Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How long a drop
April 04, 2007, 06:20:22 PM
Hi all,

How long a drop from the tip of the rod to the lure would you normally leave for lures around the 150gram mark (or heavier) on a 7'4 rod ?

Im just having a play around and am curious if its much more different to a longer rod.....

cheers
andrew

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: How long a drop
April 04, 2007, 07:13:44 PM
I would have to measure it Andrew, but i use around 1 - 1.5 metres drop with that kind of rod and lure weights.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 07:17:06 PM
For me, it is not unusual for me to have the lure in the water. That's probably comfortably 1.5m or more. When the wind is behind me, I'm looking to get as much kick into the rod as I can when I cast and I want to get it high. having the lure in the water give it that bit more of a catapault efect.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 07:20:03 PM
I agree Brandon, i didn't want to state the length just yet because sometimes i am on a higher casting platform etc.

It probably is around 1.5 metres to the water considering your rod is pointing almost downward behind you at the start of the cast.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 07:25:50 PM
All my casting of lures since getting into graphite and composite rods has shortened my drop to 200-400mm, is the long drop to do with the tackle or the lure weight. It's an all new ballgame for me.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 07:47:57 PM
1.5m  :o

I never spin with such a drop.A bit hard to do on the rocks, but with my other rods I think I range up to about 60cm . I havent measured it and I doubt if I have ever used a 1m drop, and on some of the smaller outfits I use I probably go less when using lighter lures. Will have a go on the weekend at the bay off the sand to avoid knocking anyone out if I miscast. It might take a bit of practice with a drop of that long for me.

Just thinking now, do you use 1.5m drops as you on a boat or something where the lure can be dropped lower behind you ?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 04, 2007, 08:11:34 PM
that's right Andrew. It is on a boat. Not so easy on he rocks! What I do is get the rod almost pointing downwards behind me and I permit the lure to enter the water. The resistance of the lure in the water assist in increasing the kick in the rod. I would point out I don't do this all the time otherwise I would get too #$@!@# but sometimes, you can see a specific spot you really want to reach and you just need tat extra ten metres...........

A good captain wil generally position the boat where you are casting downwind so you want to get it high to carry in the wind. There is a huge technique issue with casting the popper rod and I learned it over time fishing with some really good fishos.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Hal Harvey

April 04, 2007, 11:22:10 PM
As long as you can. Short drops only work where the lure is light for the rod, an unlikely scenario with a big popper. The long drop does make casting less effort and gives better distance. As long as you can.