Roberto Allievi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Oman, best period?
July 23, 2013, 05:54:44 PM
Hi guys!!

Talking with a friend for the next fishing trip, he propose me to go in Oman next year and i apreciate a lot this idea...

I supposed to go there or in March or in the end of April, what do you think about??

Thanks for  help and sorry for my poor english  ;D

Ciao

Roby

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Oman, best period?
July 23, 2013, 06:12:28 PM
Historically, April seems to provide the most consistent GT fishing.

There is a chance of excellent GT fishing in March, however, it can be hit and miss with the water temperature and bait present.

The end of April holds the potential for prime fishing as the fish will gorge and eat prior to the Kareef. The problem with this period is that the weather answers to no one and can come early and settle, effectively ending the season. Of course, this gives the fish ample time and sanctuary to feed and be left alone  8)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 23, 2013, 09:28:01 PM
Add the early season into that mix. October is incredible as the seas calm after the Khareef Monsoon, and November can be very good as well.

In early October you can find feeding aggregations of fish that are just mind-blowing.
Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:48:02 PM by Mark Harris

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 23, 2013, 10:12:57 PM
Hi Roberto, Every season has been different in Oman for the last 10 seasons, as we think we have it worked out it changes!! But generally your best months for fishing are Feb, March and April for big GTs. Depending on conditions it varies when the fish start to spawn and so the bigger fish come into the shallows. 2011/12 season we started to catch big fish end of January, 2012/13 season we only started catching big fish in good numbers towards end of February. Traditionally we catch all the big GT 140cm+ end of the season but this last season totally changed and we caught more 140+ GTs in October, November into early December. The GTs were spawning and feeding like wild fire.

Generally you have better weather early in the season and more species to catch, end of the season we stopped the season middle of April as the khareef (monsoon) started blowing so we lost our last 4 trips of the season. But granted if the weather is good middle to end of April you can expect some monster GTs.

But in the end the really big GTs don't give a hoot what the weather or season is. The biggest GT weighed in Southern Oman was caught end of November and the biggest GT measured in Southern Oman was caught middle of January. So basically the two biggest fish were caught at the end or out of "peak" season.

Cheers,
Nick
Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:16:08 PM by Nick Bowles

Roberto Allievi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 23, 2013, 10:59:14 PM
Thanks a lot guys...

So is not as important the period as will be important the luck to find good conditions of see!

If you are in myself,  being able to chose any date in february/march/end of april/october/november what you will do??

in the first 15 day of april i have a very important fai so i can't move from Milan ;)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 23, 2013, 11:11:47 PM
So much will depend on the sea conditions as already explained, but I have already booked early October 2013 and early October 2014 plus mid-late March 2014.  So that's what I think :) :) .

Khairi Mokhtar

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 24, 2013, 01:51:44 AM
any chance the full moon would have an effect with the hook up rate over at southern Oman..?

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 24, 2013, 03:10:20 AM
Hi Roberto, There are definitely times of the year like Oct/Nov/Mar and Apr that will give you a better chance at hooking up more fish as these are the generally accepted high season with conditions being near perfect, but it has become a common misconception that these are the only times to fish, GT fishing unfortunately does take a lot of hard work so if you willing to put the effort you will generally get results from Oct through to April. Booking wise obviously the "good" months get booked well in advance with April 2015 for us almost fully booked, so you need to decide when you have the time and put in your booking with the operator of your choice and  hopefully the weather, GT gods and everything falls into place! I always maintain it is a Law of Averages, you have to have bad trips to have good trips, you have to catch small GTs to catch big GTs etc.

Hi Khairi, Obviously spring tides is generally the best period to fish for GTs as there is more water movement. I prefer new moon as opposed to full moon but this is a personal preference and it is a much debated topic what the best moon phase and tides are for GTs.

Cheers,
Nick

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 25, 2013, 01:48:17 AM
I echo Mark's bookings - I have again booked for the first week of Nick's season in October ... I am more comfortable knowing I am one of the first customers of the year flogging the water dead with huge poppers and stickbaits! (badoooooooooooooosh!)

I did first week last year - the reports speak for themselves hence the immediate rebook!

In reality - get something booked and don't worry about the seasons - you need to fish here!!!!!!

Roberto Allievi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 25, 2013, 05:02:39 PM
Now I know everything I need to know ;D

Thanks a lot Nick for the detailed explanation  :) :) :)