbs).
Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:32:10 AM by Mark Harris

Greg Mandile

May 29, 2013, 03:22:55 PM
Hi,

I have been using the improved albright for kings on 30lb gear on kings but only up to 10kg or so, but on my bigger gear I want to connect my main line which is 60-80lb braid to about 50-100m of 60lb of mono topshot. I have tried to tie the FG knots but just haven't got them right yet so not sure I really want to try a dodgy FG or stay with a decent albright.

Want to chase tuna off Sydney, so could get anything from jellybeans to 50kg++ YFT or BFT (I have my fingers and everything else crossed as didn't manage much last year).

Any real issues with the improved albright or should I cut them off and start again?

Cheers.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 29, 2013, 05:31:51 PM
An old thread revived.

I had a recent experience where a swivel cut clean through 170 lb Varivas leader when I was using very heavy drag (15 kg+) and into a very large GT.  In future I will never use a uni knot without passing the leader twice through the swivel eye, or alternatively, using a thimble/line protector.

Losing the fish of a lifetime in that fashion was a sobering experience.  You never stop learning .....

Sean Costello

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 07, 2013, 03:03:19 PM
Exact same happened to me Mark in 170lb, used the ag chain after that and had no issues. Won't be using the uni again, nothing worse than losing confidence in your setup!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 07, 2013, 05:54:34 PM
Dead right Sean.

I have not really lost confidence in a uni knot though... just that with very heavy drag always go through the swivel twice or use a thimble.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 05:34:52 PM
I was wiring some poppers yesterday and it reminded me about adding to this thread...

Some may or may not know when the wire is formed on lures that are wired by hand, the pliers create a flat on the inside and outside of the bend on the tow point. So be careful when tying direct to lure tow points.