Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Assist rigging Poppers/Stickbaits
June 21, 2013, 01:29:32 PM
Thanks Mark

The double around the eye isn't a new concept in GT fishing - Pat Victorino from Hawaii was promoting this many years ago because of his concerns that the single loop through breaks under extreme pressure. My problem is I cannot get the double loop to bite with a uni-knot because of the way the uni knot tightens. I must be doing something wrong if you guys don't have this problem.

Is the trilene a good knot to use?

Personally, I think that if you are focussing on really big fish that you probably may be better off using a twisted leader. I feel this connection has superior shock absorbing capabilities not to mention that it is almost foolproof if properly constructed.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 21, 2013, 01:33:19 PM
Sam - why don't you try experimenting with a popper design where the belly swivel is (say) one cm from the cup? That way, it would be easy to attach a short assist to it rather than have the assist getting caught around the cup and leader.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 21, 2013, 02:09:10 PM
I am sure it is not new Brandon as it is a kinda obvious solution :) .  I don't have any particular problems getting the uni to bite although the second thread-through jumping out of position can be annoying and takes a bit of getting used to.

You can try either the Trilene or Clinch knots with a double thread but I think they are harder to form in heavy leader than a uni-knot.  That being said, Adhek uses a double threaded Trilene all day long. But then again he does that for living and is very used to tying them on a daily basis! I am very clumsy-fingered in comparison.

I am sure you correct about using a twistie. I just don't like the disconnect it creates between you and the lure. That's always a trade-off I realise.

Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 21, 2013, 02:54:35 PM
HI Brandon

The san diego is a double. I use it tuna fishing but never on GT as the line is heavier.

Here is the link to how to tie it. I have gotten it to cinch doubled up with 135 and 150lb test.

http://fishing.wonderhowto.com/how-to/tie-double-san-diego-jam-knot-for-fishing-247532/

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 21, 2013, 06:03:52 PM
thanks Rob

this looks like a pretty difficult knot to tie with heavy mono! I will try it tonight

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 21, 2013, 06:59:30 PM
Interesting knot Robert. I just tried forming it with very supple 170lb leader and failed. I got it OK with 120 lb and smaller.

Also and as you indicated, I think it will be too bulky for casting through guides.

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
June 21, 2013, 07:13:46 PM
Ed - have you experienced similar problems with a 3 turn clinch knot only passed once through the swivel ?

When I've being playing about at home testing knots to destruction I found that a uni seemed to fail more easily than the 3 turn clinch. To my non technical mind the uni knot is a lot more complex than the clinch and possibly has more pinch points at which it could fail perhaps ?