• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stella 2013 review
July 10, 2013, 10:55:57 AM
It's obvious that Alan is a very skilled and articulate person in this respect.

I'd take it for what it's worth and don't claim that the sky is falling like a few comments I disappointingly read above. You know what Ian and Trevor - don't buy it?

I'd rather see reviews after a season or 2 of heavy GT and Bluefin fishing. Then I'd be able to associate more valuable data that actually relates to how it realistically performs in the field.

The Top 5 is a list based on scores - based only on his appraisal.
 It doesn't reflect the opinion, performance and popularity amongst top-end reels according to the man on the street. Something to put into perspective!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 11:42:15 AM
As soon as i read the review i checked the new 20000 against the old 18000 and sure enough the play was there and its not hard to notice, I'm going to check the smaller sizes today and see if the play is constant across all sizes

Sean

It is there is there with the 5000 as well but perhaps less noticeably.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 11:55:48 AM
All quite correct Luke - as captivating as Alan's reviews are, extensive field use is what will determine any reel's success or failure. 

On the top 5 lists thing, I am wondering whether Alan just might have (for once) become wrapped up in the emotions of his own disappointment with certain factors of the 2013 Stella. If he did, that would be understandable. Objectively, I am truly struggling to see how the 2013 Stella can be a worse reel than "some others" on that list!

I guess many of us were a bit surprised about the fairly rapid appearance of a new Stella when the 2008 was such a fine model. There is nothing too unusual about that though when you look at other consumer industries - model replacement is the way with so much of modern-day commerce, no matter how good the preceding model may have been.

It's obvious that Alan is a very skilled and articulate person in this respect.

I'd take it for what it's worth and don't claim that the sky is falling like a few comments I disappointingly read above. You know what Ian and Trevor - don't buy it?

I'd rather see reviews after a season or 2 of heavy GT and Bluefin fishing. Then I'd be able to associate more valuable data that actually relates to how it realistically performs in the field.

The Top 5 is a list based on scores - based only on his appraisal.
 It doesn't reflect the opinion, performance and popularity amongst top-end reels according to the man on the street. Something to put into perspective!

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 12:34:32 PM
Think the whole thing is a bit over-hyped anyway.

I wasn't ever going to replace my 08 reels and the 13 reels I did buy just completed gaps in my ever expanding collection of rods and line weights.

It's incredibly annoying that these weaknesses are built into the new reel and Shimano need to retrospectively fix these issues quickly for their reels to maintain their dominance. However, I don't overstress any of my reels, not even the old ones, by upgrading drag systems and using non-standard oversize spools so I guess I am unlikely to have any issues with the 13 reels in terms of their use.

Think that placing it below reels like the Accurate is a bit of a knee-jerk, or at least I hope so.

Regards,

Trevor

Luke,

If you interpreted my comments as ' the sky is falling' then I suggest you read them again.

I actually said that I've bought the new reels and am happy to use them and I also stated that in practical terms the issues raised in Alan's review are unlikely to affect me. It is, however, an issue that Shimano chose to downgrade some of the engineering in a reel that now costs some 20% more. The market will decide whether that's an issue or not.Not me, nor you.

Regards,

Trevor

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 12:45:42 PM
Sustained Trevor  ;)

Lars: this is very valid and quite frankly, hilarious!

"You have to respect Alan Hawk's thoroughness, but sometimes I think he neglects the obvious. I remember reading his review of the Tica Talisman reel with no mentioning of the fact that the reel has a handle the size of a mid sized salami - kind of impractical for a reel that is supposed to be used for casting."

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 01:08:05 PM
Phew, that's a relief  ;) ;D
Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:29:56 PM by Trevor Skinner

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 01:39:18 PM
"1-Love.  Mr Skinner has one challenge remaining."

:)

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 02:02:24 PM
Marko,

Damn, I've pulled a hammy.

Trev

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 02:07:27 PM
Seriously though, Luke can pull me up for whatever he thinks he needs to. Surely that's what an exchange of opinions and information is about. I just thought he hadn't got my point properly.

He's a much more experienced fisherman than me and he's a guy I respect and like having spent time both fishing with him and as a roomy (tour rules apply mate).

Either we have a community or we don't.

Just my thoughts.

Trev

Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:10:37 PM by Trevor Skinner

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 02:14:31 PM
Spot on Trev. That's always been my view about on-line groups :)

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 03:28:38 PM
I think there has been a huge amount of hype and anything that comes out is going to be a big talking point both negative and positive. I personally think that with the huge amount of R&D Shimano has at its disposal and also the number of extremely talented designers they have, a lot of the decisions are based on sound reasoning, from durability to cost to performance which we may never find out but if there is a problem I'm sure then it will be fixed if required. I have used a lot of reels and seen every major brand of reel being used on our boats in the last 10 years and there is no reel that does not break. The Stella has by far outperformed every other reel I have seen on GTs. So we do expect a lot from the Stella and I'm sure it will produce like every other previous model but we just have to give it time to come into its own and not believe everything we read. Alan Hawk's insight and amazing thoroughness is unmatched but also to get the following he has he also has to be a bit controversial in my opinion. 

The same thing happened when the SW got launched there was a huge rush to get the SW and then a couple of months later there was a rush to try and buy the FA again. Change is always going to be hard and there will be new things we don't like and preferred on the previous models but over time the new will become the norm.

I for one have enjoyed using the new Stella and think the extended range it great. This next season we will see how the reel really holds up to a full GT season. I think the best review is our own as a fisherman. We still have FAs and SWs as charter reels so adding the 2013 will be a welcomed addition to the boats and our personal equipment, but it is definitely the case of not getting rid of all the SWs as they are still perfectly good reels. Must say the only thing I don't like is that the smaller Stellas have a great handle knob and then on the bigger models and the egg knob. Think this was an error in judgment but easily solved with an after market knob. But I also think has to do with the knowledge that most anglers will want to change the knob and there is more money to be made??? A bit of pimp my reel scenario!

Cheers,
Nick

Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:41:54 PM by Nick Bowles

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 04:22:34 PM
Damn Trev I thought I was your roomy!!!

Back on topic the review has stopped me in my tracks - I need another 18000 for my MH80H ... and I am really sitting on the fence on which way to go - although I haven't seen a significant drop in prices for 2nd hand 2008 18000 SW's so it will be more than likely a 2013 model

Can always replace the bearing that is lower spec - not an issue but the play bugs me ... I did have hands on with a 14000 at the weekend but hadn't seen the review and I will need to check it out again.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 05:11:21 PM
Hey Alex... there are some real deals around for 2008 18000s if you look hard. Eg: http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=6262.0  .

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2013, 06:33:09 PM
Hi Alex, I have a few clients that have wanted to sell their 18000SW I'll see if they are still available. Send it for a bit of Clem magic and they will be better than new!!

Cheers,
Nick

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 11, 2013, 06:59:42 AM
Thanks chaps - keep me in the loop if there are any!